Pullstart

Shop project...

Pullstart

Getting somewhere, my father in law helped me in the shop a bit tonight.  We mounted the filter behind the bumper.  We can remove the center plastic section and service the filter now.  Wiring is together, linkages and driveshafts are tight.  We need to finish the exhaust, install tires and fill the transmission.

A83CAC44-8E6D-498C-8915-A0B453CBF6F1.jpeg

A33F4BDB-EA27-4854-AC6B-4D9947FB53C4.jpeg

77DCCAD4-9356-4E2F-9E55-D2486B773C90.jpeg

7010D8EB-813D-44A7-8644-09E97227117D.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

She drives!  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

Well done!

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, pullstart said:

She drives!  

YYEEAAAAHHHHHH

• Thanks 1

Sarge

My son in law just went through the same process on the same generation Chevy - his rear transfer case adapter broke in a bad way, again. I still say the whole mounting system is to blame - way to much leverage against that driveline and not enough support structure to prevent the aluminum parts from flexing when pushed hard. We're going to explore adding a cage to the rear of the trans/transfer section to box it together. Much like the same solutions that rock crawlers have used for years to prevent gearbox failures - been there, done that myself far too often when I was wheeling a lot. I actually spun the entire divorced transfer case in my Suzuki and exploded a rear gear pulling a semi once - that led to boxing in the mounting system and tying the thing into the heavy skid plate I built. Never had a problem after that aside from broken axles and I wheeled that truck really hard in the woods - some days spent with it laying on its side most of the time.

Good idea on the return filter - and yes, they do seem to help a lot to keep debris out of the valve body.

Sarge

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
6 minutes ago, Sarge said:

My son in law just went through the same process on the same generation Chevy - his rear transfer case adapter broke in a bad way, again. I still say the whole mounting system is to blame - way to much leverage against that driveline and not enough support structure to prevent the aluminum parts from flexing when pushed hard. We're going to explore adding a cage to the rear of the trans/transfer section to box it together. Much like the same solutions that rock crawlers have used for years to prevent gearbox failures - been there, done that myself far too often when I was wheeling a lot. I actually spun the entire divorced transfer case in my Suzuki and exploded a rear gear pulling a semi once - that led to boxing in the mounting system and tying the thing into the heavy skid plate I built. Never had a problem after that aside from broken axles and I wheeled that truck really hard in the woods - some days spent with it laying on its side most of the time.

Good idea on the return filter - and yes, they do seem to help a lot to keep debris out of the valve body.

Sarge

Suzuki vs semi....  I could see how that might end with carnage!  I pulled a stuck ABF Freight truck out of a ditch with my 1990 1/2 ton short box Chevy and a 4”x50’ strap, he thought the wrecker company sent me!

Sarge

I had it moving just fine - 63,000lbs total. The Suzuki had 5.14 transfer case gears with 4.62 rear ends in it and dual lockers - no problem with gearing or torque or traction. It tore the mounts loose when the idiot in the semi though he could just bump start it in 2nd gear while I was pulling him up the Interstate ramp under a load - that cost him $800 cash. Had a buddy run up to the house, grab my spare stock case with mounts and a spare gear plus one axle. Had it running/driving about 2hrs later from the Shell station parking lot. That poor little rig was my daily driver, as well as a wheeling toy. Run it on the weekends offroad, fix it on Sunday afternoon and go to work on Monday. Did that for almost 15yrs with it before I got hurt - sure had a lot of good times for what I invested in that rig. 

Sarge

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

Next shop subject, this old 84 F-350.  I’m not a blue oval guy, let’s just clarify this right now, however I think this was a pretty slick body style.  Based on the wiring cobble jobs alone, I’m pretty sure the PO shouldn’t have been allowed to breed.  This will never be intended as a road vehicle.  When we started talking about a pond, I got this for what I would call a song.... sight unseen at the auction.   It runs and the dump system works great for what I need.  I might be getting a visit in the next month from my big brother, who can use his work excavator on the weekends to help me dig a pond.  I better get this thing moving and stopping!  I need to fix the transmission lines, brake lines, wiring and maybe clean the carb.  I replaced the fuel lines already, along with the distributor cap and rotor.

324442E0-9ABB-4C30-9054-702B7BE57456.jpeg

ACF66C97-1B65-4C69-BE7A-BC00F8A4A10C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine

Kev. Don't worry about not being a blue oval guy.

We can all be re-educated...

:P

Seriously though. I've had all kinds of brands of cars but really only Chevy and Ford trucks. Had about equal luck with both of them. I agree that the body lines of those early 80s are nice.

I'll be looking forward to see how this one works out for you.

• Haha 1

Pullstart

Old cooler on top, new to this truck on bottom.  The lines were leaking, but if I can upgrade AND fix, why not?  It has a 180 degree thermostat switch if I ever decide to install a fan, but I doubt this will ever work hard enough to get too hot.

90CDF840-B9BC-4321-8098-C9BAE5C72C49.jpeg

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H

Kevin, I'm sorry you have to endure the torture of the blue oval (at least an honest car company they have circled every mistake made since the first one) all kidding aside good luck on your next project, I lucked into my C30 that they had already done a majority of the "rustification" work, new  floor pans rockers and doors, most of the mechanicals were OK, just a few piddly issues for now.

IMAG5531.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart
18 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Kevin, I'm sorry you have to endure the torture of the blue oval (at least an honest car company they have circled every mistake made since the first one) all kidding aside good luck on your next project, I lucked into my C30 that they had already done a majority of the "rustification" work, new  floor pans rockers and doors, most of the mechanicals were OK, just a few piddly issues for now.

IMAG5531.jpg

I’m up for trading ya!  :teasing-poke:

• Haha 1

Pullstart

Well, the lines are fixed and the “new” cooler is mounted.  Oh how versatile zip ties are!  

B76D8B06-D484-429F-AAA9-5ED68B4E5ED2.jpeg

7D1AA092-5FD8-49C1-B403-7075C3815069.jpeg

• Like 3

Pullstart

Yum.... molasses!  Most of the carb is plugged up.  I’m pulling it to clean up,  then we’ll see if it’ll start by itself maybe?

52B82BC9-9190-4253-B91D-3D43D74BF1B2.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

zip ties are

Zip ties are our friends

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Looks yummy....

do you did a oilchange also?

think if the carb lookslike that, maybe the oil looks identically? 

Just after a first Fireup i would do.

nice truck.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
9 hours ago, pullstart said:

Yum.... molasses!  Most of the carb is plugged up.  I’m pulling it to clean up,  then we’ll see if it’ll start by itself maybe?

52B82BC9-9190-4253-B91D-3D43D74BF1B2.jpeg

I feel ya... But you'll get it.

IMAG4873.jpg

IMAG4872.jpg

IMAG5003.jpg

• Like 1

ericj

if the carb looks that bad, what does the fuel tank look like ?????

eric j 

Pullstart
9 hours ago, ericj said:

if the carb looks that bad, what does the fuel tank look like ?????

eric j 

It was empty, luckily.  When I ran new fuel lines, I put two inline filters right near the tank to switch out often, if needed.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Think it will be first time maybe several cleanups shall not a bad idea...

ok this is a Petrol Car, mine in the past was a Diesel.

Hope you have a plastic tank, otherwise some rust maybe will congest the filter...

Oh, what memories come up....😇 Thanks Kevin- 

After i bought my old Mercedes RV Truck about 20Years ago,

( buy it before it was an Oltimer) it stands for about 6 Years without any moving and taken of care in a Barn.

When i see it first time, i fel in love with her. What a Lady...

With Transfer numbers i did my first travel with that Thing i never driven before 560 Km far...😎

To a friend with a Truck size Garage...

I'm thinking to myself, oh not a thing, it is a Mercedes what shall be happen....😂😂😂

I just bought the complete spare of Dieselfilters 20pcs. from a Truckstore (can't exactly tell why i did this, but sometimes i hear a internal voice and listen to her), checked first the Oil - looks not too bad and has fingertest passed about lubrication, then i checked the Watercooling - it seems fine and keeps water, and last but not least i checked the mechanical parts about the Brakes -(just in case if airpressure fails) all seems to work normal.

Change Dieselfilter just to be save, the i put in 2 brandnew Batteries in, bleeding and Fireup...

it started after the 5 try and runns pretty well.

so i enhanced my opinion, i do that Trip....🤓

The first 5Km i think i lost my complete dental fillings, the tyres was more square then round, but i continoued the trip,

nothing is harder than me - hahaha...😂😂😂 but the Engine runs great until first 20 Km

On the next reachable Station i fill up the Dieseltank to max (180liters) to drive that trip at once.

It was an Oldie Truck, so 75Km/h was Vmax...😎😇 no time to loose...

It was 85Km later, perfectly timed direct on a Highway without any Border in the dark rainy night, where the street goes a bit uphill,

i feel suddenly a big loss of Power and i nearly stand immediately. 

Just a Bit more as idle and the Engine stops...

Ok, the first Filter was congested and i come to a bad situation to change the Dieselfilter, and bleeding with handpump.

This pump was so idioticaly mounted, that i scrap each pump up my finger....

don't wanna talk about how happy i was for that situation....

Ok two solutions - bloody fingers or Stop...

To Bleed you have to pump 40x up and dowm...😎

each time to pump you thinked - ok, ouch, only once more...😂

....after 5 times pull the starter with full throttle it fireup again.

I tried to continouse my Trip, but about 80Km later same play again, luckily there was a parking area.

This horrortrip continouse with shorter comeing intervalls by Filter congest.

After the 10. times, the Filterchangeintervals extended and after further 10 filters later all was fine.

what i didn't know at that time, the Diesel was not usable for the Old Tanks, while they where coated inside.

the Changes Fuel releases tis coating from the Metal of the Tank.

The horriblest thing on that first trip was the situations, where i must change the Filters.

I remember, as it where yesterday...

i memory on that, a simple changable Prefilter is allway's a good idea.👍

Kevin, Hope you will never catch such memories, but if you do, accept it, you wan't miss them later on....

i know where i'm talking about...

with a big grin 

Stefan

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

What a mess.... someday I’ll have the time to clean house again!  Pulling the t-case for inspection today.

D15BF08C-7C67-493C-90C7-AE7A8116C7B1.jpeg

• Like 3

Pullstart

Well, good news is that the t-case is fine.  Bad news, the transmission output shaft is spinning free when the gear selector is in park, drive, reverse, or anywhere in between.

• Sad 3

Pullstart

I called the shop that just did the trans, no answer from either number.  A local transmission supply has an output shaft in stock for $60 and some change.  Sounds  like I’ll be pulling it apart myself this go-round.

• Sad 1

ebinmaine

@#&/(+#@$

Pullstart
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@#&/(+#@$

True, true