Bill D

What do you have for a workbench?

Bill D

I am looking fo a new workbench for my garage.  I would like to know/see what others are using.  I have looked at everything from homemade benches to stainless steel kitchen tables from the local resturant supply store.  Thanks.

Bill

Jerry77

Don't have a picture of it, but my table is 3' wide by 5' long...top is 1/2 inch plate steel..legs are 6" by 6" - by 1/2 inch angle iron..got all the steel at scrap price...table weighs 600 ;pounds and you can beat on it all day and not hurt it..put a six inch vise on it too....goes with the garage when I sell...no way to move  ti  ..:lol:  just my opinion, but I wouldn't get a lightweight bench ( table )...you will invariably want to pound on something or set heavy objects on it...:twocents-02cents:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Jerry77 said:

wouldn't get a lightweight bench ( table )...you will invariably want to pound on something or set heavy objects

I agree with that

I have two workshops. The one in the basement has an L-shaped workbench that I built right onto the wall. Each section is a 30 inch or 36 inch wide piece of plywood that is 8 ft long. So, 1 L is 10 ft 6 in long or so.

All the legs are heavy duty and very well braced and the top is plastic type tongue and groove fake wood flooring.

The one in my outdoor Workshop shed is much smaller but just as rugged. I didn't build that one but I did actually model the one downstairs after it.

The one thing that I would recommend is if you're going to have a vice, perhaps build that section a little lower than the rest. I built my workbench not knowing I was going to purchase a vice and there are days when I wish the vice was closer to the ground. Not a deal-breaker at all, just something I would recommend.

The best possible advice I can give about a workbench is go big or go home. Don't even bother with the light duty stuff. You'll regret it almost immediately. Build it heavier than you think you're going to ever ever ever need it and you should be satisfied.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHNJ701
8 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

I did 2 harbor freight boxes plus and end box in between and then built a bench on top. This is when I first put it in, the top wasn't painted and it isn't messy yet, But you get the idea!! 

KIMG0449.jpg

Randy

plus yours has the beer option 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

RandyLittrell

This isn't a workbench but when I was moving in my shop, I build shelves just high enough that rubbermaid containers would fit. You get a ton of storage and don't lose any floor space. 

KIMG0459 (1).JPG

• Like 8

c-series don

Better label those containers or else too many trips to the refrigerator and you will be saying to yourself "hmm I wonder which one its in?" 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

squonk
9 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

I did 2 harbor freight boxes plus and end box in between and then built a bench on top. This is when I first put it in, the top wasn't painted and it isn't messy yet, But you get the idea!! 

KIMG0449.jpg

Randy

If you want to cool your shop, you're going to have to put another fridge on the other end! :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

RandyLittrell
8 hours ago, c-series don said:

Better label those containers or else too many trips to the refrigerator and you will be saying to yourself "hmm I wonder which one its in?" 😂😂

True story!! 

Randy

• Like 1

squonk
5 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

When I got the over head door for the barn, they had shipped it on a panel from another door so I used that as my work bench it was 2' wide and 16' long it's held up real well for the 15 years since I did it.5b6ecc0d2e3eb_cabinets003.jpg.68b9191662ecd048f8920aafdc187ac1.jpg

Ok Randy, show them the rest of the "Kitchen"! :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

rjg854

hey what can I say a man has got to have a get away, I don't have any pictures of the 3/4 bathroom :ychain:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

hey what can I say a man has got to have a get away, I don't have any pictures of the 3/4 bathroom :ychain:

Omg you're awesome

rjg854

That's my livelihood Eric, I'm a finish carpenter turned framing foreman for a custom home builder.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

A solid core door makes a good bench top, plus many are 3 ft wise, but you can cut them to the width you prefer

• Like 3

squonk
5 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

A solid core door makes a good bench top, plus many are 3 ft wise, but you can cut them to the width you prefer

Back in my hospital days the lead mechanic had a desk covered in papers and junk. He retired.The controls guy who had his own office took the position but kept his office. So I get promoted and get the old lead guy's desk. I take a morning to clean it off. Turns out it was 2, 3 drawer file cabinets with a solid oak fire rated door for a patient room between them. That mohambie was heavy. When I finally got a real desk nobody wanted to help me get that door out of the shop! :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Marv

Well as humble as mine is, here it is anyway: The solid wood top one is 2 in. thick and it is 6 feet long.

I use the roll around a lot. I made it back in 76 and it has seen a lot of use.

20170514_143151 (1).jpg

20180811_144900.jpg

20180811_171524.jpg

20180811_170345.jpg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Tractor boy
6 hours ago, squonk said:

Back in my hospital days the lead mechanic had a desk covered in papers and junk. He retired.The controls guy who had his own office took the position but kept his office. So I get promoted and get the old lead guy's desk. I take a morning to clean it off. Turns out it was 2, 3 drawer file cabinets with a solid oak fire rated door for a patient room between them. That mohambie was heavy. When I finally got a real desk nobody wanted to help me get that door out of the shop! :)

Perhaps you could tell me what a mechanic would be doing at a hospital?

• Haha 1

rjg854

Anything related to electric, a/c, plumbing and heating and refrigeration and the like are considered mechanicals, and require a "mechanic ".

Edited by rjg854
More
  • Like 2

Machineguy

The phrase 10lbs in a 5lb bag applies to my workbench and shop! :ROTF:

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

squonk
9 hours ago, Tractor boy said:

Perhaps you could tell me what a mechanic would be doing at a hospital?

Here's what I did. Beds, steam boilers, chillers, AHU's, kitchen equipment, refrigeration (including the morgue cooler) :) pneumatic tube system (like the banks have for the auto tellers) building automation, air pressure and balancing in the OR's, pumps,exhaust fans, blast fereezers,ice machines,cooling towers,water treatment. :occasion-xmas:

• Like 3