jerry moore

Pto clutch modification

jerry moore

I have a 1972 charger 12 that the electric pto clutch gave up. Has anyone used a modern electric clutch on theirs? If so what was the brand and part number? My mower has a 12 horse kohler with the 1.125" crankshaft.

pfrederi

Welcome!!!

It might be simpler and cheaper to convert it to a manual PTO.  Also Electric PTOs show up on Ebay from time to time.

This is a manual PTO set up on a Charger.  You need the bracket that bolts to the hoodstand (holes are already there)  the long rod and a PTO friction plate and cone.  Is an easy job

A modern Electric PTO would require fabricating a mount and would not have the dual pulleys that give different speeds for mowing  or snowblowing

IMG_3529.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

jerry moore

I saw a NOS on on ebay. Not ready to pull the trigger on it yet. Wheel horse an gravely parts in Oklahoma are like unicorns. I found a modern clutch I think will work but It will be a winter project before I can get to it.

KC9KAS

@jerry moore :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Thanks 1

953 nut
11 hours ago, pfrederi said:

You need the bracket that bolts to the hoodstand (holes are already there)  the long rod and a PTO friction plate and cone

You will also need the drive pulley as there are threaded holes in it for the friction plate to bolt to.

paxz71usa

Hello Jerry,

Is the issue with your PTO electrical or is it the clutch itself? I'm not familiar with the clutch itself, but I had issues with the coil that engages the clutch when I bought my tractor (1973 12 automatic). I tried repairing the coil with limited success so that's not a good option if this is your problem. I posted my issue here and had an offer for a used coil the next day which I purchased and I'm in my second mowing season with it. I also was checking around and found at least one electric motor rebuild shop that would make a new winding for the coil. I haven't done that yet but I saw one that they did and it looked very professional and well done. However it was much more expensive than the used one. I'm looking to keep my tractor as original as I can, so I'm not ready to think about the change over to manual PTO yet. Good Luck and :text-welcomeconfetti:to :wh:.

Gary           :USA:

jerry moore

Clutch it self is bad.  I haven't made up my mind If I want to convert it to a manual set up or a modern electric clutch. I am leaning towards the electric clutch idea. That is why I asked if anyone else has done it.