crazyhorse1056

5025 5053 transmission axle bearings

crazyhorse1056

For the people that have rebuilt the 5025 or 5053 transmission have you ever had a transmission that had the bronze bushings instead of the needle bearing for the axle shafts I have rebuilt many and they all had needle bearing in them but one I torn down this week had the bronze bearing like the three pieces transmission in the RJ and suburban

• Like 1

WHX??

Never... any chance someone has been in there before?

• Like 1

stevasaurus

@crazyhorse1056  I feel very confident in stating that is not factory...and you have the only one that somebody did.  Would like some pictures and the casting date on the top of that transmission...and what horse you found that in.   Please  :occasion-xmas:

I am sure you can make that work, but it is not factory.   Say it ain't so.  The 2 piece transmission basically got rid of all the bronze bearings...except in the cluster gear shaft.  :)

• Like 1

crazyhorse1056

I would have to say that when I was taking it apart it didn’t look like it was ever mess with but I cannot say for sure thought wheelhorse did something different like maybe thay  ran out of needle bearing and just had bronze bushing so to keep building they use the bronze bushings 

crazyhorse1056

The casting date on the cases is 1965 and it was from a 1045 tractor 

crazyhorse1056

F3597E83-911A-413A-B672-AB2DA4CEEC8B.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

wheelhorseman

WOW I’ve never seen that before!!

squonk

Me thinks the bearing went bad and some crafty person fitted that bushing to support the axle. 

Wild Bill in VA

OK let me chime in here YES some of the Lawn Ranger Unidrive transmissions used a bushing at the axle ends and if I remember correctly it was early 1965 was the last they used the bushings. The ealry 1965 Lawn Ranger also used a steel flanged axle hub instead of the cast iron hub.

Wild Bill in Richmond, VA

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

WHX??

Interesting Bill in the fact that a LR was meant to be a lower end tractor hence bushings instead of bearings? Perhaps one of those transmissions errantly found it's way on a 1045 on the production line? By chance did the tractor have steel hubs Crazy?

Edited by WHX20
  • Like 2

Wild Bill in VA

Let's keep in mind ...... once again Wheel Horse used up lots of old parts. The bronze bushing (# 1503) was a industrial standard part and Wheel Horse purchased lots of 'em, now since the Lawn Ranger was not designed for ground engaging attachments and did not need the reliability of the Torrington needle bearings here was a way to use the supply of bushings up.

Now the steel flanged hubs I mentioned were on this transmission.

I have not had a Unidrive from a 1045 opened BUT since this model did use old and new styled parts (old round hood fenders with the new square hood) I would bet they might have used the #1503 bronze bushing too.

Wild Bill in Richmond, VA

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

wheelhorseman
4 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Ok this kinda makes sense now Wheel horse offered a update kit for the 5048 transmission kit # 7168. Below is a picture of the #7168 kit that I took at the big show this year that my friend Alan had for sale.  Also here is a picture of the wheel horse transmission manual notice at the bottom of the page where I circled it, it references the kit to update the 5048 transmission to the 5053 transmission  you will notice it gives you new axles and the cast-iron hubs but begs the question where are the needle bearings?   I am dying to know were the original axles soft? Did Wheelhorse receive a batch of unhardened axles and wanted to use them up and not waste any parts for the same reason we have  754s, 1045s and 1046s today so they used a bronze bushing instead of a needle bearing???

7E7C1934-FE6E-42DC-ABBE-620986D83F34.jpeg

912791CC-C05C-40F0-957B-D176CBDA3A1B.jpeg

D40706DE-72D7-450D-8628-2112078333DA.jpeg

Edited by wheelhorseman
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

crazyhorse1056

I have one more 1045 that I will be rebuilding the transmission on so would be interesting to see if it also has the bronze bushings in it thanks to the people that replied to my post I will post what I find in the other transmission 

• Like 1