ohiofarmer

Should have had stitches?

ohiofarmer

Honda in later years reduced the quality somewhat on their main ignition switches. The good news is it made them easily repairable.   When I was attempting to remove the wear part of the switch from the key cylinder, the utility knife I was using to cut away the plastic ears plunged into the meaty part of my thumb.  It was a lot of blood more defined as a solid flow to the point there was no droplets.  Direct pressure for five minutes slowed it down enough to start the clean up. The stab wound was over an inch wide which meant it was an inch deep. Torn muscle was coming out of the wound which insisted on gapping apart a quarter inch or more

After putting some vintage Merthiolate in the wound [the kind that actually contained Mercury]  that thing burned like it had been spat on by Satan. The bandage was a sterile pad, a paper towel, and a few Walmart bags to hold the leaks.  The wound stayed gapped wide open tor a week and slowly closed in from both ends. At three weeks it was obvious that it would close together and now it is weather tight. Daily applications of iodine which also burns pretty good and watching for signs of infection helped things along.

The point of this is the human body is a wonderful thing. I had a wound similar to this that I ripped the stitches out of by lifting a heavy weight. The surgeon chewed me out and sent me home  without further treatment and it healed itself together so I thought I would give this a try. No scars at all ! 

• Confused 1

KC9KAS

@ohiofarmer what, no pictures?

Glad you are healing well. There is something about us men that just keep getting us hurt and not going in for "professional" care!

Had a tetanus shot recently?

953 nut

Thank you for NOT sharing photos!

My biggest fear of any cut that deep would be infection. The human body is miraculous when it comes to healing itself but a few stitches would have accelerated the process.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

ohiofarmer

I was afraid of infection as well because that knife was not clean and my hands were covered in shop grease. I wanted that wound to keep bleeding to clean itself out and it did keep seeping nice clean blood for about a week. I am not recommending this to anyone else, by the way,but I have seen too many hospitals with less than sanitary protocol --and some very nasty versions of antibiotic resistant bacteria live in hospitals..

As a cancer patient, my immune system of course was compromised, and I needed blood tests to monitor what was going on. The lab worker swabbed the site with. disinfectant, PICKED UP a dropped item on the floor, did not change gloves or re-apply disinfectant before feeling for the vein or after and then stuck me  for the blood test. One of the side effects of that  medication is difficult to manage anger, and I lost it big time.

I would not take a cat to that blood lab.....

• Sad 1

AMC RULES

...and, do you like cats? 

Image result for questioning kitty

wallfish

Napkin, electrical tape and a tube of Neosporin.

Even grew the tip of my finger back after cutting off a 1/4"

Edited by wallfish
  • Haha 2