Bill D

What do you have for a workbench?

ebinmaine

Here's a pic of my downstairs work area to go with the description from my first post.

IMG_20180812_084710825.jpg.b72a108fdbf7c05065ba09d00593fa27.jpg

• Like 9

Shynon
20 minutes ago, prondzy said:

20170412_191911.jpg.1bc64ed64eba4b3384b9a4b38763e659.jpg

Old Diebold bankers drawer cabinets i found on craigslist with a 2x4 top on that and a peice of 16ga galvanized steel bent up for a wipeable top, been using it for 2 years and i love it. 11ft long 

Wonder what it looks like today:ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

AMC RULES

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

clueless
2 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Nice lift. And what every magic shed should have, a shoplifting mirror.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Marv
3 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Perhaps you could fix my Harbor Freight lift so it would do that.

Marv

squonk
9 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

I think he keeps the shoe horn in that gray cabinet! :)

• Haha 2

squonk

HD metal bench I bought for $1.00 :) Mac boxes about 30 yrs. old now. I tipped them over once! :-o

5b70b37f552c1_bench001.JPG.d3dc233c098ada1f0ac81b44137c8447.JPG

• Like 8

bo dawg

You have to over look the tractors but my home made bench is in the back ground with a crapsman work bench to extend it longer.

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0991.JPG

• Like 7

Pullstart
On 8/12/2018 at 9:13 AM, AMC RULES said:

I’ve thought about building a table that would cover my single post car lift for working on tractors, but I can’t find the time to quit working on stuff and build a bench top!

I figure if it’ll hold Norman, it should hold Putt Putt!

7B949002-0AEB-496B-8FE1-2B866EEFDB95.jpeg

• Haha 1

DBlackston

I work out of a 2 car garage with no workbench currently.

It drives me nuts not too have one but I just dont have the space, nor do I have the garage finished to a point I want to start filling it up with more permenant items.

Currently working on fixing the walls and then going to paint the floor. Insulation for the garage doors arrived last week. 

Need to add water and more electrical outlets.

With that said when I get an actual shop built my table will go in it. It will never go in the garage.

I picked this behemoth up for free as it was being scrapped. 

Weighs north of 3000lbs. 

Approx 3 foot by 10 foot. 2" top. 

20160709_121609.jpg

A funny story about me getting this table, when I went to pick it up I wanted to transport it on its top. The junk bolted to the top was quickly removed and I went to flip it over.

Not wanting to roll it over on the concrete and damage the table or concrete I attempted to push it over with the forklift. I was hoping to roll it 90° pick it up put it on the concrete and then flip it off the concrete another 90°.

It slipped off of the forks of the (underated) forklift  and rolled into the grass a full 180° and about 4ft off the concrete.

To get it back off on the concrete I had approx 3-4" of fork under the table, and the front wheels were almost off the concrete edge trying to drag it back up on the concrete.

We got it back on concrete though in short order.

Unloading it was a different story. I had asked my dad to unload it at my property so that it could be stored for a later date. 

When he tried to lift it with his 90hp case loader it just started to squat the front tires and lift the rear. 

A different plan was hatched and we placed some steel tubing runners for the table to sit on in the area we wanted the table to end up.

We then placed lengths of steel tubing under the table that stuck out 4 or 5 feet over the edge of the trailer and would (hopefully) pivot down to the area we placed the runners on the ground. 

We pulled the table off and it worked perfectly. Sliding down our pivoting runners and onto the runners on the ground. 

My only hope, and plan, is that when I get a shop built I will have the building company move the table in on the concrete pad before they erect the building. 

Although I have moved this table before, and it moves reletively well on 3 car jacks with 2-3 people pushing.

Edited by DBlackston
  • Like 3

Bill D

I got my "new" benches several months ago.  I bought them off a neighbor who is moving for $65.  They are made from 1/4 steel plate, angle and "C" channel.  They must must weigh over 400lbs each and are 42" H x 24" D x 48" L.   I will have to post some pics when I get time.  I spent two days cleaning and painting them.  I used SEM black chassis paint to paint them. The paint cost $120 an gallon, but well worth the cost.   I really wish I could have left them in the shop they came out of and bought the whole shop, a 40x40 block building.

ClassicTractorProfessor

Those of you following my shop thread have already seen my workbench. Its nothing fancy but serves its purpose very well. The frame for the top and shelf is built out of 2x4s and is screwed to the wall at each stud with 3 1/2" deck screws, and the front is supported by 3 4x4 posts that are secured to the floor by screws and L-brackets on the backside. Top is covered with one solid piece of 3/4" plywood, and the shelf is covered with pieces of 7/16" OSB I had left over from finishing two of my walls. The shelf as well as the floor space underneath really helped clean up around the shop, all the parts to Ray's C141 are tucked away nicely under there. 

IMG_20181110_133731.jpg.557180984e06566ab1cbc92a044640a0.jpg

IMG_20181110_135924.jpg.2e2ef76ceb2714d9fa3dbd35cb77921b.jpg

IMG_20181110_162700.jpg.9fb79be5f6f0c00fe44939687e95e8d2.jpg

IMG_20181110_183951.jpg.3562be0e565107ce77970e8cc02b3ef0.jpg

untitled.png

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

82Caddy

Scored a 9' long stainless steel table top for 60$ that'll get turned into a bench and replace a tired old benchtop.

39727494173_dfe6e7f18d_b.jpg

39727494153_98c8332161_b.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

Sarge

Old, used commercial kitchen equipment is like gold if you can source any - the stuff is heavily overbuilt and very often tossed when a business goes belly up. The problem around here is that sort of stuff is being snatched up by commercial reseller warehouses now - they want a fortune for equipment they got for basically nothing. I missed out on a 30' long work area table that was 46" tall, 6' wide and made from 3/16" thick stainless with far more than enough cross braces to make a few heavy welding tables - that one really got my temper up as the whole thing went to a scrap yard and got crushed as they would not sell it back out. I hate some of the local recyclers, they'd rather scrap some things versus just selling it back out - even at pricing double what they paid for the scrap in the first place. Anything stainless around here has become really hard to get your grubby hands on now due to their practices. Not sure if they know some huge markup is coming on scrap stainless or what the deal is, but it really sucks as that's how I used to source a lot of my materials around here. I can't get ahold of thick plate steel now, either, for whatever reason - they just won't resell it out of the yard.

Sarge

MIGHTYMO

I have 2 work benches. The first one I built when I moved into my house. 3'x8'x3/4" plywood with a 4" high border around it so nothing rolls off the back side of it. The other my dad made out of a solid wood door from my childhood home. Has been going strong for almost 20 year, a 4.0L out of my jeep, and the tranny from it as well. Still solid as a rock

• Like 1

Digger 66
On 8/11/2018 at 7:44 AM, rjg854 said:

.5b6ecc0d2e3eb_cabinets003.jpg.68b9191662ecd048f8920aafdc187ac1.jpg

I love the window for light but i'd probably have to replace it every few days the way stuff flies around my workbench . :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine

Glad to see this thread pop up again. I enjoy seeing how others do, store, use things.

I've a bench to add to the list now.

We've been reorganizing the cellar workshop and built this bench specifically for tool boxes.

I gauged the height by setting it up with the ability to see into the top of the tallest box a little easier than in the past.

More pegboard is like more cowbell. Everybody needs more cowbell.

(( @Mows4three ))

I'm going to have all of the electric related items and tools in the same place on that newest pegboard.

IMG_20190316_143855538.jpg.c340196014a2fd821c8b284ca188ba19.jpg

IMG_20190316_151434187.jpg.04c404c9100d716920edcd0637c07352.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Digger 66

Here's my setup , it's a bit messy as I'm in the midst of greasing the wheeler's wheel bearings .

Its big enough to work on yet small enough to force me to do a "tool cleanup" frequently .

bS8YIyx.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

wallfish

What do you have for a workbench?

A large counter top filled with clutter and about 10 different projects going on at the same time. Basically an almost useless flat surface with a vice attached to corner of it. 

• Haha 6

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, formariz said:

My workbench is 

A work of art....

• Heart 1

wallfish

:text-yeahthat:

Very nice! Well thought out. Love the wood gutter tool holder idea to go with it too.

bottjernat1

Here is what i built in my  10x16 shed. She is built like a brick $hit house. I am very proud of it! spent less than $100. and bought from the local lumber company BIg C Lumber! The guys there where awesome!

bottjernat1

Here is what i built in my  10x16 shed. She is built like a brick $hit house. I am very proud of it! spent less than $100. and bought from the local lumber company BIg C Lumber! The guys there where awesome!FB_IMG_1545610022321.jpg

Edited by bottjernat1
  • Like 2