Unitedcs1

267H Electrical Problem

Unitedcs1

Hello All, I'm very limited in diagnosing electrical issues and need some help. I have a 1998 267H. It's been a great machine for over 20yrs and it's well maintained. The issue I'm now having is that it keeps blowing the 30amp fuse and PTO switch.  I replace both, start mowing and after about 10min it completely dies. The 30amp fuse is blown and the switch is dead.  If I bypass the PTO switch and replace the fuse I can get it to start again.  I ran all the meter tests listed in the service manual and suspect the PTO but not sure.  Can anyone give advice on how to make sure it is the PTO? Is thier another way to test the PTO before buying a new one and finding out that it is another issue ?  Thanks

Edited by Unitedcs1
add notification option

oldredrider

Check for chafed wires, especially to and from the pto. To blow a 30 amp fuse it's probably a short somewhere in the wiring.

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca

Suspect you have the 92-6885 pto clutch. Click on the picture and again on the next page

Garry

WHX??

:WRS:

Here is the manual incase you don't have it.

Since the 30 amp is the main fuse it could be anything on the tractor but I would suspect the pto if it only blows while the pto is on. Disconnect the pto at it's plug and see if it blows again. Plug in the pto and see what happens. It may be the pto is overheating as they do get quite hot. Also get some ohmmeter readings of the pto cold and  hot and after the fuse blows.

Garry beat me to it! :)

Edited by WHX20

WHX??

Here it a good source for excellent pto  clutches if that is the culprit.  https://xtremeope.com/ 20 years old I would really suspect that it is bad, mine lasted about that long.

• Like 2

The Gman

I have a 1988 257h and was blowing the 30 amp.

Turns out it wasn't charging as well. Blew out the diodes and scorched a number of wires in the harness.

Had to rebuild the harness in that area.

It's possible if your not charging either.

The clutch draws very little current to clamp "on". Before it fixed it I could cut grass for 5+ hrs with no charging.

20180618_174735.jpg

Edited by The Gman
  • Excellent 1

oneroadkingman

I hope that your clutch isn't bad because it is an expensive part.  I had to replace mine about 3 years ago I was shocked and how expensive it was I can't remember exactly I want to say it was a couple hundred dollars or so.

Unitedcs1

Thanks to all.  Pretty sure I isolated it to the clutch as the amp draw was way out of spec.  Ordered an extreme aftermarket replacement for it (159) as opposed to 425+ for a toro oem.  I'll let you all know how it goes.  Thanks again