Pullstart

Shop project...

Tractorhead

Oh oh..  whow,

never seen a rotten Trailerhitch like that.

ZXT
2 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

:text-yeahthat: I should’ve weighed it Dan—it was probably 25% lighter than the new one!😂

I'm afraid to ask what the frame looks like :hide:

ebinmaine
39 minutes ago, ZXT said:

Odds are good the frame is perfectly fine.

I've seen quite a few vehicles over the years that the frame is in great condition although crusty but the trailer hitch is 10% past fundamentally useless. 

• Like 2

Pullstart

I sold the Texas truck’s back bumper the other day, the guy who bought it was hauling a bobcat and the bumper broke in half... hitch dropped down to the ground!

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Achto
49 minutes ago, pullstart said:

the guy who bought it was hauling a bobcat and the bumper broke in half

And this is why I only keep domesticated cats, they don't get that big.:ROTF:

• Haha 9

PeacemakerJack
6 hours ago, ZXT said:

Ironically...other than some surface scaling like Eric said, the frame looks really good. The rockers and door lowers—that’s unfortunately a different story!  

I have owned the excursion for about 7 years and it now has almost 360,000 miles.  It is a great vehicle within its intended purpose but keeping a body on a salt belt vehicle is nearly impossible😡

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Tractorhead

I use normally spray Wax for Cavity Sealing.

therefore i have an gun with a longer hose to applicate.

that helps prevent to rotten such parts from inner to outerside.

• Like 1

953 nut
12 hours ago, pullstart said:

bumper broke in half... hitch dropped down to the ground!

:confusion-confused:              Hope he had the trailer safety chains attached to the hitch.               :hide:                make parts retrieval a lot easier!                :ychain:

• Haha 3

tom2p
21 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Oh oh..  whow,

never seen a rotten Trailerhitch like that.

apparently Ford used some low/poor quality steel in many parts 

was not uncommon to see Ford SUV running boards with significant rust (holes) in just a few years 

Ford probably not the only one 

Tractorhead

Here‘s a pict of my applicator.

536760D5-B5BE-4DF5-A1F7-BC88A9E6C942.jpeg.0cbe6dafcbe598aee7e7ece5a1bb5377.jpeg

works with Corosions protective grease i.eg mike sanders or fluid film grease and oil

and even also with Wax and a Wax oil mixture.

• Like 2

Pullstart

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

So, I’ll do a little commentary here.  I did two oil changes in a week,  the first, using that sea foam in the system for a day or two.  After our 4.5 hr trip hauling the camper last weekend and a trip to town, I figured I’d check fluid levels.  I mentioned the coolant must have burped a bit, it was a tad low.  The oil after the long haul still looks brand new.  I’ve never seen any diesel with anything but black oil.  That sea foam did such a good job flushing the garbage out of the engine, it’s got to be brand new shiney in the entire block!  Woo hoo!  Norman hauled the camper at a brisk 80 mph on the way home caravaning with my FIL and the motorhome.  Never an issue!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

ZXT

So did those trucks not have a lift pump from the factory? You'd think it'd be factory wired into the fuse block.

• Sad 1

Pullstart
11 minutes ago, ZXT said:

So did those trucks not have a lift pump from the factory? You'd think it'd be factory wired into the fuse block.

No, they relied on the injection pump alone at first.  These years are known for “bad injectors” but the entire fuel system was poorly designed.  Let’s talk filtration and fuel system design.  These injectors were spec’d for 10 micron fuel supply.  Injection pumps are now known to need fuel volume supplied to them for less cavitation and better performance of the overall system.  The stock fuel filter is a 40 micron filter.  4 times the diameter of the injector’s design!  The fuel filter is above the passenger side valve cover... so fuel runs along the driver’s frame rail, across the engine, through the filter, through the injection computer (not sure why), then to the cp3 pump.  That’s a ton of suction that pump isn’t designed to do.  It’s bound to get air bubbles and dirty fuel!  The lift pumps pre-filter the fuel, supply huge volumes of clean fuel to the injection pump and have a return to the tank for excess fuel and any air in the system as well.  Big improvement there!

• Like 2

Pullstart

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ZXT
13 hours ago, pullstart said:

No, they relied on the injection pump alone at first.  These years are known for “bad injectors” but the entire fuel system was poorly designed.  Let’s talk filtration and fuel system design.  These injectors were spec’d for 10 micron fuel supply.  Injection pumps are now known to need fuel volume supplied to them for less cavitation and better performance of the overall system.  The stock fuel filter is a 40 micron filter.  4 times the diameter of the injector’s design!  The fuel filter is above the passenger side valve cover... so fuel runs along the driver’s frame rail, across the engine, through the filter, through the injection computer (not sure why), then to the cp3 pump.  That’s a ton of suction that pump isn’t designed to do.  It’s bound to get air bubbles and dirty fuel!  The lift pumps pre-filter the fuel, supply huge volumes of clean fuel to the injection pump and have a return to the tank for excess fuel and any air in the system as well.  Big improvement there!

Dang, that's crazy on the factory filter micron rating! I bet the injectors last a lot longer with the pre filter.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

All kinds of excitement around Pullstart Stables today!

Norman will never need to squat again...

FB546C4E-A7A7-4242-83E0-9B815B86AF2A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

lynnmor
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

All kinds of excitement around Pullstart Stables today!

Norman will never need to squat again...

Since you are up there in cold country, read the instructions about adding air brake fluid (alcohol) to the bags.  Easy to do before installation, a pain later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart
11 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Since you are up there in cold country, read the instructions about adding air brake fluid (alcohol) to the bags.  Easy to do before installation, a pain later.

thanks for the help on that!  Question (probably in the instructions). I don’t drive this during winter time.  Does it still apply?

lynnmor
2 minutes ago, pullstart said:

thanks for the help on that!  Question (probably in the instructions). I don’t drive this during winter time.  Does it still apply?

I don't know if any harm would be done.  As you know, when air is compressed there is usually water in the system.  The alcohol is cheap so I added it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart

Norman got those air bags tonight... with a dose of air brake antifreeze in them!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

Now, I’m borrowing the WHRat’s winch setup for Norman’s deck.

9F9695AC-4F93-4C6B-A644-6EA8A6D21EBB.jpeg

6686540E-9DC1-4006-B4FA-812DA5AAE419.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

I now have an E-track compatible wireless remote winch!  I’ll likely add a pigtail to plug into the trailer harness to charge the battery during use.

55F2F27C-D328-4B92-BA39-CF09D6648456.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Be careful with the e-track business. They have been known to pull out. The track itself is not real hi test.  

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
15 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Be careful with the e-track business. They have been known to pull out. The track itself is not real hi test.  

Didn’t know that, thanks!  I’ll make sure to at least attach to the closest to a good bolt then. :handgestures-thumbupright: