Pullstart

Shop project...

Pullstart

WVHillbilly520H

Seems some internet Dmax surfing leads to Boost causing sheared cam sprocket pins something to look into.

WHX??

Just thinking out loud here any of the electronics went south and caused a timing issue?

Pullstart

Thanks for all the help guys, I have very in depth instructions for setting valve lash and it should be able to help me verify cam timing as well.

• Like 2

oliver2-44

My neighbor has a 2014 Chevy with a duramax.  Back in the spring it went to making noise and the found 1 bent exhaust pushrod. It has roughly 40k miles and it’s a Sunday driver truck.  The GM tech knew right what it was a soon as he heard it. Which means he’s repaired the same issue a few times. The heaviest work it sees is pulling his boat across the neighborhood a few times a year. 
Your heavy duty pushrods are a great investment 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Greentored

Nice job!  Shop ' thrash fests' are always epic!

My diesel knowledge is limited, as is my 'newer vehicle' knowledge, but looks like ya got it taken care of anyhow:handgestures-thumbupright:

My first thought when listening to the vid was "oh boy, it blew that hose off and sucked something through the intake." 

One thing I DO know is, when making any intake boot connections on the 'boost' side, make sure they are squeaky clean- no oil, grease, whatever. Rumor has it certain manufacturers boots just flat out wont stay on no matter what you do. If this happens again, get some different boots.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
29 minutes ago, Greentored said:

Nice job!  Shop ' thrash fests' are always epic!

My diesel knowledge is limited, as is my 'newer vehicle' knowledge, but looks like ya got it taken care of anyhow:handgestures-thumbupright:

My first thought when listening to the vid was "oh boy, it blew that hose off and sucked something through the intake." 

One thing I DO know is, when making any intake boot connections on the 'boost' side, make sure they are squeaky clean- no oil, grease, whatever. Rumor has it certain manufacturers boots just flat out wont stay on no matter what you do. If this happens again, get some different boots.

Yeah, the turbo blew off hard and therefore created a naturally aspirated Duramax with no hood or filter in a rainstorm.  It was all so powerful!  :ROTF:

Reading up in boots blowing, they say like dirt bike grips, use your favorite wife’s (or wife’s favorite) hairspray product before assembly then crank the boot clamps good n tight!

• Like 1

squonk

Not a good idea to drive down the road with no filter. Too easy to get something sucked in and destroy an engine.

• Like 1

Pullstart

I had no intentions as such, but things blow apart sometimes...

• Sad 1

Pullstart

If I haven’t yet mentioned, the valve stems all have a very close depth from a straight edge across the lower valve cover.  I am on the way to re-assembly on this side then I’ll start it back up for a test listen.  No big pulls or road tests until both sides have strong pushrods!

EF57B2D6-EE95-445A-A28B-B10638CDC159.jpeg

• Like 5

ebinmaine

I'm thinking I must have missed a post but what is it that you changed? I understand there's more boost. Bigger turbo? Improved turbo?

Pullstart

@ebinmaine I added a bigger more air grabber compressor wheel when I rebuilt the turbo, then added larger up pipes to the turbo and down pipe away from the turbo, along with a boost increase valve which essentially slows the wastegate down.  The turbo is internally wastegated.  Along with that, the AirDog lift pump supplies the injection pump with more volume of fuel, so it effectively raises rail pressure, also increasing horsepower and cylinder pressure.  So, there’s a bunch more punch for fairly cheap as far as dollars per horsepower goes vs a gas engine.  I expect to feel a good 100hp more than stock, if not more.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

• Like 1

Pullstart

It runs!  It sounds very good!  Woo hoo!  I need to do the driver’s side now, but all is good on the passenger side!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6

Tractorhead

Sounds great.👍

seems it is definitely just a little rework.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Both sides done, it’s time for a test pull!  :auto-layrubber:

6F54D12A-599C-46B3-8916-9BF31310FF09.jpeg

• Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

AMC RULES

So...can it pull, or no?

• Thanks 1

Pullstart
6 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

So...can it pull, or no?

Absolutely!  It’s a machine for sure!  Norman’s HUNGRY!

• Like 1
  • Heart 3

Pullstart

• Excellent 6

ebinmaine

Super cool. 

Wish you well on the future of Norman. 

It's Awesomeness that you instill in your girls the knowledge of such a broad range of mechanical and technical tasks. 

They're like little "BBTs".... Please do your best to keep that going. 

• Heart 1

Pullstart

All that’s left to do... vacuum the A/C and re-charge.

23F4DEC1-A207-43B7-A064-DC52D3D52526.jpeg

• Excellent 2

953 nut
On 9/28/2020 at 11:21 AM, pullstart said:

Well, it is Monday.  Next Wednesday, I am supposed to hook up the camper and haul about 5 hours south for the races.  I’d love to have a couple days of drive time around here before that!

By next weekend I hope you mean the weekend of the 10th.                              :wwp:

Pullstart

Winchester, IN for the Winchester 400!  One of the most sought after short track titles... is the winner of the 400!  

• Excellent 1

squonk
13 hours ago, pullstart said:

All that’s left to do... vacuum the A/C and re-charge.

23F4DEC1-A207-43B7-A064-DC52D3D52526.jpeg

Don't forget to run the pump for a few hours. You may need adapters to go to the 1/4" flare on the pump and gauge set to the Acme thread for Automotive R134A. Half an hour isn't enough. There will be moisture trapped in the evap and accumulator  as well as that muffler set up on the compressor. Overnight is best.

Edited by squonk

Pullstart
7 minutes ago, squonk said:

Don't forget to run the pump for a few hours. You may need adapters to go to the 1/4" flare on the pump and gauge set to the Acme thread for Automotive R134A. Half an hour isn't enough. There will be moisture trapped in the evap and accumulator  as well as that muffler set up on the compressor. Overnight is best.

Yep, it’s been pumping overnight, since about 4:30 yesterday thanks to your previous professional advice.:handgestures-thumbupright: