CountryRock

Briggs & Stratton 11hp on a GT2500 issue

CountryRock
3 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

What is odd to me is if that had happened while running there should be substantial damage.

What can happen internally when not running?

Maybe remove engine from frame and turn it over (upside down) and see if it changes.

Garry

Yea, I'm thinking if it happened while running, I probably wouldn't be able to turn it at all or the internals would be broke so badly that piston/valves wouldn't move and just the crank would spin.  I'm gonna try to clean around the flywheel more today and see what I can see.

CountryRock

I can't see anything jamming either the flywheel or PTO side.  I get a half rotation out of the flywheel before it stops, but the piston reciprocates one stroke and both valves move.  It's gotta be something inside, and right now I'm not in the mood to start tearing it down.  There's a chance I can get a 13hp Kohler from a friend for it.  Or I might take it to an engine shop for repair.  Got alot to think about now.

Edited by CountryRock

CountryRock

I'm actually starting to think that there may be a magnet that came out under the flywheel.  I'm going to buy the puller and a strap wrench to hold the flywheel and pull it off and see.

gwest_ca

Let's hope it is a stray magnet. They can be epoxied back on but the north and south poles need to be oriented correctly so it works with the rest of them. I don't know how they are positioned. Others here will know.

Garry

Daron1965

Did you find the cause yet? I'm curious. :think:

CountryRock
3 hours ago, Daron1965 said:

Did you find the cause yet? I'm curious. :think:

I bought a flywheel puller, but I haven't gotten around to working on it yet.  Not sure when I will.

CountryRock

A little bit of an update on this engine.  I pulled the flywheel today, didn't find anything out of the ordinary under it.  Theres definitely something going on inside it.  I had thought I dropped the flywheel key in the grass when I took it off, so I swept around with a magnet, but got nothing.  It seemed like the flywheel could spin freely when it broke loose from the shaft.  I'm almost wondering if someone else had it apart before and forgot the key and things went way out of time inside.  We'll tell soon enough, I got all the external stuff off the engine, just need to power wash the gunk off and I can pull it off and bench it.

IMG_20180923_155904594_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180923_155935503.jpg

• Sad 1

cleat

Is the key missing or sheared ?

Can you roll the engine over now with the flywheel off ?

oldredrider

Briggs engines use aluminum keys so the magnet won't find it, if it is out there.

• Like 1

CountryRock

Key is gone.  Engine still jams up when I try to spin it.  I'll be taking it apart soon.

cleat

I bet it sheared when the engine locked up and the pieces fell out when the flywheel was pulled.

Let us know what you find inside the engine.

Cleat

CountryRock

Could be.

CountryRock

Got the engine on the bench and split apart.  The issue was in the crankcase cover.  Part names escape me at the moment, but there was a shaft that fell out into the sump when I split it.  It looks like the hole it went into lost a bushing or something and jammed the gear up.  Take a look at the pics.

EDIT: The hole in the counterweight retainer got worn and the shaft mustve moved just enough to cock the counterweight gear and lock it up.

IMG_20181007_171815371.jpg

IMG_20181007_175044397.jpg

IMG_20181007_175059097_HDR.jpg

IMG_20181007_182922882.jpg

IMG_20181007_182943068.jpg

IMG_20181007_182955581.jpg

IMG_20181007_192955794.jpg

Edited by CountryRock
Added info.

bc.gold
On 8/11/2018 at 3:30 PM, CountryRock said:

Here's what it does.

VID_20180811_162608552.mp4

CountryRock
9 hours ago, bcgold said:

@bcgold Huh?  I just see my video reposted.

Edited by CountryRock

CountryRock

Do I need to buy a whole new crankcase cover or does that shaft just press back into it?