Chuck14025

520 H Won't start. 12.6 volts in battery. 10 volts on guage.

Chuck14025

12.6 volts in the battery and at the starter connection.

10 volts on the gauge.

Nothing when key is turned on.

• Like 1

953 nut

5b44ceec908dd_1electrical.jpg.ef4ae54965be53d18faa0e67fca1093d.jpg

• Like 2

Achto

Double check all of your safety's (Seat, PTO, & Neutral switches, these all need to be closed for the starter to work). Also check for a blown fuse. Another place to check is at the 9pin connector for the engine harness, make sure that all the pins are clean & making good contact.

Signal to the engage the starter comes from the small Lt. blue wire that plugs into the starter. This wire should power up with the key switch in the start position. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

RubyCon1

what is the VOLTAGE across the BATTERY when you turn the ignition key to START?

Edited by RubyCon1
  • Like 1

lynnmor

Turn on the switch.  Jump a wire from the little blue wire to the big wire on the starter.  If the starter cranks, the starter and battery are good and then it is time to explore using the demystification guide. 

Chuck14025

Battery voltage is 13.5 when I try to start. Voltmeter on dash shows 8 volts -- indicates a short in the connectors or wiring.

Can you tell me where the 9 pin connector is located on the 520H?

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Chuck14025 said:

Battery voltage is 13.5 when I try to start. Voltmeter on dash shows 8 volts -- indicates a short in the connectors or wiring.

Can you tell me where the 9 pin connector is located on the 520H?

You would only get 13.5 volts if there is a battery charger connected.  If the voltmeter is showing 8 volts at the same time, you have an extremely bad connection or a bad voltmeter.  Connect your voltmeter to the battery directly and then compare readings to a good voltmeter.

In electrical work, everyone likes to use the word "short" but that is often not the case because a fuse would blow when there is a true short.  Bad connections may be the case if voltage is low.

Have you tried jumping the wire at the starter as I explained in an earlier post?   Did you have the battery load tested?  Battery testing is free at Autozone and Advance Autoparts.

The nine pin connector is found next to the battery and is a white plastic block.  Often there will be burned marks and melting resulting in a bad connection.  A previous owner may have did away with the troublesome thing.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• mhvt
      By mhvt
      I have an old B 82 (from the 60s) that will not start. Started earlier today. I have tried everything.

Basically, it sparks but it does not turn over. What could be happening here? 
    • TailGate18
      By TailGate18
      Need help please 
      Can't exactly identify my wheelhorse. I believe I've pinned it between 74-79 but not sure exactly. I'm not real knowledged in mowers but interested in learning. It ran few years ago. Then parked in a storage unit for about 3 years with gas left in it. I can't get it to run at all unless using ether.
      I've drained all the old gas, I've replaced the fuel lines, new plug, new gas, but it just won't start up and keep going. I figured on new carb but don't know exactly what I'm looking for and thought I'd better know the exact details of the mower so I know I get the right parts. Any help would be appreciated. The info I do have is as follows.
      The mower itself all I could find was one tag on the frame under the gas tank.
      ID # 61-08K801-05782
      Then under that 4 digits

Has a Kohler motor info as follows
      Model-K181
      Spec- 30538
      Displ (cc)- 305
      Serial #- 2613800539

It'll crank but not start. Not even attempt to start. With the fuel line off of the fuel pump it shows it pumps fuel. I thought the possibility of the float being stuck in the bowl but again not very knowledged in this field. Would appreciate any insight, details, knowledge, help or anything of the sort. Or info on the information of the tractor so I know exactly what I'm asking questions about
      Says it's a B-80 8 speed

Thanks in advance

• Jpud
      By Jpud
      I have I believe is a 73 commando 800 8hp kohler k181s put a new switch on it due to starter sticking on and got a new starter and completely charged the battery and new solenoid has power to the battery side of solenoid but not starter side but will turn over if jumped has no power going to the switch. Wondering if anyone had this problem before 
    • lodestonefarm
      By lodestonefarm
      I went out to use my 520H with blower this evening and it won't start.  I used this machine a few days ago (for the first time this winter).  The battery has been on a trickle charge so I don't think that's the problem.  It's done this before where it won't start, won't start, and then starts.  Usually that is in cold weather and after I've previously used it to blow snow.  I don't have a heated garage so I think it might have some ice somewhere that was introduced as water the last time I blew snow.

Here's what it's currently doing.  When I turn the Ignition to 'On' the red warning lights and the dashs light all come on.  When I turn the key to start position I get a single 'Click' and nothing more.  I tried jumping it from a hot battery just to rule out a bad battery.  Same behavior.  Following some of the other threads about 520s with trouble starting, I pulled the blue wire off the starter solenoid.  If I run a jumper wire from the (+) side of the battery directly to the solenoid I get the same behavior (regardless of key being in on or off position)- small spark where my jumper wire is touching the battery terminal and a single click.  

I'm unsure what this means about the solenoid and if that, in any way tests, the starter.  Could it be that my starter is bad/frozen?  I tried using a heat lamp to warm up that area, but in this weather (and my garage, which is really just a tarp shed) that just isn't going to work.  

I've downloaded the demystification guide and started looking at it but I'm hoping someone might have some suggestions.  Snow is falling and I'm not making much headway on this.  

Thanks
    • Lablan
      By Lablan
      Well, I put the washers on the flywheel side of the engine and that seems to be working better as far as the starter to flywheel, but the engine won't start. I have a new coil, condenser, plug wires, plugs (not sure about the correct gap though), and a new electric fuel pump with filter. The mower ran one time and mowed the yard a month ago but has not started since then. It started one the first crank when I put all that in new. Is it possible the coil has failed? I even put the old plugs back in to see if that was the issue. The were not burnt. What should I check to test possible failures of the coil or fuel? I think the fuel is going to the carb but not sure if this is enough pressure? Not ready to give up yet...