mikemc53

C-81 cutting issues

mikemc53

OK, so I noted earlier today that I just got a 416H that is in need of some work - separate issue.

Since the 416 is not working and I have a real nice C-81 in need of a mower deck I took the deck from the 416 and put it on the C-81. Now, I haven't cut grass with the C-81 in a few years but it gets used regularly to push snow and work around the yard - runs like a top. Having a problem cutting though. It seems that with very little resistance the blades want to stop. The engine does not slow, or bog, but the mule drive pulley will slow and then stop, Now I know that the C-81 is only an 8 HP compared to the 416H but I used to cut with it before, pretty well. Could it be the mule drive itself? Not sure how those things work but wondering if that could be a problem. Spins the blades fine when it isn't meeting any resistance. Tightened the belt but it doesn't appear to be slipping, just the pulley slows then stops.

Thoughts?

953 nut

Is the clutch on the PTO slipping, it may need to be tightened.

• Like 2

Cee245

I agree @953 nut. The trunion needs tightened. 

Cory

pfrederi

Try tighten teh PTO trunion (blue mark) at least 1 whole turn  Put a splotch of white paint on teh PTO cone then you can see if it is slipping.

pto.jpg

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 4

wallfish

:text-yeahthat:

And since that PTO hasn't been used for a while, You can resurface it with a belt sander and lightly sand the clutch lining using a sanding block. Makes a big difference when both surfaces are flat and using the entire contact area for friction.

• Like 1

mikemc53

Thanks gang. i tightened it up and it made the difference - I should have remembered that from a few years ago. The trunnion is at the very end of it's adjustment on the very last thread. What happens when it needs adjustment later on?

dcrage

You will need to get a new belt. The current belt has been stretched and this has been compensated by adjusting the trunion. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

pfrederi

If you are at the end of the trunion you need a new friction surface  The belt will not solve that

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

mikemc53

Where is the best place to get the new friction surface and is it easy to change out? Could I possibly use one from another WH?

953 nut
58 minutes ago, mikemc53 said:

Where is the best place to get the new friction surface and is it easy to change out? Could I possibly use one from another WH?

PM Sent. There are new ones on Ebay but we are not supposed to attach links.

• Like 1