Phil Burley

3 speeders

Phil Burley

my engine is 3 .3/4  inch bore  by 2. 7./8 stroke , I make that about 24 cu inch . What HP is that please ? When we can get the engine going we can decide if its worth spending cash on   .At present it needs a valve grind and I havnt got a spring compressor that will fit .

This forum is great , I am glad I found it  ! Regards Phil   in UK

Racinbob

When you shift it you should feel the detent balls latch into the detents. Do you? If so shift it into 3rd then see how much in/out play there is on the input shaft. There should be none. But in any case that sounds like a VERY worn gear. Typically they will hold a bit until some load is applied.

24 cu in is a 10hp but the bore and stroke is 3.251" x 2.875". :)

• Like 3

meadowfield

A bit confused by your measurements unless the engine is a bitsa - but 24 cu-inch is a 10hp k241

for reference:

7hp piston 2-7/8" across - 2.5" stroke

8hp piston 3" across - 2-3/4" stroke

10hp piston 3-1/4" across - 2-7/8'" stroke

12hp piston 3-3/8" across - 3-1/4" stroke

<edit damn - I missed the post above>   :text-yeahthat:

Edited by meadowfield
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

I'm thinking that you have something not right in the trans.  That fork gear would have to be so worn on the inside to pop out of 3rd on the bench.  Like Bob said, you should feel the detente balls fall into the notch when you shift.  I'm thinking you need to open it back up and check the detente balls and spring/stop mechanism......and it would not hurt to take a peek at the fork gear for 2nd/3rd.  They are available.  Give us a picture of the inside of the gear.  :occasion-xmas:

Mark...do you know what year your horse is???  I'm thinking @gwest_ca would like to update his list. for the Belgium 1-0394.

Phil...watch this video...shows the detente stuff.  :)

Phil Burley

Sorry , yes its a 3 1/4 " bore , my fingers don't always do what I tell them . We will have another look inside  Have to work out how to  get a photo on here

Regards Phil

• Haha 1

stevasaurus

When you open up the box to post, you will see in RED at the bottom  "choose files".  Put your pictures on your computer, click on "choose files"...go to where your pictures are...highlight the picture you want and click on OK or Open.  It will appear here below the window...click on the + sign and the picture will insert into the window.  :)

Don't keep trying to shift it.  If you had one of the detente balls fall out when assembling, you now have the end of the spring inserting into the detente of the shift rail.  You could ruin or break the spring.

• Excellent 1

Phil Burley

5b51ce03302eb_rustybox.JPG.041b7930964a1991053e5540ddf62ff4.JPGbefore we cleaned it up .

Phil Burley

can any please tell me what the length of the spring between the selectors should be

regards Phil UK

Racinbob

If someone doesn't beat me to it I should have one down the hill. I'll check it out later this morning. :)

Phil Burley

thanks , mine is distorted ,

Racinbob

Sorry, I didn't find one down there. I know I have at least a couple but I'm not completely organized from the move yet. I'll be opening up a 5025 not too long from now (hopefully) and if I can't find the others I'll check that one. They are all the same. :)

Lane Ranger

I can not tell you the length of the spring but this is still available from Toro .  Should be 1/4  round as a 1/4 ball bearing is what is used for the detent balls on each end.

Part #  106030  listed for sale at $1.58

full.png

stevasaurus

That 2nd/3rd fork gear is junk...just sayin'.  :think:  If you decide to get another one, know that there are two different spline shafts and sets of gears out there...and they have the same part numbers.

This is covered in paragraph #3 of the 5003 and 5010 Service Notes.  The number of splines is 10 in the early shaft and gears...and it is 11 splines in the newer shaft and gears.  Phil, yours should be 11 teeth in the fork gears etc.  :) 

BTW...those teeth get worn like that from not coming to a complete stop before shifting the transmission.  Always come to a complete stop before shifting.

• Like 1

Phil Burley

5b51ce03302eb_rustybox.JPG.041b7930964a1991053e5540ddf62ff4.JPGthe

Phil Burley

box.JPG.424e65eea4e7afc2bfcf19695c9f4940.JPGBox cleaned up and rebuilt , still got some end float on the input shaft , but decided to see how it works , when we have got the engine going  , Regards Phil UK   many thanks for the help with sorting this out

• Like 2

gwest_ca
On 7/15/2018 at 11:03 AM, Phil Burley said:

hello , Yes it's a Belgium one , according to the plate,  chassis number 145141? last number we cant read , A 3 speed and reverse , similar to the one in the video , ours has a circlip on the axle shaft in the differential , the  one in the video has  a roll pin , Kohler engine  but cant find any numbers on that, have the head off , the valves very badly need a grind  when we tried to start it , it was puffing through the air intake , valve not seating I assume . Were they made in Belgium or just imported to there  ?

Regards Phil

I think you have all the serial numbers. They fit in with the others that have shown up. Click on the picture

Garry

• Like 1

Phil Burley

some of then bolts on these machines are incredibly hard . very good quality, you don't get these days , a couple holding the foot boards wouldn,t unscrew so I ground them off . Yesterday I tried to drill them out , no chance !!  sharpened the drills no end of times ,I ended up  cutting the brackets off and welding new ones on .

regards Phil from UK