The Tuul Crib

Saved from going to scrap!

pfrederi

Fr $100 you cannot go wrong...even if the engine is toasted you have that much in  parts.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

The Tuul Crib

Yeah well I was there he tried to get it running but there was so much in the way of the flywheel and starter from rodents it wouldn't turn over. I'm gonna take it apart and clean it all out and try and start it . I feel good about that. It definitely was abused.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

The ever dreaded mouse condo is probably in there!

I picked up a 312-8 and the mice had eaten the spark plug wire off of the mag/coil...birty little dastards!

• Haha 4

ohiofarmer

I think that if you had bought both tractors for $350, you would have been looking at your tractor for free....

• Like 2

Pollack Pete

I would have bought it...…...I've paid much more and got a lot less.Love those 312-8's.I have 5 or 6 of them.Have fun with your new toy.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Truth be told, he’d been hard pressed to get 40 out of it at scrap price.  Great buy!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Machineguy
11 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

The ever dreaded mouse condo is probably in there!

I picked up a 312-8 and the mice had eaten the spark plug wire off of the mag/coil...birty little dastards!

I agree! Seems like a cowling is a magnet for them things! This was my most recent eviction! Mice suck 

B8C3E311-2BBE-4BCF-BA20-4B9D078D2992.jpeg

Edited by Machineguy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Pullstart
Just now, Machineguy said:

I agree! Seems like a cowling is a magnet for them things! This was my most current eviction! Mice suck 

Doesnt look that cozy to me... maybe we should just lay a little pillow and blanket in the corner... shaped like a wedge of cheese with a mouth full of peanut butter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

WVHillbilly520H
2 minutes ago, Machineguy said:

I agree! Seems like a cowling is a magnet for them things! This was my most recent eviction! Mice suck 

Yeah I know what you mean...here's one of dad's cubs...

IMAG4545.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Machineguy

@WVHillbilly520H

That was an ambitious mouse there!! Quite the builder!! lol 😂 

Edited by Machineguy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Machineguy

@The Tool Crib

Great save! I hate the thought of these things going to scrap and getting melted down! Much better as a Horse or just parts than the steel being turned into a toaster! 

Edited by Machineguy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

The Tuul Crib

Yeah I couldn't think of this kohler  going to shreds. It really would've hurt my feelings. I felt I had to step up and bring it home site on scene or running or not .  And as far as the rodents go the little buggers had a huge nest !

Edited by The Tool Crib
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

roadapples
4 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Yeah I know what you mean...here's one of dad's cubs...

IMAG4545.jpg

Reminds me of the song about the Boll weevil, Just lookin' for a home...:rolleyes:

The Tuul Crib

OK it's been a couple of days since I brought this ole beast  Home and I've been biting fingernails that it would start. Got home today new parts in the mail put them on. Points condenser and plug .  Turn the key and Pa Pow! Started right up and sounds awesome! I got it to idle and rev and not a bit of white smoke out of the exhaust!  Now to put the tires on it and check out the trans. Hopefully it is OK. I have heard someone say here on red square by using diesel fuel  and running through the gears will help clean it out.  Any ideas ?

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

oliver2-44

When you drain the tranny lift up the front end to drai the oil trapped by the hump in the bottom of the tranny. Fill full with diesel and run in each gear for a while -0 minutes or so each gear. If it was really full of sludge or some water possible flush a second time. 

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

I bought a 1996 three weeks ago for $200 that has the mouse house issue also.  I bought a new coil to get my 12 Horse magnum going again .  Going to put 8 inch wheels and spindles on the front end.4BA6A699-628C-463D-AC00-F032703ACEE4.jpeg.ee45ca1961445a94cf982d7241408722.jpeg

D5B80223-88B0-4F78-9A18-98BEC613C1E9.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

The Tuul Crib

What year did they start putting a cover over the clutch.? I've seen this  A couple times here. 

Lane Ranger

It had to be after 1993  as I have a 314  without it.  

shallowwatersailor
1 hour ago, The Tool Crib said:

What year did they start putting a cover over the clutch.? I've seen this  A couple times here. 

I believe it was 1996. The cover is there as Toro started using an electric PTO. This also required a change of one pulley and crank support due to the additional width on the single-stage snowthrower that became the 79362.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

EricF

The plastic PTO covers definitely started in the mid-90's, as a concession to newer safety standards. (Personally, I always wondered how Wheel Horse managed to go so long without having to put a shroud over the PTO -- every other brand with a horizontal engine seemed to have one by the 1970's unless they used shaft drive!)

Maybe someone can correct me, but I don't remember any electric PTOs on the 1990's standard Wheel Horses, at least not on the horizontal-shaft engines. Seems like Wheel Horse was one of the first to introduce electric PTO clutches way back in the '60s, but they kind of moved away from them as everybody else picked them up. Although the 5xi series used them again since they had the mowing reverse lockout, but those are hidden away since it's a fore-aft shaft drive engine setup.