ClassicTractorProfessor

Close Call Yesterday

pfrederi

A local tow truck guy was killed about a year ago.  So sad.  Funeral procession had almost 200 tow trucks

• Sad 4

wfrpalm

Most of my surveying work is done on interstates or state highways and this happens to me all the time. 

It seems like people don't have common sense or just don't care anymore. Be careful out there.

• Like 4

Machineguy

A childhood friend and neighbor lost his father due to a inattentive driver. He owned his own recovery business and went on a simple disabled vehicle call and was hit by a swerving truck driver on the shoulder of the road. We were only about 11 years old. 

My Dad lost a couple friends in the Fire Department because of the same stupid stuff that could’ve been 100% avoided. 

Pay attention indeed folks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Sparky

Don't know about other states but here in Ct. its the law to move over.

But I see people disregarding it all the time unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine

@Professor1990

Right there with you brother man. A lot of my truck driving unloading is done with a demountable forklift. Roadside stuff. I see more issues in the medium range speed limit areas like 35 to 45 miles an hour then I do much slower or much faster.

Seems as though people are just not paying as much attention as was previously mentioned.

I'm glad you're okay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JAinVA

Va law says move over if safe to do so.If you can't then you are required to slow down. You guys who drive recovery vehicles have some big brass ones and my respect.Stay safe.

• Like 1

posifour11

My dad was a survey crew chief. I've heard the stories from ignorant drivers to ignorant civil engineers. Sadly, it was mostly the engineers that didn't pay attention. 😞

• Like 1

posifour11

@Professor1990, that wasn't aimed at you. I'd probably trust you for anything I want to build. But I don't even know what kind of engineering you do. 🤣

953 nut

Too many self absorbed people with all sorts of devices and other distractions in front of them. The more safety devices are incorporated into vehicles the less attentive drivers think the need to be.        :soapbox:

• Like 4

Stormin
4 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Too many self absorbed people with all sorts of devices and other distractions in front of them. The more safety devices are incorporated into vehicles the less attentive drivers think the need to be.        :soapbox:

How very true.

• Like 5

Daddy Don

Man I am clad you are ok. Yu know how these drivers are in Oklahoma. Out where you live it is nothing but straight highways and not many hills. Glad you are ok. Tell the wife hello and take care of yourself. When you go to work in the morning with a full body that is the same way you want to go home that night. Take care. :)   

• Thanks 1

briankd
10 hours ago, Professor1990 said:

As some of you may know I quit my oilfield driving job a few months ago, money was great but the time away from home was not. Ended up taking a job at our local tire shop as a shop hand, as well as lead wrecker driver, which is great as towing has been my passion ever since I watched my dad's best friend turn over a rolled cattle truck 2 miles from our house when I was about 10. 

Anyway yesterday morning started like any other day, clock in, pour some coffee and sit down to do paperwork on the two Highway Patrol impounds from the night before, when the phone rings. Simple call, just a Hummer H3 with the transmission out about 20 miles away. So I fire up the old rollback and head out. Get there and start winching it on the truck when out of nowhere comes a state Dept dump truck. When I can feel the wind off a passing vehicle while standing at my controls, they're entirely too close and driving way too fast. I'm not sure what he was doing, but here in Oklahoma it's so flat you can see for miles so the excuse of not not being seen quick enough doesn't really work here.

Guys what I'm trying to say is when you see any of my brothers and sisters in the towing industry recovering a vehicle on the side of the highway, please move over and slow down, not only is it the law, but it keeps us going home safely every night. We are out here to make our living and support our families while doing a job that we love, but our main goal is to get the job done safely and return home to our loved ones at night

opengraph.jpg

it is sad people out there just don't give a dam anymore been towing class 8 trucks (semi's ) for about 20 years now and yes i had my share of close call's was in Charleston W.V. few yrs. ago got so mad 3 lanes traffic tried to get some law out there to control traffic they said may be awhile i said well if you don't show there may be a chain throwed into the next guy's windshield that tries to run me over seems like they see flashing lights and they see how close they can get to you   

• Like 1

AMC RULES

When people see those flashing lights...attracts 'em like a moth to a flame.

Same thing happens when roading construction equipment to the next job site. 

The chit you see out on them highways, never ceases to amaze me.  :dunno:

20180727_134718.jpg.1eefe18838a40003f2d568f1da5e06cc.jpg

Quite the challenge...to not end up like this guy.  :blink:

• Like 3

ClassicTractorProfessor

I think what aggravated me the most about my experience yesterday was the fact that it was a ODOT dump truck that nearly hit me...of all people on the roads you would think our highway workers would understand more than anyone as they are out on the roadside almost daily

@Daddy Donyou are right about our fellow Oklahoma drivers, some of them are just plain crazy. Hope y'all are doing well...Katy and I are no longer married, but she is still here in town and I see her from time to time next time i run into her I'll be sure to tell her hello from you...and likewise tell Steve hi from me

• Like 1

Sarge

I certainly feel for you - been working on the highways for 20yrs now, many times we're literally out in traffic trying to do our job and not get killed. One year ago, we lost a very well known and loved wrecker operator here locally - same as usual with a driver not paying attention. I spent last week trying to work on a local state highway that is famous for wrecks - at the south end of Ottawa there is a sign honoring one of our members killed by a drunk driver at 10:30am on the same road - they don't even read it. 4 times in one day I had people sliding to a stop to avoid nailing me or a car sitting there waiting - 90% of those people are on the phone doing something they know is dangerous and against the law, yet - they still do it. Just for good measure, I was tasked to walk along with 2 others trying to lay down the temporary center line stripes after putting the binder layer on - it was my job to protect the others. Pretty much dressed like a flourescent clown - yet they still try to claim they can't see us, which is a pathetic excuse.

In the last 5yrs, I've been hit several times - mostly just bruised up good, angry, and not one driver stopped to see if I was alive. I've knocked mirrors off the cars right through the door window - that's how close they get to us despite being in a construction zone. Wrecker operators are out there alone with zero protection, as well as the police - all doing a high risk job with little reward or recognition. Until our society makes some fundamental changes it will continue to get worse, glad I'm getting close to retireing.

Top things that boil my blood on a daily basis at work -

Tailgating - when drivers are following each other too closely, there is no way they can see what is coming on the shoulder of the road due to their position in a vehicle. Following a semi truck pulling a van trailer is the worst - the semi cannot make snap maneuvers, so as they move over it takes longer for the trailer to follow and the idiot running less than 20' off the back of that trailer is the one that picks us off the most.

Speeding - seriously, what is the hurry these days? I've watched folks fly past, only to catch up to them later at the interchange, town or stop light a few miles down the road. The difference in time saved is generally almost zero. Leave earilier, use a reasonable estimate of the time it takes to travel - making it up on the highway can get you killed. I'm always early, never late and never forced to speed to get somewhere - it's just not worth causing an accident, getting fined or killed.

Cell phones - worst distraction in society today. Almost every instance I've been tagged by a car, or had someone nearly hit me, cause a wreck, ect was on their phone. It takes everything I've got not to yank it out of their hands and have one of our Operators smash it with a piece of heavy equipment so they get the message. I never use mine while driving - why in the world anyone thinks that's acceptable is beyond me.

Slow down, move over - it's the law in nearly every state in this country. In Illinois, if a State Police officer sees you near miss someone on the shoulder, even a parked or disable vehicle you will get an expensive ticket, they give no warnings for this stuff. Especially with towing operators these days - no sense of humor or leinency whatsoever. In my opinion, if folks can't take driving a weapon down the road seriously they don't deserve a driving license, period. Have some respect for each other out there - we're all in this together whether we like it or not.

One suggestion for wrecker operators - keep a fresh set of reflective gear with you. I know, stuff gets dirty doing your job, it's a big part of it - but that safety clothing is your lifeline, so keep it clean or replaced as needed. I see this a lot with our own personnel as well, vests and such that are so dirty you can't tell they are wearing it - most companies now will force them to get a new vest or hand out new gear versus having someone get hit or killed, it's just cheaper to replace the PPE. I don't screw around, if needed I buy my own Class III vests, pants and hats - getting hit by a car hurts and I can't run anymore anyway due to work injuries, enough of that, lol.

Rant off,

Sarge

Daddy Don
19 hours ago, Professor1990 said:

I think what aggravated me the most about my experience yesterday was the fact that it was a ODOT dump truck that nearly hit me...of all people on the roads you would think our highway workers would understand more than anyone as they are out on the roadside almost daily

yo@Daddy Donu are right about our fellow Oklahoma drivers, some of them are just plain crazy. Hope y'all are doing well...Katy and I are no longer married, but she is still here in town and I see her from time to time next time i run into her I'll be sure to tell her hello from you...and likewise tell Steve hi from me

Thanks Steve is coming in next week  I will tell him.
Sorry to hear about the wife but take care of yourself.

• Like 1