M i k e

1054A Wheel Alignment Problem

M i k e

Boys, having problems with the front wheel alignment on my 1054a.  Seems as tho the tie rod is about 1/2" or so too short causing the front tires to pigeon toe.  Tore everything apart can find nothing wrong or bent.  According to WH parts diagrams, the 953 and 1054 tie rods are the same part number.  Perhaps one of you good fellas could give me the measurements of your tie rods so I can verify mines the correct length?  Maybe something else Im missing here? 

Thanks,

Mike

roadapples

It will steer easier with some toe in...

RandyLittrell

How about some pics? That may help us out here.

Randy

M i k e

1 hour ago, roadapples said:

It will steer easier with some toe in...

Its toe out, not in.

gwest_ca

If the flat bars on the spindle that the tie rods bolt to are twisted at all it changes the toe in big time.

One day I was not paying attention to what was happening in front of me and got one tire up against a stump. The flat bar twisted easier than I expected. A large adjustable wrench closed up on the flat bar was all it took to correct it.

Garry

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

RandyLittrell
7 hours ago, M i k e said:

Its toe out, not in.

That all depends on fast you are going into the corners!! :laughing-rofl:

Randy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

pfrederi

Make up some adjustable ones then you can hace any degree of toe in ...(or out) that you want and make up for any bent parts

IMG_0269.JPG.e4c4f5ee74d21211c99e1416314e549b.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

19richie66

The 1054 has one tie bar that runs across from the spindles. The tie bar “mounts” are the same as the gt14 and are cast iron. If the wheels are toed out, then the tie bar is too short. I’m assuming you have the rod ends screwed out as far as they will go? Someone make a new crossbar for it? Snap a picture please. I’ll measure mine when I get back home.

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

That all depends on fast you are going into the corners!! :laughing-rofl:

Randy

You must be a circle track guy...  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

pacer

I recently bought a 414-8 and the toe-out was horrible - causing unbelievably hard steering. I had previously made the rods up as Paul suggests and ordered some ends off the bay, so while waiting I was digging thru some old worn rods and quickly noticed a half inch difference in them! I had taken them off the 414 so I checked them against the worn rods and found the 414 ones were the shorter version. Loosely mounting the worn longer versions appeared to correct the toe-out about right! So apparently some one had just got some new? rods of the shorter versions thinking they were all the same length.

Since they were all worn badly, I went ahead and made up the adjustable ones - -- what a difference in steering!! 

• Like 1

Pullstart

This all reminds me that when I put Putt Putt together, the donor was a ‘64 chassis compared to my original ‘62.  It had two tie rods on it for one side, so I had to cut and turn one.  I ended up with slight toe out that I need to correct by lengthening the cut and re-welded one.  Thanks for the reminder!

roadapples
11 hours ago, M i k e said:

Its toe out, not in.

Pigeon toe confused me....

• Like 1

953 nut
17 hours ago, M i k e said:

give me the measurements of your tie rods so I can verify mines the correct length?

Measured a couple of mine, both were 17 1/2" center to center.

• Like 2

M i k e
15 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

If the flat bars on the spindle that the tie rods bolt to are twisted at all it changes the toe in big time.

One day I was not paying attention to what was happening in front of me and got one tire up against a stump. The flat bar twisted easier than I expected. A large adjustable wrench closed up on the flat bar was all it took to correct it.

Garry

Ok but the 1054 only has 1 tie rod that connects the left spindle to the right one.  There are no adjustment nuts to it at all.  As I said in my OP, nothing appears to be bent at all.

Mike

953 nut
5 minutes ago, M i k e said:

Ok but the 1054 only has 1 tie rod that connects the left spindle to the right one.  There are no adjustment nuts to it at all.  As I said in my OP, nothing appears to be bent at all.

Mike

Even if there is a bent part on your steering arms DO NOT BEND THEM BACK! They are cast iron and will not respond well. You may have to determine what length you need and ask Lowell if he will make one to your specification.

https://www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/steering.html#!/Toro-Wheel-Horse-953-1054-Tie-Rod-2711/p/86105616/category=23548038

M i k e
9 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

The 1054 has one tie bar that runs across from the spindles. The tie bar “mounts” are the same as the gt14 and are cast iron. If the wheels are toed out, then the tie bar is too short. I’m assuming you have the rod ends screwed out as far as they will go? Someone make a new crossbar for it? Snap a picture please. I’ll measure mine when I get back home.

My tie rod has absolutely no adjustment nuts for it.  Its basically a round stock with 2 ends welded on that bolt directly to the spindle arms.  If WH made them with adjustments then that means i've been swindled by a schmuck on ebay who advertised it as for the 1054.  He even gave the correct part number, 2711 if memory serves.  This explains much.  The real trick thing is that its pretty much verbatim of the one that was on the tractor when i bought it, however that one was obviously repaired and welded in the middle making me think that was the problem.  Thats why I never questioned anything when I saw it.  Oh well, live and learn.

Thanks,

Mike

19richie66

Okay. Here is the gt14 tie bar I took off my tractor. Should be the same or very close. Don’t quote me. From end to end, this one is 18-1/4”. From center of stud post to center of stud post is 17-1/2”. If I didn’t need this one for my wifes 1054 frankenhorse I would send it to you. Hope you get it figured out.

0E00EE3A-A0C2-4386-847F-B6AC8CE96A22.jpeg

• Excellent 1

953 nut
5 minutes ago, M i k e said:

My tie rod has absolutely no adjustment nuts

I have six 953s and none of mine are adjustable either. The ones Lowell makes are threaded and ends are screwed tightly into place. It  is likely that one of your spindles is bent and that has caused the alignment issue. I don't think I would attempt to determine which one it is and try straightening it for fear of damaging it further. Another possibility would be to drive out the roll pin that attaches the steering arm to the spindle and after aligning it drill a new hole, but I doubt that you will be able to drill all the way through and come out the other side at the right point.

Having Lowell make one to fit your needs seems to offer the greatest likelihood of success.

19richie66

The 1054 crate project I have had a non adjustable tie bar but I figured it was homemade the way it looked. Anyone have a picture?

953 nut
1 minute ago, 19richie66 said:

The 1054 crate project I have had a non adjustable tie bar but I figured it was homemade the way it looked. Anyone have a picture?

I can get you a picture tomorrow.

M i k e
9 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I have six 953s and none of mine are adjustable either. The ones Lowell makes are threaded and ends are screwed tightly into place. It  is likely that one of your spindles is bent and that has caused the alignment issue. I don't think I would attempt to determine which one it is and try straightening it for fear of damaging it further. Another possibility would be to drive out the roll pin that attaches the steering arm to the spindle and after aligning it drill a new hole, but I doubt that you will be able to drill all the way through and come out the other side at the right point.

Having Lowell make one to fit your needs seems to offer the greatest likelihood of success.

Just ordered one from his website a few mins ago.  

Thanks,

Mike

• Excellent 2

19richie66

There you go!

M i k e

This is the one I have.  If it's not a legit wh part, someone did a good job as it looks the poop.

1054tierod.jpg

• Sad 2

19richie66

Nope, definitely not factory. Can’t go wrong for the price of Lowel’s tie bar. 

Edited by 19richie66
  • Like 2

Shynon

Here's mine of my 1054, not po welded washers around the ball joints. 18 1/4" end to end.

20180723_194427.jpg

20180723_194431.jpg

20180723_194529.jpg

• Like 2