wildfire305

The REAL Wheel Horse

AMC RULES

You'll find the "real" wheelhorse leads the team. :handgestures-thumbsup:

Look it up.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

wheelhorseman

Yep the (Wheel Horse’s) Are the most reliable and trustworthy horse’s hooked to the wagon

Edited by wheelhorseman
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

CasualObserver

Very cool @wildfire305 some history would be interesting there.  With the head/wheel logo I wonder if there was some corporate sponsorship at one time... or maybe the Ponds owned horses?  @Wheelhorsestory might be able to clue us in if he stops by.

Edited by CasualObserver
  • Excellent 2

oliver2-44

As AMC said the term WHEELHORSE has been around a long time, probable centuries.   The Ponds probable capatilized on the old term because of its meaning as the “lead horse “

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 2

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:Oliie beat me to that suggestion. Pretty cool. with all those garnishments. Busch horse got nothing on those.

• Like 2

Mikey the Monkey

That looks like the actual Wheel Horse emblem on those yokes. There must be a connection

953 nut
5 hours ago, CasualObserver said:

maybe the Ponds owned horses?

I was thinking the same thing as Jason on this one.

MalMac

This is what I have been told by my grandfather years ago. He was a farmer that farmed with Horses then moved into the mechanized world. So I am only repeating what I have been told because I know nothing about working real horses. 

The Wheel Horse is your strongest horse when working a team of horses. The Horse is placed to right front closest to the driver. Now this may or may not be the gospel. 

• Like 2

Wild Bill in VA

Interesting to note that square Wheel Horse logo that was used on both of the colliers of the harness did not come out until 1962 of which this horse set up was probably made in the 1960s .

ANDDDDD they just had to put 4 of the square logos on because the hood of the 702 only had 2 !

Neat find in a museum !

Wild Bill in Richmond, VA

• Like 1

c-series don

As old as that is, the person that knows the story behind that may no longer be with us? Obviously we would all like to know! 

WHX??

Maybe Don...Maybe not, surely the curator of this museum might have an answer had he been available?

Which brings up another question. .. did Elmer Pond have this lead or "wheeler"  horse fact in mind when he came up with the name for his brand?

Edited by WHX20
  • Like 2

wildfire305

Kentucky horse park opened in 1978 so... Maybe someone might know. I'll ask around if I have a chance. Also, that was in an area where some harnesses were still used daily. And thirdly, Toro is a minor sponsor of the park. 

Edited by wildfire305
  • Like 1

Retired Wrencher
11 hours ago, MalMac said:

This is what I have been told by my grandfather years ago. He was a farmer that farmed with Horses then moved into the mechanized world. So I am only repeating what I have been told because I know nothing about working real horses. 

The Wheel Horse is your strongest horse when working a team of horses. The Horse is placed to right front closest to the driver. Now this may or may not be the gospel. 

MalMac  Coming from you I can belive it. With your family's history.

ol550
13 hours ago, MalMac said:

Close to what I have heard. Rather than closest to the driver closest to the brake.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

EricF
23 hours ago, Wild Bill in VA said:

Interesting to note that square Wheel Horse logo that was used on both of the colliers of the harness did not come out until 1962 of which this horse set up was probably made in the 1960s .

Half a lifetime ago, I worked with horses... believe me, good harness equipment and tack is cared for to last a lifetime, and repaired rather than replaced. Each owner tends to add their own personal touches along the way. I'm sure there's some interesting history there!

Wildside

Right when I think My Wheel Horse Desease has taken me all the places it can now I feel the need to go to Kentucky and check this out. Maybe I'll find another RJ while I'm there.

WildHorses

My parents were dealers and I recall us going to Kentucky Horse park in the late 80's... I would have been 6 or 7 but I don't know why else we would have went unless Wheel Horse was putting on an event there. I'll check with my dad and see if it was Wheel Horse related.  I don't recall seeing any tractors that day but with all of the large horses and things, tractors being a daily occurrence in my life, I may have not noticed them. Most of our vacations and trips back then revolved around Wheel Horse events so I think it's highly likely.

WildHorses

Per my dad "Wheel Horse was a partial sponsor of the horse park. They provided some grounds equipment and owned 2 belgian draft horses that were kept there. One of the sales brochures had a picture of the horses."

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Wildside

Cool, What is the Name of the Horse Park? I'd like to look into this alittle more. Rather interesting.

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Wildside said:

Cool, What is the Name of the Horse Park? I'd like to look into this alittle more. Rather interesting.

That would be " Kentucky Horse Park "

Nice place and worth a visit.  I stayed at the campground years ago, visited the museum, grounds and took a horseback ride.

• Like 1

WHX??

For everyone's convenience

http://kyhorsepark.com/

• Like 1

Horse Play
On 9/18/2018 at 2:40 AM, Wildside said:

Right when I think My Wheel Horse Desease has taken me all the places it can now I feel the need to go to Kentucky and check this out. Maybe I'll find another RJ while I'm there.

Wheel Horses are few and far between here.  I've never found an RJ or Suburban; had to get one from Indiana.