dells68

Big Show rj build

dells68

Ok, I finally found something in an old post.  Vin said:

Engine pulley is: 2 1/4" diameter, for 3/4" shaft, 3/16" keyway

Idler pulley is: 2" diameter

Tranny pulley is: 4" diameter, for 3/4" shaft, 3/16" keyway

but then he corrected to 2 1/2” diameter.  Now just to find the correct size pulley!

• Like 2

Pullstart
1 hour ago, dells68 said:

Ok, next hurdle.  I got an engine pulley off of a k91 I used to have.  Well, it’s 2 3/4” outside diameter and a 29” belt appears too short and my belt guard doesn’t fit over the pulley.  I’ve about decided I’ve got too large of an engine pulley.  What size should the engine pulley be on a rj58?  Any help @stevebo or @VinsRJ?  Help!!!!!!  So close, but it’s the little things that keep biting me!.

You can do it Dell, I believe in you!  Once again, no solid input to help you along other than moral support...

• Thanks 1

stevebo

Dells-

You can find them at tractor supply. 

• Thanks 1

dells68

Thanks guys.  I went ahead and ordered one from surplus center.  I don’t know when I’ll get back to Tractor Supply and I have plenty to do until it comes!

• Like 1

dells68

Just a little farther along.  The engine I have has the two 1/4” studs to hold the muffler on instead of internal threads.  I considered tapping it, but decided to make a bolt on flange instead to hopefully ease any future exhaust work.  My 2 1/2” pulley came and my homemade belt guard is going to work out ok.  It’s just resting in place in the pics.  I got the oil bath I got from @Aldon mounted as well and it looks great!  Also, I picked up an almost perfect original seat pan from eBay with a matching patina cover.  I think I’ll back the tears with new vinyl and possibly stitch around them to make sure they don’t tear further.  Anyone have any tips for softening old, stiff vinyl?

4C94EC22-C735-4394-89F0-2BC9770529D3.jpeg

D5FDA301-83A9-495B-9C5A-8E9DFC776B9E.jpeg

9A2EFC8E-9C06-417B-AC85-C93315CD4443.jpeg

E70D8C0B-1933-4E56-9FAD-C14D1D89623D.jpeg

0B375F79-11DC-4222-9E19-34C71D41D644.jpeg

446A3426-88CB-4DCD-B695-4390A9A7BE73.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

Maybe a hand held hair dryer would soften the vinyl . I would say a heat gun , but that maybe too hot. 

• Thanks 1

Chris G

I know they make some vinyl cleaners and preservers for marine / boat seats. Or maybe try  elephant wax. I have used that on old leather seats and that preserves them well and you may be able to use that on vinyl. Not exactly sure on that though.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

You’ve got that old RJ lookin’ good!  What about a pool patch on the back of the seat cover, as to not have extra stitching around?

• Excellent 1

71_Bronco

Nice updates so far. I like the idea about the exhaust flange, good idea in case you need / want to change it later.

• Thanks 1

19richie66

Dell, try some 303 marine protectant. Soak it down and lay it in the sun for a little bit. I use the stuff and love it. Not greasy and really works great. Ain’t cheap though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ACman

Like the exhaust flange :handgestures-thumbupright: . Coming along nicely Dells 

• Like 1

dells68

Between  making molasses with our local tractor club and taking Emory to a movie I found time to clear the seat I bought off of EBay.  Look at the thin paint in front of each hole.  It’s original paint.  I bet they were dipped in white and hung up to dry looking at the paint distribution.  Couldn’t bring myself to hide that patina, almost hate to cover it with my cover that came with it.  @pullstart I took your advice and ordered some pool patches for the back of the tears in the cover. Gotta run!!!

9B65D45B-2EAE-4C6F-A362-E45149F4CC67.jpeg

Edited by dells68
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart

Molasses?  Woo hoo!  My buddy and I just marked out his woods so we can get (back) into making syrup come late winter!  

• Like 1

dells68

Well, I got a little further along over the last few days.  I painted the rims black, painted the tires with Miller tire paint, and repaired the seat with pool patches as suggested by @pullstart.  I still need to get some good foam for the seat padding.  I hope to button most of it up this week and hopefully get to drive it this coming weekend.

E8C415AD-9DE7-4523-8843-C991B7B0E399.jpeg

50F6968C-E8F1-495D-9A3B-0817EB368DC4.jpeg

BEA55189-3370-4962-8F9C-59B2AD4D1333.jpeg

4CF47396-072C-4AEF-894C-46EBA6CDADAF.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Lookin’ good!

AlexR

:wh: Looks really Cool!

• Thanks 1

Chris G

Looks really sharp!!! Great job

• Thanks 1

19richie66

Looks awesome Dell!

• Thanks 1

rjg854

Sweet :text-bravo:

• Thanks 1

stevebo

Almost an exact match to mine...

2A1EC04A-89B1-4063-87F2-E81BC3AF2D87.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

dells68
34 minutes ago, stevebo said:

Almost an exact match to mine...

2A1EC04A-89B1-4063-87F2-E81BC3AF2D87.jpeg

I’ll take that as a complement @stevebo!  I loved the look of yours at the show and took a lot of cues from you.  The one thing I did keep was the original rear tires.  I had even bought a nice set of ags for it, but couldn’t bring myself to change them.  The tires are off of the front of Emory’s 400.  That was the first horse we bought and I knew I was going to need those tires at some point.  I’m pretty happy with how it turned out.  Purrs like a kitten!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

dells68

I was able to get a few pics of the ole girl yesterday.  I rode it around a little in Dad’s field.  There’s a video link as well and you can hear the trans making a little noise.  I’ve since added a little more trans fluid - about 1 1/4 quarts total and hope that helps with the noise some.  It does seem to be getting less the more I drive it.  It has plenty of power and surprised me how light it is in the front compared to Emory’s suburbans.  By the way, I’ve posted a wanted ad for an rj or suburban to fix up for Emory for Christmas.  He asked me to redo his work horse, but he has really been wanting an rj or another suburban.   I wouldn’t mind driving 5 or 6 hours each way if anybody might have one they’d like to part with.

F1CEDFAB-A472-48A5-87D4-FA403624A15A.jpeg

FE874A17-246E-412C-9E9C-97F665EB578D.jpeg

1313E25B-9C61-44F1-9E00-7A9F9AC8E446.jpeg

8B2EA026-1033-4F6E-83A5-E71FEAED6BF3.jpeg

C29FBB7D-4AE3-4078-9F6E-FD509A1C3D3D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

rjg854

Nice looking little tractor,  bet it's a blast to putt around on. :razz:

• Thanks 1

Chris G

That really turned out Nice! Did a real good job on that one for sure.

• Thanks 1