PeacemakerJack

“The 582”—my red headed stepchild!

ebinmaine

Love this machine Josh!

"Red Cubs" were not common and an unknown item to many.

Please be sure to share your progress.

My grandfather would be proud.

:D

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

Josh, my dad has a 1200 (manual)and 1450(hydro) "Quietline" the precursor to the "82" series you have there, the biggest drawback with the manual lift is the rod in the lift handle that mates in the height sector teeth (other than arm strong rotator cuff soreness) but that's what we used to garden and snow removal with for several years and it does have a spring assisted lift (to the left side of the differential above the oil stain) for whether the front snow thrower or rear plow/bades, try cubcadetspectialties for your needs, Jeff.

IMAG4061.jpg

IMAG4062.jpg

IMAG4056.jpg

Screenshot_20180711-045854.png

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

shallowwatersailor

When we bought our house in MD the Fall of 2010, there was a IH 582 Special that had been left derelict on the property. It had been built two months before IH sold to MTD. I asked the previous owner to leave it for me with hopes of it becoming a future project. The first Thanksgiving there, my younger daughter and I moved it back to the carport area using a farm jack - two feet at a time- so that I could start to work on it. But  I never got anywhere with getting it back it to life, so just used it for helping to keep the mice and squirrels at bay. I did come close back then to buying a 782 with a blade, but it was too much and by then I was committed to Wheel Horses. Eventually I sold the 582 Special to a Cub collector.

DSC04877.JPG.87e9cc8cb60f2f5d1ead1abab805bb2c.JPG

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 3

Achto

That's going to be a great plow tractor! As you know Josh, I have a soft spot for the 82 series Cubs.

My niece's husband seems to have fallen for them also and has started a good size collection of them. His heard includes a 282, 382, 1282, 682's, 782's & his most recent 2 482's. The 482 is a new one by me, I hadn't seen one before he acquired his. He is still on the look out for a 982, 582, & 582S plus any others to fill in the blanks.

Edited by Achto
  • Excellent 1

Rp.wh

I hate to say it but if i found one cheap enough i think i might have to have one preferably a diesel but they arent cheap looking real good josh i forgot about that one!

• Thanks 1

Achto
7 minutes ago, Rp.wh said:

I hate to say it but if i found one cheap enough i think i might have to have one

Don't feel bad, It's probably the red paint that pulls you in. :lol:

• Haha 2

PeacemakerJack
Just now, Rp.wh said:

...I forgot about that one!

I don’t have the awesome magic shed like @AMC RULES but tractors have been known to lurk out of sight here for a period of time before showing their “faces” and surprising someone...

10 minutes ago, Achto said:

My niece's husband... started a good size collection of them. His heard includes a 282, 382, 1282, 682's, 782's & his most recent 2 482's...He is still on the look out for a 982, 582, & 582S plus any others to fill in the blanks.

Wow! That is an impressive collection of “the red ones”.  I still find it fascinating that IH had been red for decades and then when they brought the Cub Cadet to market they opted for White and Federal yellow (borrowed from there commercial/industrial line) versus traditional red.  The only logical answer was the success of :wh: already and it’s clear branding with red.  Then as IH fell prey to poor management and “dollar robbing beast” called the 1970’s, they were trying anything to stay afloat.  I can’t imagine the meeting where they declared after 17 years of branding yellow and white, we are going to change to red!  The cool thing for collectors is that those final IH produced machines are rare and special.  As you most of you guys probably know, MTD continued producing the ‘82 series throughout the 1980’s (some in red to be sold at AG dealers, the majority in traditional yellow and white to be sold everywhere else).  Makes me wonder how many people drove by a red ‘82 series and assumed from a glance that it was a Wheel Horse:think: :lol:

26 minutes ago, shallowwatersailor said:

When we bought our house in MD the Fall of 2010, there was a IH 582 Special that had been left derelict on the property. It had been built two months before IH sold to MTD.

That would also be a rare find.  The “special” was a loss leader product with the Peerless transaxle.  Not as stought as the traditional Farmall Cub rear that was repurposed to the Cadet line from day one. However, it gave IH another option to save the consumer money by offering a very similar gear drive tractor to the 582 at a lower cost.  Glad you sold it to a collector!:greetings-clappingyellow:

PeacemakerJack
2 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

the biggest drawback with the manual lift is the rod in the lift handle that mates in the height sector teeth

it does have a spring assisted lift (to the left side of the differential above the oil stain)

Thanks for sharing Jeff.  I bought a starter for my diesel cub from CC specialties in the spring.  A great go to resource for someone looking at old Cubs and needing parts.  Tell me more about the lift rod handle/sector teeth situation.  I see what you are talking about looking at it but I’d like to know what problems you faced with it...

WVHillbilly520H
3 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

That would also be a rare find.  The “special” was a loss leader product with the Peerless transaxle.  Not as stought as the traditional Farmall Cub rear that was repurposed to the Cadet line from day one. However, it gave IH another option to save the consumer money by offering a very similar gear drive tractor to the 582 at a lower cost.  Glad you sold it to a collector!:greetings-clappingyellow:

The 482 also has the peerless transaxle that was actually belt driven from a right angle gear box that was shaft driven from the engines, bought one just for the 38" mower deck for dad's 1200, also Cub Cadet kept changing the mounting brackets at the front just enough you had to buy each new models specific attachments unlike :wh:'s run from '73 till end of production on the classic series, the 282/383 were more like the :wh: 200 series vertical shaft series, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
3 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

Thanks for sharing Jeff.  I bought a starter for my diesel cub from CC specialties in the spring.  A great go to resource for someone looking at old Cubs and needing parts.  Tell me more about the lift rod handle/sector teeth situation.  I see what you are talking about looking at it but I’d like to know what problems you faced with it...

Josh when I go over this weekend I'll take pics and follow up and fill you on, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Sweet—thanks!

shallowwatersailor
14 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

The 482 also has the peerless transaxle that was actually belt driven from a right angle gear box that was shaft driven from the engines, bought one just for the 38" mower deck for dad's 1200, also Cub Cadet kept changing the mounting brackets at the front just enough you had to buy each new models specific attachments unlike :wh:'s run from '73 till end of production on the classic series, the 282/383 were more like the :wh: 200 series vertical shaft series, Jeff.

That was maybe the downfall of the 582 Special that I had. It was locked in two gears and even the collector I sold it to couldn't get the cover with the shifter off. 

Mike'sHorseBarn

I love the red cubs and have a soft spot in my heart for them. When i was a kid i spent MANY hours on my dad's 382 mowing grass for people around the neighborhood to make a few $$. 

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

My grandfather would be proud.

:D

I know it is elsewhere on this site, but please post that ultra cool pic of Grandpa on his 682 here in this thread...

ebinmaine
12 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I know it is elsewhere on this site, but please post that ultra cool pic of Grandpa on his 682 here in this thread...

You got it Josh. I'm honored to share it.

This is my mother's parents.

Mr. and Mrs. Fannie Bell and Rodney King.

I'm only guessing a little bit here but I think this picture was probably taken in the mid-1990s.

This is the second of his two Cubs. The other one was the traditional yellow and white.

They had about eight acres of land which was about half forest and have Open Fields. They used it for 15 or 20 years I guess. Mowed quite often. Collected the clippings and also used it to move some firewood and other stuff around the property.

He was so impressed with his two international Cub Cadet tractors that he bought a cub snowblower which now is going to be the donor engine for my honey's 657.

20180202_155130.jpg.90a1f955a5879e638e7bb2dcc8d779bd.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

PeacemakerJack

:text-goodpost:thanks Eric—that pic and story never get old to me.  I feel privileged to have it included in my thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

The 682 and 782 were basically the same tractors the 682 being manual lift hydrostatic drive 17 hp twin cylinder Kohler and the 782 same except hydraulic lift, then there was the 782D 15 hp Kubota 3 cylinder diesel, the 982 was the "super garden tractor" longer wheelbase "19.5" hp Onan twin cylinder, rear turning brakes (think JD 420), 60" deck 54" power angle dozer blade 48" Hanan 2 stage snow blower...BTW did I mention my first job out of highschool was the local IH,CC farm machinery dealer, Jeff.

• Like 1

diesel cowboy
4 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

I can’t imagine the meeting where they declared after 17 years of branding yellow and white, we are going to change to red!

It was due to the fact that at the same time the 82 series Cadets were coming out IH was releasing the 88 series farm tractors.  They decided to redesign the Cadets to match the farm tractors and their sales promotion for the year was called America's Farming Heritage Comes Home to announce that the full line of tractors now looked almost the same from the 182 Cadet up to the 2+2 6588

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

True.

But it still is akin to going into your local power tools store, looking all over for the DeWalt’s that you prefer only to ask a salesman. He says, “you walked by the display three times, it’s the red and grey tools over there!”

Its like seeing a horse in Yellow and Green...:angry-nono:

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, PeacemakerJack said:

A horse in Yellow and Green...

Hey don't be gross man.....

Dats juss nasssty.

:ROTF:

• Haha 3

WVHillbilly520H

@PeacemakerJack, here's a few pics of what I was pointing out with an a weak spot with the Quietline and 82 series manual lift, the height sector teeth wear out from all the weight of attachments hanging in them so I made a new piece to help hold up longer about 20+ years ago, but after getting the hydraulic 1450 for the snow thrower I found a new lift sector, plus the latch rod end up twisting in the handle so we welded the flat bar to it keep it from twisting and hanging up, ...now if it's only going to be a plow dog I would find the hydro lift parts and run a pump off the PTO on an old mower cradle just my :twocents-twocents:, Jeff.

IMAG4716.jpg

IMAG4718.jpg

IMAG4717.jpg

IMAG4720.jpg

IMAG4721.jpg

IMAG4722.jpg

• Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

I definitely know what you are saying there Jeff.  Lots of thought about what to do with it...hydraulic lift was my initial thought and I may still go that way but right now exploring the cheapest, simplest way to accomplish the goal.  

Thank you you so much for the pictures, I can see how the repeated use beat the snot out of those teeth...

• Thanks 1

RandyLittrell
On 7/11/2018 at 11:07 AM, WVHillbilly520H said:

The 682 and 782 were basically the same tractors the 682 being manual lift hydrostatic drive 17 hp twin cylinder Kohler and the 782 same except hydraulic lift, then there was the 782D 15 hp Kubota 3 cylinder diesel, the 982 was the "super garden tractor" longer wheelbase "19.5" hp Onan twin cylinder, rear turning brakes (think JD 420), 60" deck 54" power angle dozer blade 48" Hanan 2 stage snow blower...BTW did I mention my first job out of highschool was the local IH,CC farm machinery dealer, Jeff.

I like the red ones too, my son and I have a 682 and a 784, which is a 782 with a dual stick. He picked that one up for cheap but we have a couple of things to do to it yet. 

Randy

PeacemakerJack

Got “the FIVE” out today to flatten the lawn!

33594B5C-994F-4820-9D98-110396DAD3D1.jpeg.03075df1c5f19f56cd9b441e42c11e35.jpeg

Ive owned it for a couple of years but don’t use it for much since I don’t have my Cat 0 on it yet for plowing.  It is running a little rough from all the sitting but hopefully a tank full of fresh premium “go-juice” and some Sea Foam and it will be running better tomorrow.

20D3B68A-60AC-47C4-B0DA-ED40586C123E.jpeg.4185ba6bef0dc3c68e49aec703d948f6.jpeg

This is a fun little GD tractor and seems to make decent power with the Briggs 18 I/C opposed twin...

• Like 3
  • Heart 1