StanC160

C160 hydro

StanC160

Own a c160 hydro works good wondering if the hydro would be overworked pushing 5 to 7 inches of snow should I get one with a 8 speed Thanks

• Like 1

oldredrider

Wheel Horse hasn't made a C-160 hydro in over 40 years. That should be an indication of how strong and reliable they are.

Mine is a 1977 and does everything I throw at it...without complaining!

• Excellent 3

pfrederi

my Charger 12 (hydro) moves big piles of snow no sweat!!!

Edited by pfrederi
  • Excellent 1

Machineguy

I think that a Hydro C-160 or 161 will be my next WH unless I stumble onto another model that I can’t walk away from. Like say a 520H? They’re all so cool it’s hard to decide!!!! 

Edited by Machineguy
  • Like 1

953 nut

My fifty year old GT-14 has the same basic Sundstrand transmission as your C-160 and it has had a front end loader on it all it's life.    :handgestures-thumbupright:           If it will handle a loader there is no doubt it will push a little snow!

Edited by 953 nut
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

RJR49

Mine is a 1975! No problem with snow in Connecticut although I did take the wings off the blower

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

My 74 C160 will push snow up to my knees. Tilt the blade and make a path through any snow ive had. fold the snow into that path and it will push dry snow  piles 2 foot high. I've only spun the tires on very few occasions. Wet snow I use a different technique, just take smaller cut of snow. The C160 is a very capable 

Snow machine. I love the hydro it's much easier with a plow then the 8 speed.

• Like 3

daveoman1966

I've had my C-160 for about 3 eons now...or longer.  We get lake effect snow here near Lake Erie...Last winter was record depth and I had no problem pushing thru 18-20" over-night accumulation.  Chains and two 75lb wheel weights and my 210 fat ass, no doubt, helps.  I find that the 48" dozer blade is better than a 42" on mine.  Also have a solid link lift bar, which allows for downward pressure to cut in to packed snow/ice.  I also like the Sundstrand Auto as you can ...using the motion control lever....speed up and smash into hard pack... getting a lot of momentum, unlike the constant speed of the manual shift models.  

1220- 010.jpg

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

posifour11

You'll run out of traction way before you reach the limit of that transmission. 

953 nut
16 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

speed up and smash into hard pack.

I wouldn't do that too often. You could end up cracking the frame of your :wh: or knock your teeth out.

daveoman1966
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

I wouldn't do that too often. You could end up cracking the frame of your :wh: or knock your teeth out.

I fixed that frame plate crack a few years ago.  Hell...I haven't had teeth for about 10 years.....lol

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Haha 3