drewd

Deck conversion

drewd

I picked up a deck 05-36XR01-11097 (9290). It is from a vertical shaft mower.  It's in great shape and I want to convert it to hang on my Commando 800.  I need help from those of you who have converted these! 

• I assume I must remove the drive pully set up on this and put a double pully on the front blade.  Is this correct? 
  • If I have to remove the drive pully and go with the double pully on front I will need to replace the belt tensioner set up.  I have an old one but not sure if I need to drill holes to fit it. Any info??
  • I have a hanger from an old deck that I can use and the holes match up.  I will just need to raise the bar holding the rear height adjustment wheels a bit  to fit the lift brackets under the bar.

Any advice from those that have done this is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!  Drew

daveoman1966

Here is how to change a 42" deck, which is the same set-up as a 36".  This model is 05-42XR01. 

Another pic shows how to locate the floating spring tension bar and the belt routing for a 36" deck...(pic a little fuzzy) 

36 BELT.jpg

05-42XR01 (2)a.jpg

05-42XR01 (1)a.jpg

Edited by daveoman1966
Note to change to DOUBLE PULLEY at center spindle
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

drewd

Thanks for the pics, Greatly appreciated!  

daveoman1966

You'll also have to find the Double Pulley for the center spindle.  Some of these are 3.4" bore for shaft and others are 5/8" dia.  

Goldnboy

I following this and find it very useful I would like to see how the lift trunion on the gauge wheels align up with the T brackets.

drewd

Daveoman1966, do you know if it is possible to pick up a double pully from an industrial supply house that would work or do I need a Wheelhorse pully?

daveoman1966

I doubt that other double pulley would work as these are proprietary and of unusual geometry.  There are two types of double pulleys, depending on the style of the spindle shaft.  One pulley has 3/4" bore and employs a woodruff key slot.  The other is the same OD, but the shaft bore is at 5/8" and the pulley does NOT have the woodruff slot.  They are not interchangeable.  Double pulley WITH the woodruff key is # 107439 and the other is # 109991.  pics here too  

107439 (2).JPG

109991 (2).JPG

Edited by daveoman1966

drewd

Thanks, that helps a lot.  My mower has the woodruff keys so I will look online for 107439 double pulley.  If I run into trouble finding one I do have two double pullies that are double D and might take it to a machine shop and see if they can machine it for a reasonable price (if there is enough meat there to work with).  They are from 36" WH mowers so the overall size of the pully should be the same. 

Thanks again, really appreciate the info!

daveoman1966

Double pulleys are pricey and here is the best place I've found...  just enter the pulley number as the PART #...   

This site has lots and lots of schematics too....

http://www.psep1.biz/arinet.asp?aribrand=TO#

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

The pulleys with Woodruff keys used a self-locking nut.

If the pulley will spin freely on the shaft (no burrs) you can eliminate the key and use a regular split spring lock washer and regular nut. The rotation of the shaft keeps the nut tight.

The latest design was like this.

So a pulley without a keyway should work.

Garry

• Like 1

daveoman1966

Garry...  thanks.  Good to know.  I hadn't thot about that....using just a hex nut with lockwasher without a woodruff key.  

drewd

Dave, thanks for the info on that site.  They have lots this mower.  Question, when the belt tension pully is re routed does the belt size change or is it the same belt?  

Garry, thanks for the memo on using lockwasher without woodruff key. I have two double pullies from double D mowers and I think I will take the newer one (other is  a nice cast in excellent shape) to a machine shop to make the double D round.

Thanks guys!

jeremi3210

I’ve got the same rear discharge deck but I don’t have the hanger bracket off a rd deck, my question is can a side discharge hanger be used or is it different?

daveoman1966
On 7/23/2018 at 7:06 AM, drewd said:

Thanks for the pics, Greatly appreciated!  

I added a note to pictures change out the center spindle to a DOUBLE PULLEY.  

daveoman1966

The lift hardware bracket may be the same, but I think the rear axle for the idler wheels is different...as are the rear 'stancions' for the axle bracket to set the axle higher for discharge clearance   I could be wrong on this...not certain.    

drewd

I have the lift bracket from a SD deck that I hope to use on this RD deck.  The rear L brackets that bolts to the deck are beefier with sides as the L brackets on the RD that I have seen pictures of are flat.  I think the SD decks need more support due to the steal discharge shoot adding weight and needing clearance.  The rear axle on the RD that I am converting is in great shape so I was going to cut the sides off of the L brackets to fit under the axle.  

• Like 1

jeremi3210
22 hours ago, drewd said:

I have the lift bracket from a SD deck that I hope to use on this RD deck.  The rear L brackets that bolts to the deck are beefier with sides as the L brackets on the RD that I have seen pictures of are flat.  I think the SD decks need more support due to the steal discharge shoot adding weight and needing clearance.  The rear axle on the RD that I am converting is in great shape so I was going to cut the sides off of the L brackets to fit under the axle.  

Let me know if this works! Iam thinking about trying it on the one that I have. 

drewd

Will do!  Progress on the deck has been pretty good.  Had an issue with one of the spindle shafts.  When I finally worked it out of the casing I saw the issue. I took a picture with a good woodruff key next to the problem shaft and the broken/worn key.  So I need to order a new spindle shaft, bearings and a double center pully.  The deck itself is in great shape. Very little surface rust and just a little flaking on the bottom.  Once I get this fixed up should last a long time! 

WP_20180725_18_22_25_Pro.jpg

WP_20180725_18_26_03_Pro.jpg

WP_20180726_15_23_29_Pro.jpg

• Thanks 1

drewd

Worked on deck conversion and decided to keep the rear axle from the deck 05-36XR01 (for vertical shaft engine) as it is in excellent shape.  Trimmed the bracket for the front roller down. Cut the rear portion flat on the  L bracket from the hanger from a side discharge mower I scavenged so I could use the rear axel from the better deck (05-36R01). However, this deck only had one strap to raise the axle a bit off the deck but the manual shows 3 (1 on the side with the height control and 2 on the other side).  So I made two more and put the hanger and axle on deck to make sure everything is fitting before finish work starts! 

Here's a few pics of the progress.

Thanks for all the tips!  Drew

WP_20180804_17_56_42_Pro.jpg

WP_20180805_19_13_20_Pro.jpg

• Excellent 1