farmer

Loading Shovel

Pullstart
9 minutes ago, farmer said:

How do all, l made a short video awhile back but for some reason (me I suspect) it wouldn’t load. I will try again soon or maybe use YouTube whichever works. There is one major disadvantage to my design and one little ‘niggle’ that I’m going to have to live with. 

The niggle is the hyro over runs, I’m having to squeeze down on the backwards pedal to slow down going  forwards and vice versa when in reverse, I’ve got the hang of it but it’s not perfect by any means. 

The major disadvantage is unless your lifting or crowding  as you load the bucket, you break traction and spin the wheel. This isn’t a problem most of the time as I’m loading dung off a concrete floor and can keep the driving wheels loaded down. 

But say you wanted to grade a surface you would struggle to stop the wheels from spinning, in that type of situation a tractor loader would be much better tool. 

But for my needs it fits the bill, one other thing, I’m really surprised how heavy the steering is with or without a loaded bucket, the seating position and oil tank all add up I suppose. :handgestures-thumbupright:

Are your tires loaded, or is that an option on the farm?  Or possibly wheel weights?  I know that wouldn’t fix the speed issue, but it would aid the traction issue :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

farmer

Hi pullstart, l don’t think adding weight would make a lot of difference because as soon as you pressure the bucket down, the weight comes off however much you add. On a normal tractor pressuring the loader down makes the driving wheels dig in more. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Hi farmer, 

top work.

Looks awsome but also a bit different, but not bad.

Seems perfect fitted for the job you build it for.

For how much load you build the Shovel - how much you expect in weight? 

And what was your max liftheight?

congrats!

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Thanks 1

DennisThornton

We both thought the steering would be light handed.  I'm surprised.  All lubed up well?  Maybe some thrust bearings on the front spindles would help. 

Edited by DennisThornton
axles to spindles
  • Like 2

farmer

@Tractorhead I must admit I haven’t measured the machines vital statistics but guessing I’d say lift height to the buckets cutting edge.. maybe 6’ 6”. 

When it comes to weight.. ‘HEAVY’ :unsure: I could just lift the subframe/towers, the loader boom pluse the rams would be about the same and then there’s the bucket, again I could just about pick that up. 

I feel like saying I’ve doubled the original tractor weight, if not, it’s close. :angry-steamingears:

(probably the reason the hyro overruns)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Hi farmer, 

about the height, sounds pretty , like same as my selfmade FEL in final Setup.

about weight, i be able (in safe state) to pull 209 pounds without any additional weights.

the only issue, i didn't take care specified, was the side stability.

That's a bit Weak, if the Weight of 209 pounds is completley lifted.

maybe i will enhance this later by 2 foldable stabilizer on front axle against vary from penldeaxle.

the Finish you made is pretty nice, i love it.

i didn't finish mine, because i will ad some improvements, but they shall be tested before i mount them on.

i'll be excited, how my Aluminum FEL will Last. Hope snow will come soon.... - hehe

Diggin bit  in dirt and i'm impressed, that it worked so far better than expected.

greets 

stefan

farmer

@Tractorhead have you posted pictures of your loader? It sounds interesting especially as it’s aluminium!

I think i misunderstood your question, did you mean how much will mine lift? If so I haven’t actually tested it with weights.

D8A195FE-79BF-4BC4-9A17-6D7668F753D4.jpeg.260bb401adb051f9885a4e7033924cad.jpeg

I have picked up this  lawn roller full of water without sitting in the seat, so I’ll guess with a driver 200/250kg? :)

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Here are few pics,

actually i got few troubles, the onan engine E125V  give a loud "popp"sound while running and stops immediately working 

and will not run further.

Several time, i fire it up, there is running mass of gasoline and a bit oil out of the engine, but i can actually not said, what happen.

The "popp" sound doesn't sounding for a easy to solve issue.

the flywheel is allready proven and look so far fine with all needed parts.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

DennisThornton

Might need some more closeups.  Maybe you could start another thread. 

AlexR

That is a really cool build Farmer! Its really well built by the looks of it! You could solve the drive wheel slippage one way though.... 4 wheel drive haha!

• Thanks 1