Arthur England

520H front axle

Arthur England

I have a 520H which I believe to be a 1994 model Model No73520, Serial No 4900129) and has a 1994 P220G engine. What I was wondering is when and why did the 520 get a forward swept front axle. Mine has a straight front axle which I assume is original.

Cheers

Arthur

DSC_1272.JPG

lynnmor

That is NOT a 1994 front end.  From 1991 up, all had swept axles and those large tie rod ends.

• Like 1

MalMac

I believe they started putting the swept front axel on some of the 520HC's back in 89 I think. It did not have steering reduction. It was to accomodate the 60in deck. In 90 they just had the 520H and 520-8. Both had swept front axel's but still no steering reduction. They put the reduction on in 91 to help with turning the tractor because it was a bear to turn with the 60in deck and the 2 stage snow blower. I am not 100% on the HC's date. Maybe someone else will chime in here. Like said in the prior post, ether thats not the right front end or someone has switched the fender pan with the model number sticker on it. 

• Excellent 2

gwest_ca

At least the 1994 exported models did not get the swept-forward axle. They probably did not export any 60 in decks either.

Garry

lynnmor
19 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

At least the 1994 exported models did not get the swept-forward axle. They probably did not export any 60 in decks either.

Garry

I think that is the case, I should have considered the export thing before posting. 

Arthur England

Sounds like the export situation is the answer then as the engine number goes with 1994 and has a toro badge on the fan shroud and the tractor has a toro badge on the rear of the hood.

Arthur

• Like 1

GMan

Gents,

I had a '89 520H that had the straight axle stock from factory. It had a 48" deck and did not have the wide wheels. I had an '88 520HC that did have the swept front axle, the wide wheels and a 60" deck but no gear reduction steering. I had a '95 520H that had the swept front axle, wide wheels and did have the gear reduction steering. It did not have a deck with it when I bought it so I don't know what size it was originally equipped with.

Gary

MalMac

I did not even consider the export factor. That would explain the a lot.