98layinframe

Is a C111 worth fixing up?

98layinframe

I think I lucked out.. but not sure, maybe I just wasted my money?  I picked this old girl up for 65 bucks the other day.  It's missing a few things, and lots of worn parts but for the most part seems pretty solid for a 39 yr old tractor that spent it's life on a farm.

Is the odd ball c111 worth fixing up, or maybe just keep it as parts?  The motor doesn't run, but turns over and seems to have good compression.   Any on here have any little odd and end parts for it?  I need the air filter assembly, and the little throttle plastic handle. Figure I'll grab a seat off another junk tractor.

Any info on this model and why it has a Briggs instead of a Kohler? I assume the motor is original?

20180705_191542.jpg

• Like 6

DennisThornton

I'd buy all I could get for that! 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

You got a good $200 8 speed  transmission  for 65 bucks with a free tractor attached.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

98layinframe

Haha.. that's definitely one way to think about it!  I'd really like to get it running and use it as a dedicated machine for the rototiller for now. 

• Like 1

benji756

Looks like that is a 1 year only tractor and the 11hp briggs is the correct motor, I would say having a rare one like that is pretty cool.

ebinmaine

I agree with the above comments.

That's a great deal !!

And I too like the "unique" aspect of most things.

Fix her up and get her running.

Pullstart

I’d rather be running a Kohler, but the again I’v never run an 11 horse Briggs...  either way for 65 bucks, you got a great deal!  I paid about 3 times that much for a C-101 with a good deck and a broken rod, and twice that for another one with a good donor engine and transmission (missing carb, steering pieces, etc).

pfrederi

Many GT (International Cub Cadets used then) builders used B&S 11 hp motors.  The are good motors.  Lots of parts are available....

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, pullstart said:

I’d rather be running a Kohler, but the again I’v never run an 11 horse Briggs...  either way for 65 bucks, you got a great deal!  I paid about 3 times that much for a C-101 with a good deck and a broken rod, and twice that for another one with a good donor engine and transmission (missing carb, steering pieces, etc).

2 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Many GT (International Cub Cadets used then) builders used B&S 11 hp motors.  The are good motors.  Lots of parts are available....

I had an 11 horse industrial commercial Briggs that a previous owner had transplanted onto a little Murray. It was a great engine.

Daddy Don

The picture you see in my log is a C-111.I use it as my main tractor. I converted it to a 14hp Kohler and you can do anything you want to with it. I still have the Briggs engine of change to the Kohler will you have to change the key ignition switch. Easy to convert. Good luck with you tractor.    

posifour11
23 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

You got a good $200 8 speed  transmission  for 65 bucks with a free tractor attached.

Yup! You've done well. 

Pollack Pete

Great deal.I would never pass up a Horse for 65 bucks.Like others have said,lots of parts available for Briggs and Stratton.Good luck with your new toy.

• Like 2

98layinframe

Glad to hear its the original motor and yes everything is worn but mostly intact.  hopefully I can get the carb cleaned up and get her purring again. it has one of those finicky old up draft carbs on it... so we'll see how it goes

Any chance any of the guys here might have a couple parts they would sell?  I need the complete air cleaner assembly, and the black plastic T handle part for the Throttle cable on the dash.

ebinmaine
31 minutes ago, 98layinframe said:

Any chance any of the guys here might have a couple parts they would sell?  I need the complete air cleaner assembly, and the black plastic T handle part for the Throttle cable on the dash.

Check with Lincoln at @A-Z Tractor.

Great prices and service.

One of our listed vendors.

• Thanks 1

953 nut

I recall hearing that Kohler was having some sort of labor problems and :wh: branded the B&S tractors with a new number, C-111. They are not as common as the Kohler powered units but some people love them because they are different.