WildmanC120

Tell me about the D-160

WildmanC120

So I will be going to look at/purchase a D-160 in a week.  I do not know much about this model.  All I know is I think they look awesome and would like one for my collection after recently getting my C-120.  Also the little extra HP would be good for a blower etc.  I also need a new project lol.

Anyways this one does not have the 3 point but he has one on another tractor I could get.  It has the Onan twin which I know nothing about.  Tractor doesn't look like it's in bad condition and has been under somewhat of a cover.  It has not been ran or used in a few years.  The story is there was an issue with the steering so I don't think it steers and then was parked.  

What so I need to know?  How hard ate parts to get?  How's the onan?  I. An add the 3 point and a PTO? Thanks

pacer

The "Big D's" are popular with a lot of us....I have 4 of them....

The Ross steering is a common problem on these, it can range from a fairly simple repair if the housing is still good, to a bit pricey if housing is broken, it is a pretty good job to remove/replace it. The 3 point is a most wonderful and handy feature, the PTO is if you have the correct attachments - attachments are a bit hard to come by. I dont know much about the Onan, they do have some issues that can be a problem - one of the other guys can elaborate more on them. The hyd drive can be a problem and you really need to know more about it with being able to drive it and ck it, It is also quite a booger to work on. If you feel comfortable with your mechanic skills and cant drive the tractor get it as cheap as possible (hah!, thats a requirement anyhow!!;))

• Like 2

pfrederi

I also can't comment on the Onan.  The hydro is frequently a problem.  The coupling from engine to pump is a weak spot.  Having e Onan means it is a post 1976 model.  Some of those got an external parking brake... Look for a brake drum and band on te hend of teh hydro motor.  Loos similar to those on 8 speed.  That may have prevented the most frequent cause of Hydro failure...the older internal parking brake that when used while in motion put lots of metal shavings through the system damaging it. 

Buying a non runner is a pig at a poke and should be reflected in a low price....

WildmanC120
33 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I also can't comment on the Onan.  The hydro is frequently a problem.  The coupling from engine to pump is a weak spot.  Having e Onan means it is a post 1976 model.  Some of those got an external parking brake... Look for a brake drum and band on te hend of teh hydro motor.  Loos similar to those on 8 speed.  That may have prevented the most frequent cause of Hydro failure...the older internal parking brake that when used while in motion put lots of metal shavings through the system damaging it. 

Buying a non runner is a pig at a poke and should be reflected in a low price....

He is asking $450 for it.  I'll try to get him down some too.  That should give me plenty of room to fox a few things on it.  

pacer

$450 is indeed too much for a non running D --- what with the unknowns on the engine and the tranny, they are just too big of a risk to gamble much money on. If it was running/driving then that would be a fair price.

You didnt mention whether it had a deck.....?? a mower deck or not enters into the factor of value. A good deck can almost equal the value of a tractor, they are becoming more and more scarce what with them rusting so badly.

82Caddy

Parts can be difficult to find.  Most of the major issues are noted above, but look at the bottom of the transmission.  If it looks cracked, damaged or like it is leaking, you'll have to pull the whole thing apart and get creative with a case replacement. It's similar to a C series but not quite exactly the same.  Steering isn't very tight radius (as in you'll need a football field to turn it around or do a 56 point turn).

I ran a 16hp kohler on one with a blower.  Even with loaded tires, wheel weights, chains and extra weight hanging off the back I had traction issues.  The single stage did alright in a Minnesota winter but I never really liked it all that much.

WildmanC120

This thread is starting to make me feel like I should pass on a D series.  Seems like they are plagued with issues and parts availability sucks.  

pfrederi
12 minutes ago, WildmanC120 said:

This thread is starting to make me feel like I should pass on a D series.  Seems like they are plagued with issues and parts availability sucks.  

They can be a great machine.  I have an FEL on mine and love it.  BUT  i had to spend a lot of time and some money to fix steering and hydro issues (hydro took 2 tries and a learning curve on resurfacing valve plates. A lot depends on your mechanical bent and how much time you have to work on it.  These are not things you do in a Saturday afternoon in the driveway..  it isn't a turn key operation and they are not the easiest WH to work on. If you can get it cheap and have a place to work on it try it.  if it turns out to be too far gone you can get some of your money back on parts....

• Like 2

FatJackDurham

Is that the one up here in Chester, Vermont on CL? I was looking at that, but I don't have the bandwidth for another project. A few months ago there was a fully loaded D200 with all the implements that I was drooling over. If this is the same one I was looking at on CL, my read is that its a bit of a project tractor.

He mentions the steering in the ad, so definitely check with the folks here about what kind of issues they have and how much to fix. Its interesting that he says the Onan "engine is worth at least that"... My read is that a broken Onan is worth negative money considering what they cost to fix. If he is right that it only needs a coil, well that just leaves the steering.

Still, $460 for a D160 is pretty tempting. Considering how long the add has been there, he might take less. I just hope you are handy. Something tells me this is a real project tracter, as I said.

• Like 1

WildmanC120
37 minutes ago, FatJackDurham said:

Is that the one up here in Chester, Vermont on CL? I was looking at that, but I don't have the bandwidth for another project. A few months ago there was a fully loaded D200 with all the implements that I was drooling over. If this is the same one I was looking at on CL, my read is that its a bit of a project tractor.

He mentions the steering in the ad, so definitely check with the folks here about what kind of issues they have and how much to fix. Its interesting that he says the Onan "engine is worth at least that"... My read is that a broken Onan is worth negative money considering what they cost to fix. If he is right that it only needs a coil, well that just leaves the steering.

Still, $460 for a D160 is pretty tempting. Considering how long the add has been there, he might take less. I just hope you are handy. Something tells me this is a real project tracter, as I said.

Yes that's the one.  It doesn't appear to be in bad shape.  It's covered and mostly out of weather. I was not going to pay the full 450 that's for sure.  It comes with a 48" deck I believe.  

Basically I want a D series cause I would like to eventually use the 3 point and PTO. Thought the extra hp over my c-120 for a blower would be nice too. Plus the extra weight. Maybe I should look into a different tractor. I would like hydros like the JD 140 or some Cubs have but kinda wanted to stay WH. 

Skipper

C195..... Best of both worlds IMO ;-)

• Like 2

WildmanC120
3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

C195..... Best of both worlds IMO ;-)

Those seem pretty rare.  Plus I would think the shaft drive would prove to be bennificul over the belt. 

• Like 1

Skipper

Well yes a shaft drive would perhaps be preferable, but changing a belt every few years is a good trade off IMO.

When I started looking at WH, I also found the D's interesting, but in my case, it was for sure not the looks that appealed. More the beefier tractor with pto and 3pt. More capable tractor, and less toy. When I came to know of the C195, it was a no brainer compromise in my case, but that does not mean it is so in your case. 

It was just a thought. 

• Like 1

FatJackDurham

I think a D series would be best for a loader and backhoe.

I'm not sure the snow blower for a D would work any better than on any other wheelhorse. I use a blower on a 416-8 and It was fantastic! If I could find a wide one that works on a GT-14, I'd like that.

After all, this is only a D160. If I was going for a D, I'd hold out for a 200 or 250. Go large or go home.

• Like 1

WildmanC120
6 minutes ago, FatJackDurham said:

I think a D series would be best for a loader and backhoe.

I'm not sure the snow blower for a D would work any better than on any other wheelhorse. I use a blower on a 416-8 and It was fantastic! If I could find a wide one that works on a GT-14, I'd like that.

After all, this is only a D160. If I was going for a D, I'd hold out for a 200 or 250. Go large or go home.

At this time I really don't need anything bigger than the D-160.  Honestly I don't need anything else besides my C-120 haha.  It's more of a toy.  

Maybe I'll look for a c-175 or 195 or 520h

elliot ness
3 hours ago, WildmanC120 said:

Those seem pretty rare.  Plus I would think the shaft drive would prove to be bennificul over the belt. 

I have had more then my share of C195's, and if you make the belt for the rear PTO slip or brake, you would have also made the belt on a D PTO shaft break or slip.. The C195 is a wonderful machine. I have had 8 of them.

• Excellent 1

WildmanC120

Thanks for all the replies everyone.  I'm gonna look for a C-175/195 or a 520H instead.  

dells68

I honestly wouldn't run yet.  Take a little ether, a coil, and a jump box and see what happens when you try to start it.  Try to talk him down first with a condition that it try to run.  I recently bought a D160 from @stratostar250 With a 48" deck for $450.  I sold the deck and only had to play with the carb and install a carb kit to get the Onan running and it is stout.  I might have just gotten lucky, but I really like the big girl!

Skipper
6 hours ago, WildmanC120 said:

Thanks for all the replies everyone.  I'm gonna look for a C-175/195 or a 520H instead.  

If you want the 3pt. and rear pto, only the 195 will be an alternative :-)

• Like 1

WildmanC120
1 hour ago, Skipper said:

If you want the 3pt. and rear pto, only the 195 will be an alternative :-)

I can live without those things for now.  Excuse for another tractor later.

FatJackDurham

If you do go out there, it looks like that guy also has a Charger-12 for sale, for $350. Something about the left side lever controls looks interesting, but I can't make it out in the picture.

pfrederi
20 minutes ago, FatJackDurham said:

If you do go out there, it looks like that guy also has a Charger-12 for sale, for $350. Something about the left side lever controls looks interesting, but I can't make it out in the picture.

It was an Electro that came with an Electric PTO.  It must have failed and when they went with a manual they went with a more modern style with the hoop and linkage used on C series and later..

00a0a_jq6mXdrqhiK_1200x900.jpg

WildmanC120
5 hours ago, FatJackDurham said:

I don't think I'm going out there. I have bad luck so I'll end up buying it and it will have more issues then I initially thought.  I dont need the 3pt or PTO right now so I'll just look for a larger c series to fill my wants for now. 

FatJackDurham

Smart!

Ben N

Hey guys I realize this thread in a few years old but I'm interested. So me and my dad have two D's. One's just a plain 160, the others a d-160 twin. I just finished rebuilding the Onan off the ole girl actually. The special thing about twi however is it has a loader, HOWEVER I did a little digging and I think it was actually sold as a set. Its clearly an ARK loader but their aren't any ARK markings on it, it has the wheel horse plate and stickers and such. Mind you the loader isn't in great shape but its a workhorse. Some guy did a real shotty weld job, looks like one of the beams split at one point and the guy just welded two plated onto each side to fix it. The entire thing is left leaning too. But does anyone have any info about these? Specifically the ones sold with loaders as a set. I'd just like to learn more about them.