Machineguy

69 Workhorse K321 engine swap

Machineguy

Hello everyone!

I finally picked up a Workhorse 700 and I’m doing a restoration with the exception of a Kohler K321 in place of the scavenged Tecumseh. Anyone done a similar swap and had trans issues or breakage problems? This isn’t going to be a puller, just gonna keep a 42” snow blade on it  for small snows and use it for light duty towing and putting around. I have the engine sitting around from another repower project and I have access to a large variety of machine tools and fabricating equipment. Any thoughts?

Edited by Machineguy

953 nut

:WRS:         There should be no problem as far as the transmission goes, they were the same regardless of Horsepower. As you will probably be going from a magneto ignition to the battery powered the wiring will need to be changed. This thread will show you what is the same and what needs to be changed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Machineguy

Thanks man! 

You're correct about changing up for the battery powered ignition vs the magneto. I appreciate the info on the abilities of the trans too. I've got a good K301 if the rears in these were a little weak. But my 14hp has fewer hours on it and I thought since there's no hi/low range I might want that extra torque. My Grandad had an old Wheelhorse that slipped away from me before I was enough to do anything about it.  I just got started collecting little tractors and I'm up to 7 and I'm pumped about this one!   

Thank you you for your service in our Military and for taking time to share a little knowledge with me! 

Edited by Machineguy
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Mike'sHorseBarn

If you put on a K321, I'm not sure the hood will fit back on. You might want to check that out. A k321 on a short frame should look pretty awesome though!

Mike

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Machineguy

There’s a pic of the 700 and a Sears that I literally pulled from a scrap pile. I hate seeing solid, serviceable American Steel go to scrap! I consider these equipment, not appliances to be tossed out in 5 years like modern mowers 

00282B87-38BA-4BD5-998B-0D08A03CEA40.jpeg

2A84890F-17E0-490D-84D5-6901D6FFB86B.jpeg

4BDBF51A-DA2F-4F7D-9E93-10A05C8601F7.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Machineguy
3 hours ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

If you put on a K321, I'm not sure the hood will fit back on. You might want to check that out. A k321 on a short frame should look pretty awesome though!

Mike

I need to go measure that for sure. I think the Kohler is somewhere around 17” tall? 

Mike'sHorseBarn

It's a shame someone would scrap things like that. Nothing wrong with that 700. Looks a like a good one to get going again. 

I also can't believe that someone would scrap a sickle bar mower of any brand away!

The think the k321 will be too tall and too wide for the hood. You might have to find an 7 or 8hp kohler if you want the hood back on without being cut up.

• Thanks 1

Machineguy
1 minute ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

It's a shame someone would scrap things like that. Nothing wrong with that 700. Looks a like a good one to get going again. 

I also can't believe that someone would scrap a sickle bar mower of any brand away!

The think the k321 will be too tall and too wide for the hood. You might have to find an 7 or 8hp kohler if you want the hood back on without being cut up.

Yeah, nothing set in stone yet. I’ll mock it up and see what’ll work without any hacking. About the only thing I’ve decided I’d modify sheet metal wise is the drive belt cover. 

I’m glad I saved the Sears too. The sickle bar was frozen, tie rods broken thanks to being dropped by a loader. The loader picked it up by the steering wheel. People are so conditioned to think that hard work and effort is for fools. So most just scrap stuff and go finance new stuff. 

• Sad 1

Machineguy

I know it’s not a WH but after a couple weeks of wrenching and rewiring for a modern ignition switch and solenoid. You’ll be happy to know I got the sickle bar freed up and the HH120 running again. 

That’s the short story skipping all the headaches! Lol

CD4F0B6B-DD28-4235-9F6D-DA5BD3317AD0.jpeg

Edited by Machineguy
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Mike'sHorseBarn

And to think someone was just willing to melt it down. Great work!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

That steering wheel on that suburban looks like someone hooked a change to it! Still a nice find!

• Haha 1

Machineguy
4 minutes ago, The Tool Crib said:

That steering wheel on that suburban looks like someone hooked a change to it! Still a nice find!

It was actually picked up with a tooth on a loader bucket! Steering wheels don’t fare well holding up the weight of tractor and sickle bar!! lol 

The Tuul Crib

Yep there ya go! Shows you how well built 

things were back then! 

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

You might be able to use that kohler  if you get the gas tank to go where it supposed to go. 

IMG_4482.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

R. L. Addison

K321as would probably fit. If I remember right, about 2" lower than K3212s.

• Thanks 1

Machineguy

The engines I do machine work on at my day job aren’t as easy to move around. That’s 8,000lbs of CAT 3520

3748FC51-7E56-4B0F-8808-3B9E3CD1E712.jpeg

DF778975-7A62-41EC-BC61-B9D9216437F4.jpeg

AF53B9B5-B0DD-46F1-9C18-EB7B15F14B41.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

The Tuul Crib

Think I can fit that one on my 665!! Lol

very impressive!👍

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Machineguy
21 hours ago, The Tool Crib said:

Think I can fit that one on my 665!! Lol

very impressive!👍

Thanks man. I started machining stuff in high school for a 455 swap in my G-body Buick and I’ve made a career out of it. 

• Like 1

Machineguy

Got the engine pulled last night and sheet metal. Gave it a good pressure washing too. 

Tonight it’s dry fitting the Kohler and figuring what I’ve gotta move around to make it all look like it belongs there. This should be a fun little thing with either a small snowblower or blade. 1CFFDF6E-D825-4761-B243-44101EC95830.jpeg.09cfacb43ad679c134da4b144e07b7c4.jpeg

92657CEE-4F2C-4965-9892-6306A887A104.jpeg

29E16790-A7DD-4BB5-A1ED-4C4BA3F80BCD.jpeg

F9D00D62-A085-43FC-AAB3-2F696BFD3B32.jpeg

A0BE3B22-8545-4A3D-8650-2E7CA8AF4970.jpeg

40265CB5-576B-41BD-B0BF-9298FFBA02E6.jpeg

Edited by Machineguy
  • Like 3

elcamino/wheelhorse

Looking good. You may want to move that Green Thing , horses have been know to kick them .:ROTF:

• Haha 3

Machineguy
1 hour ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Looking good. You may want to move that Green Thing , horses have been know to kick them .:ROTF:

That’s supposed to be the wife’s mower. That’s why it’s sitting in the corner with the battery out of it and in one of my toys! 

I put the bagger on it and pick up leaves in the fall. Works good for that!

Edited by Machineguy
  • Haha 2

dells68

I hate to admit it, but I'm digging that Sears!  Never cared for them, but with sickle bar attached it's mean looking😎!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Machineguy

Thanks! It was an unplanned purchase and project that I’m glad I got. Absolutely worth keeping out of the scrap yard for sure! 

• Like 2

Machineguy

@dells68

Suburbans are rebranded Ropers. No family connection to the brand for me but the guy truly made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. 

At that moment I understood how my wife feels at a two pairs for the price of one shoe sale!!! :ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5