M i k e

Oil from breather kohler

M i k e

Just a wild guess: when you see oil coming from the breather plate on k-series, it's time to replace rings at the very least? 😊

953 nut

First take a look at the breather element to be sure it isn't torn or out of position.

953 nut

You may want to do a leak-down test.

• Like 1

pfrederi

It isn't a real good thing  but it will run for a long time leakingg a little oil through the breather.  Most all of my older tractors have oil on the front of the block...bu they still get their work done.  You might want to do a leakdown test  also make sure the breather is oriented correctly  top up.

• Like 1

artfull dodger

Agreed, seen and ran many Kohlers that would have oil running down the block from the breather vent, yet still quite healthy on leak down and compression tests.  One of the GT pulling companies offer a different style breather plate that has a tube you can plumb down below the frame level to keep the engine cleaner.  Seen that on a few restored tractor that still get worked to help keep the block cleaner looking.  I have also seen the breather plumbed into the air filter housing, as is done on all Magnum and newer Kohler engines, then the oil/fumes get burned off.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Hoffertot
      By Hoffertot
      Hello fellow Wheel Horse fans,

I have owned a 312-8 for a few years now, and it has been very good to me. The unit was obviously purchased used, and at the time of purchase I didn't notice that the 42" deck that came with it was much older than the mower. The deck I have has always been pretty junkie, but now started to have some actual issues. The center double "D" pulley has rounded out, and a spindle has broken. I have been looking into getting repair parts, or just buying a different deck all together since i can't find very reasonably priced ones. So here is where the question comes in.

I have found a reasonably priced unit in the area for sale that is a 516-H model. So a little larger engine, year or 2 newer, a 48" working deck, and hydrostatic would be a nice upgrade for me, but it sounds like this model was considered undesirable. Is this just because of the technology that was starting to exist at the time of it's release, or was it considered to not be that great of a machine? My 312 has about 1800 hours, and the mower itself runs great. The 516 apparently does not have working gauges at the moment, and burns some oil.

Any opinions on what you guys would do in this situation? Any opinions between the 12HP Koehler  and the 16HP Onan engines?

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.