Daron1965

Best model for garden plowing, tilling?

Daron1965

I'm looking for some advice from the knowledgeable people on here.  If you had a choice to get one wheel horse to use for just gardening needs,  what would you choose?

• Excellent 1

elliot ness

Best all around to me would be a C160.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
40 minutes ago, elliot ness said:

Best all around to me would be a C160.

That was going to be my answer as well.

The way I figure it is that I have a b80 with more than enough power to move the tractor so that extra 8 horsepower to drive a rototiller should work out quite well.

In reality, there would be a lot of personal preference issues on style, automatic or manual, how much horsepower you prefer. I would imagine that pretty much anything over about 12 horse with a manual would be adequate to run a rototiller in most soil types.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Daron1965

Thank you,  I am looking for a c160 in my area,  but not many to be found.  I am open to other manual models. Thank you again.  

• Like 1

JAinVA

Any of the C series or 300-400 series will serve you well.You should have a manual with at least 12hp and a tiller.I would stay away from the 1" rear axled 300 if you plan on plowing.I have used both the manual and hydro with the tiller with mixed results. The hydraulic lift is nice but I find with a hydro ground speed varies with every change in surface condition. I am planning to harvest potatos next week with a 520h powered by a 13hp Predator engine.Plows_1669.thumb.JPG.cd2554aac6726051de0b3e83e822540c.JPG

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

I prefer a hydro because of 1) the hydraulic lift and 2) you're never in the wrong gear, then a 20 HP twin cylinder Onan spinning the tines just my hillbilly (non)sense, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

pfrederi

12 hp is plenty for  tiller  you aren't going that fast...Low range 1st gear is best for ground breaking.  Annual tilling you can go faster

• Like 2

lynnmor

With my tiller, there is absolutely no control of ground speed with a hydro, I am constantly playing with the motion control and brake.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Tractor boy

@JAinVA what kind of setup do your use on the back of the tractor to harvest taters?

JAinVA

Here is the digger attached to Big Ugly.

2018.08.02.1842.JPG

2018.08.02.1843.JPG

2018.08.02.1841.JPG

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

My C-101 plows, tills, and works the garden just wonderfully.  I’d say anything 8 speed will surprise you.  Of course, if someone plopped another 6 Horses under my hood, I’m sure it would be amazing!

• Like 4

kasey54

The tiller uses practically no hp. I have a 10 hp 8 sp briggs, and a 10 hp kohler 8 sp , both run my tillers at slightly over an idle. I dig furrows to plant in with a B-60 with aggs on the back , and weight on the front. I havent  tried it, but I'd bet a pay check the B-60 would till just fine. I have extra tractors so leave them each with an attachment and have had no need to rearrange them, I find that low range 1st at an  idle tills the deepest for me. I love the gas sipping idle. Gear drive are by far better.

• Excellent 1

farmer

312-8 is my choice, I would definitely recommend a manual gear drive and make sure you get one with a high/low box. 

Manual lift with dial a height gives you much better control of implement depth. :twocents-twocents:

• Thanks 1

FatJackDurham

I used a rototiller attachment for the first time to break ground and mix soil for planting new grass. I had it on a 416-8. The comments about low first gear are absolutely true. It's so powerful, I was pulling up buried 3 inch cinderblocks, stones and breaking small roots. The thing jumped around something fierce, but nothing got damaged or bent and after a few passes, i upped my speed to second gear.

Never used a real plow, though. What are those for? Sod busting? I'm interested in what you use to dig potatoes too. Is that what that one with the spindly tines was for?

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, FatJackDurham said:

Never used a real plow, though. What are those for? Sod busting? 

A "moldboard" plow is used to "cut" new unbroken ground that hasn't been "tilled" before, after turning earth it's best to let it dry out a day or 2 then break up the bigger clods with a disc, then work it over the rototiller attachment, but I'm old school when it comes to gardening, I tried the tiller only once in new unbroken ground and IMHO wasn't worth the beating the tractor ,the tiller and myself took when it is easier on everything just to change out attachments, Jeff.            Plus all the plow dogs on here like @PeacemakerJack, @Achto, @WHX20, really think it's awesome fun to turn earth.

IMAG3375.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

WHX??
43 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

really think it's awesome fun to turn earth.

Can't help it... mind's always in the dirt:lol:

I would go with a 160 and it's funny you should say there are none in your area, PA is usually crawling with them.

Next choice would be a 3 or 400  in 10,12 or 14 HP. preferably 14, I would just want the extra ponies. All six speed  manuals.

I currently use a 1067 with no problem for the gardens but with our sandy loam soil here there isn't a great need for HP but more traction.

@JAinVA What did we tell you about running around topless!?!?! :lol:

59f89945009be_20171029_1605371_jpg_67fba9f2f8051fd25ddff771927910c8.jpg

I should add here in case you haven't figured it out we have a tendency to be horse power hogs. A short frame tractor in say 8hp  might just fit the bill if properly set up Say an 857, 753 or the like tied to an eight incher. Especially if you have smaller garden(s) to tend. Easier to maneuver around in tight spaces.

Edited by WHX20
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Yeah, even Putt Putt my 502 with the 8 speed swapped in and 8 hp Kohler has run my tiller... but that’s not something you’ll be able to just look for.

• Like 2

Lane Ranger

A wheel Horse with a hydro pump for lifting implements!  I use a 1961 Wheel Horse 701!

AB8D0A43-1B39-466E-A8E4-E74F00629505.jpeg

751B9CD0-A8F5-46E7-86F1-5B3D21F8AFAF.jpeg

B12A957E-D369-4771-9B08-AE7E7E91133E.jpeg

71535A41-8F8F-4820-9492-93DB02B0BA24.jpeg

7D983567-806C-4BF7-A854-FD7A42B30B8D.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Charles123

What about the  SK486 with 16 horse magnum  Manual 8 speed

• Excellent 1

Lee1977
22 hours ago, Charles123 said:

I think the SK has 1" axle, but the only down side to that is the 4 spider differential. With wheel weights or loaded tires it will do just as good as the 1 1/8" with 8 spider

differential. It's all about traction. Weight, tires with a good tread, tractor type or 4 wheeler type. Once you loose traction they are all going to spin. There are a lot of other brands of garden tractors that never had a larger then 1" axle. I have a 312-8 with a 1" axle that is my dirt tractor I have 80# weight in each rear wheel.

Edited by Lee1977

Charles123

Charles123

It has the 1 1 /8 a axles in it that is I was told when I bought it?

Daron1965

Thank you all for the information.  I really appreciate all the knowledge. 

• Like 1