WVHillbilly520H

Another Horse Hauler?

ClassicTractorProfessor

Nice old truck...can't beat the durability and ease of maintenance on those old late 70s Chevy's, been tossing around the idea of buying one like that myself, but the one im looking at has a 12' bed and only a 350 with 4 speed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JAinVA

Just what the doctor ordered.Has that thing got three leaves on the overload pack?

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

That’s a beauty Jeff.  I’ve always wanted one like that to install a 6BT Cummins in with the NV4500 and stought gearing.  Great find and that Rat Motor will pull stumps with that low geared manual.  Please make sure that you include pics as you work the old beast:popcorn:

• Thanks 1

dells68

Nice!  You can't be late 60's-70's Chevy pickups!  Tough as nails and last forever.  Enjoy your new ride and thanks for sharing Jeff!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
52 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Just what the doctor ordered.Has that thing got three leaves on the overload pack?

Yes sir it does.

• Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

@dells68 , @JAinVA  @PeacemakerJack@Achto @Machineguy and all others we better hope he doesn't  find a pocket full of money and drive the old granny gears to the BS and get @pullstart to be his loader. He will clean the place out.

• Haha 8

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@dells68 , @JAinVA  @PeacemakerJack@Achto @Machineguy and all others we better hope he doesn't  find a pocket full of money and drive the old granny gears to the BS and get @pullstart to be his loader. He will clean the place out.

If Kevin loaded it for me I probably could haul all Craig's @AMC RULES collection in one trip out of the Magic Shed :ROTF:...:auto-swerve:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

That’s a beauty Jeff.  I’ve always wanted one like that to install a 6BT Cummins in with the NV4500 and stought gearing.  Great find and that Rat Motor will pull stumps with that low geared manual.  Please make sure that you include pics as you work the old beast:popcorn:

I think I would have to go 3 or 4-53 Detroit Diesel leave the SM465 and add a gear vendors over/under drive.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

elcamino/wheelhorse
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

If Kevin loaded it for me I probably could haul all Craig's @AMC RULES collection in one trip out of the Magic Shed :ROTF:...:auto-swerve:

I think you would need a bigger truck and a very large trailer to clean out the magic Shed . He keeps adding horses. I think Mrs. Rules is on guard duty for the shed 24/7 .

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

peter lena

solid looking rig, while you are checking this out, take the time to get your favorite penetrating oil ,or fluid film ,inside those doors and the lower back of cab. as the fluid penetrates the crimped door bottom, and the floor closure it will start to spread and drip, and you will have stopped future rust. very simple to do and no door rot . I also use 680 wt. gear oil on the frame and bottom floor area. bombproof, pete  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

squonk
2 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

There's still the basement! :)

Make sure that seat in that truck is bolted down good. If you pop the clutch in granny gear that big block will have you looking at the cab roof! :auto-swerve:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

elcamino/wheelhorse
10 minutes ago, squonk said:

There's still the basement! :)

Make sure that seat in that truck is bolted down good. If you pop the clutch in granny gear that big block will have you looking at the cab roof! :auto-swerve:

We don't use bolts down here bailing wire is cheaper , we use rope for seat belts .

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

Achto

That is an awesome truck Jeff!! I'm a square body GM fan for sure & definitely a big block fan. It should serve you well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

I reckon I was a bit clairvoyant ? with those pics I drew back when I was a youngin in 1986 just needs a paint job like it...

IMAG4032.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

WVHillbilly520H

Showed this ole truck a little love today...the primer cleaned up well and I "gunked" and Purple Powered the engine compartment too pretty sure most of what's under there is factory original 1979 🤔.

IMAG4864.jpg

IMAG4865.jpg

• Excellent 4

Machineguy

Hydra-boost brakes, A/C and a big block! It’s a Horse in itself! 💪🏻

Oh and a dump bed!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Edited by Machineguy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Well we know it was green when it came from the factory. You may have to tie up some wire and hoses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
23 minutes ago, Machineguy said:

Hydra-boost brakes, A/C and a big block! It’s a Horse in itself! 💪🏻

Oh and a dump bed!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

The hydra-boost is seeping a bit at the 40 yr old hoses, the A/C seen it's better days R-134a ago, and the Q-jet needs a kit from sitting and ethanol but hey I got this this is the type of vehicle I was classically trained to fix way back when in Vo-Tech.

5 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Well we know it was green when it came from the factory. You may have to tie up some wire and hoses.

Yep pretty metallic green NOT JD green, I'll get in there and probably remove the A/C compressor and lines back the firewall straighten up some hoses, the carb plus valve cover gaskets and  ignition tune up as well, it does start and stay running on 2 pumps of the throttle from sitting all week, a small project.

• Like 4

Machineguy

I’ve had rotten luck with plungers on accelerator pump shafts lately. They don’t fit the carb bore correctly and flip over losing prime. I’ve got an 800cfm Qjet on the Impala from a 71 Buick 455. Same carbs were on Cadillac 500’s. Good carb but the ethanol wreaks havok!!! 

image.jpg

Edited by Machineguy
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

Momma says if I decide to repaint it I should go with "Mountain Dew" green what do you all think, the only color left is under the hood and the dash.

Screenshot_20180817-214536.png

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

Machineguy
19 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Momma says if I decide to repaint it I should go with "Mountain Dew" green what do you all think, the only color left is under the hood and the dash.

Screenshot_20180817-214536.png

Original is cool but Red with some stainless Wheel simulator covers would be sharp with the black bed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

Lovin that big a-6 compressor hanging on there! :banana-jumprope:

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Lovin that big a-6 compressor hanging on there! :banana-jumprope:

It would be nice to have it functional, but I'm scared of how much it would cost 🤢.  That's where those wing vents come in handy :auto-swerve:

Edited by WVHillbilly520H

WVHillbilly520H

A little more love today new steer tires that are radials vs bias ply, drove so much better coming back home from Walmart this evening...i should have included this last pic originally so you can see what came off it, Jeff.

IMAG4883.jpg

IMAG4881.jpg

IMAG4882.jpg

Screenshot_20180825-084723.png

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 4