Pogo 57

B100 Fuel Tank

Pogo 57

Went to replace fuel line on my 76 B100.  The bung and fuel shutoff came out of the tank bottom.  How do you put it back on that little hole in the tamk bottom?  Is there a secret?  Is there an

alterative  part to replace this poorly engineered design?  It came out of the tank very easily just by lifting the tank off?  Thanks so much.

gwest_ca

That bushing is still used today by almost every manufacturer. Get a new one and put a smear of Vaseline on it and work it into the tank. Then do the same thing with the valve.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/parts/46-6560/

Garry

• Like 2

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, Pogo 57 said:

there a secret?  Is there an

alterative  part to replace this poorly engineered design?  It came out of the tank very easily just by lifting the tank off

11 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Get a new one

@Pogo 57 that wasn't really all that much of a design flaw... When it was new.

Your biggest problem there is the age of the grommet.

I've run into this exact same scenario myself and probably experienced a similar level of frustration and confusion. When you buy a new one it will be flexible and pliable and will pop right in. Note that I called out Gary's quote of "get a new one."

That might be the most important set of words in his reply.

As to the shut-off valve being replaced, even if yours seems perfectly fine and is not leaking I would throw another one in there. They're only a few bucks and it could save an eventual headache. 

The rubber o-ring in that is likely the same age as the dried out rubber that the grommet is made of.

• Like 3

clueless

You can buy a new bung and shut off cheap on ebay.To install, put a little Vaseline, 3 in 1 oil, bearing grease, are motor oil around the nipple of the bung and shutoff valve, push the shut off half way into the bung then put the bung in the tank hole and push the shut off valve in, should pop right in. You will probably get another 42 years out of this poorly engineered design ;).

• Like 3

rmaynard
4 hours ago, Pogo 57 said:

...this poorly engineered design...

I would not go so far as to say it was a poorly designed part. My 1977 B-100 still has it's original grommet and valve and it does not leak. I'd say that is a pretty good design in my opinion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pogo 57

Ok guys, took the parts to my local Amish small engine shop and the guy went to the shelf and pulled both parts.  10 bucks and on my way to finishing up this job.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Confused 1

Tractor boy

I don’t know the Amish has gas engines!

rjg854

How do you think they generate their electricity or the air they use for their tools ;)   The milk they get from the cows must be refrigerated if it sold to a milk producer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1