Sign in to follow this  
bo dawg

D -160 cooling fan

bo dawg

Where does the thermostat attach to for cooling fan?

image.jpg

pfrederi

around a manifold pipe

fan.JPG

• Like 3

squonk

That thermal switch looks just like a fan switch that we use in refrigeration. Definitely clamps on a pipe. That's what the "valley" on the switch is for. 

• Like 2

bo dawg

Doesn’t matter which manifold pipe?

Edited by bo dawg

pfrederi

I doubt it would make a material difference but you could use the one in the picture..or what ever one it is easiest to get on....

bo dawg

After tracing down the wires to it, my first thought was it was wired up wrong, cause someone has done some splicing here and there in a poor way, It was hooked up to the light switch.

But after looking at the diagram it does show it being hooked up correctly.

Now for me that seems odd, I would thought there would be a separate switch for it or something cause I'm not one to run the tractor during the day with the lights on. But I guess on this D the light switch will stay in on position if I want the fan to kick on when needed.

Or maybe I will install a separate switch or could it be wired up direct?

pfrederi

You wire it to the feed side of the light switch, it is hot when ever the key is in run.  The temp sensor will turn the fan on an off as needed

• Like 1

gwest_ca

This diagram shows a temperature gauge wired to the Ignition terminal along with the hourmeter. Does the engine have a temp sender? From it's position on the diagram it looks like it would be for the cooling fan.

The lights are wired to the Accessory terminal on the ignition switch using an orange wire.

Garry

D-160  Auto trans cooling fan.jpg

• Thanks 1

pfrederi

The only difference is the fan would run while the engine was cranking... not sure i like that idea...  D200 diagram shows it off hot side of the light switch  being onllight switch it is coverd by a 20 am fuse.  don't see a fuse off ignition

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

bo dawg

Ok after making sure I have juice to the thermostat I don't think the fan works. So I pulled it out to inspect and the motor shaft is hard to spin. Can you get these any where? It looks to be a sealed motor and can't open to see inside.

pfrederi

The fan looks just like the ones that used to be used in trucks and buses to help defog windshield.  Did you try a little light oil on the shaft/?

You would have to figure out how to change over the base but this might work

https://smile.amazon.com/ALEKO-Dashboard-Electric-Adhesive-Aluminum/dp/B00XOIU18G/ref=sr_1_27?ie=UTF8&qid=1534782880&sr=8-27&keywords=12+volt+fan

Edited by pfrederi

pacer
7 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Did you try a little light oil on the shaft/?

Yeah --- I have even drilled a tiny hole say -- 1/16" in the covered area over the back bearing for a drop, and as paul sez, a drop on the shaft will often wick its way way into the front bearing.

• Like 1

lynnmor

Try lighter fluid (naphtha) to clean the shaft and bushings, then lubricate with sewing machine or gun oil.

• Like 1

bo dawg

I believe it is done for. Try lube the shaft and it still turns stiff but also hooked power to it and it doesn't do anything. I have juice going through it but no effort to work.

bo dawg

Ok I got the fan freed up so it works really well hooked up direct to the battery. Now I mounted back down under seat and hooked up. Got and installed new temp gauge, now waiting to see if thermostat will work to kick fan on. 

Do you know what temp it should get to for thermostat to open and make fan come on?

"D"- Man
33 minutes ago, bo dawg said:

Ok I got the fan freed up so it works really well hooked up direct to the battery. Now I mounted back down under seat and hooked up. Got and installed new temp gauge, now waiting to see if thermostat will work to kick fan on. 

Do you know what temp it should get to for thermostat to open and make fan come on?

I do not know what temp is needed at the thermostat switch, but if you just place a flame from like a lighter under the curved metal part, it will be enough to close the circuit.  You should not let the flame get close enough to reach the metal.  

bo dawg
7 hours ago, "D"- Man said:

I do not know what temp is needed at the thermostat switch, but if you just place a flame from like a lighter under the curved metal part, it will be enough to close the circuit.  You should not let the flame get close enough to reach the metal.  

I was thinking about putting a torch to close to it and see if it would make fan come on. I went and bought a small soldering butane torch and did it and it kicked the fan on. Which is great but would still like to know what the temp would be normally. 

Sarge

I would expect the threshold to be somewhere around 180*F to cool off a hydro system, maybe higher, but at 180* that oil is getting pretty cooked.

Sarge

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca

Worth a read

Garry

• Thanks 1

kick

I never new that some D’s came equipped with a cooling fan.  Maybe only the twins. My single Kohler 341 D didn’t. 

PippaScott

Try attaching it to the closest component. I am still learning stuff related to electricity and I would rather ask someone with experience, that knows better than me. I know the basics, but I love to learn more and more. My father has taught me lots of stuff and I am really grateful for that. One time, our AC broke down and I was able to fix it by myself. But, 2 weeks ago, we've encountered a different problem and we had to call someone from https://www.airconservicingsingapore.com/, since I wouldn't want to risk to damage something. Hopefully, we will no longer have issues

Edited by PippaScott