josephd2212

mower deck mows uneven rows

josephd2212

I have a 37" deck on a 414-8.  I have adjusted the deck so it sits flat (did this on the garage floor).

It seems to have a high spot in the middle of mow pattern.  I tested this by looking back at a full cut through the middle of the lawn.

Does this scream anything in particular, that may be the cause?  I just received the tractor and mower, so this is the first summer to be using it.

Wildhorse

Could be a few things. Bent blade, mower deck itself damaged or spindle damage. Park mower on level surface and lower deck, with mower off turn blades by hand (with gloves) check for blade clearance of both blades from ground in same position at multiple spots in rotation. 

• Like 1

Jerry77

I had a 42 inch sd years ago that I bent when I hit a water meter cast iron lid...never was the same again...I tried to straighten it, but never got it right..if yours is bent, you  might as well look for another one..:mellow:

josephd2212

i know pap did hit something at some point because it has a tear on the front of the deck that I bent back into position.  I had the blades off and held them up to each other but nothing seemed to be bent when comparing.  I'll check their clearances throught the blade rotation and see what I come up with.   Thank You!

Mal(Pa)

Hi Joseph,I am having the same problem on my 414-8 with a 42 inch rear discharge deck.To me the directions are sort of confusing but I do the best I can.I'll be watching for more help on this problem. BTW I only live a few miles from Howard,Pa between Mill Hall and Blanchard on the road along the railroad tracks. Maybe we can share some help when necessary.Welcome to Red Square.:)

Kurt-NEPA

I would double check the front to rear leveling.  If the front is high, the center blade will cut higher than the outer blades.  When I got my 522xi, the 52in deck was doing just what you described.  I crawled under the deck on my garage floor, the front was adjusted 1" High, its supposed to be 1/8" low.  Make sure you check this with the deck down, not raised.

Best method I've found is to use wooden gauge blocks.  I cut a piece of 2X4 about 1/4" short of the floor to blade distance.  Then check the clearance on each blade front to rear and side to side.  It can be really hard to get the far blade.  But you often see the issues this way.

Good Luck

clueless

Is it a 37" deck, if it is it has two blades, all the others have three blades, we need to know that first.

• Like 1

tunahead72
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:51 PM, josephd2212 said:

I have a 37" deck on a 414-8...

shallowwatersailor

Try one of these. They are available from Oregon, JD, Stens, and probably others.

5b571ddc59d59_JohnDeereMowerGauge.jpeg.b1eb30a60aca764ffbc0c9fa586a111b.jpeg

• Like 1