dells68

Big Show rj build

AMC RULES

Black the wheels, and match the engine, looks quite good too.

Never have been a fan of them :wh: white accents...but, that's just me.

• Thanks 1

AMC RULES

Back in the day, member KenB here had a hot little custom Suburban, with blacked out wheels, and engine...was quite the looker. Not sure, might be in Stevebo's collection now.

• Like 2

Pullstart

I think the only thing it needs is you and Emory cruising around on it!  No matter what, I’m sure it’s gonna look great.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

dells68

Thanks Kevin.  To have had such a hard life, it’s turning out ok.  I look forward to taking my first cruise on it!  Giving it a second chance at life I suppose.

• Excellent 1

WHX??
6 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Never have been a fan of them :wh: white accents...

I best just come get all your white wheel tractors then....:lol:

• Haha 1

AMC RULES

Better hurry Jimbo, only have one set left...and their days are numbered.

• Haha 2

dells68

Well, I just pulled the tins from another original k91 I have.  Seems even my own family likes the idea of a patina motor too. Going to the garage to clean them up and work on the block.  Pics later tonight.

• Like 4

19richie66

Whatever you come up with, I’m sure it will look good. Thanks 👍

• Like 2

dells68

Just scuffed the original tins, painted the block, and shot the first coat of clear.   Bought the cylinder surround piece to put on Emory’s k91 that I robbed these pieces from, just waiting on it to get here.  Don’t worry, I’m giving him the white set!

971525DC-1AFF-4CEE-9D49-359AFA57764B.jpeg

57A5A13D-605F-4DE4-8C84-4D82AE420002.jpeg

BB105C76-85DE-43FE-8193-E97517B18618.jpeg

A7C0D24C-1AF7-4EFF-9462-F2BFDA38C614.jpeg

AC49E8B4-FBC5-43D7-991E-F1FC3B33DE9F.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

WHX??

Lookin nice Dells but I still want you to come over and help organize  @Achto's garage!

• Haha 3

dells68
1 minute ago, WHX21 said:

Lookin nice Dells but I still want you to come over and help organize  @Achto's garage!

As anal as I am about organization, Dan would be too overwhelmed by my system😂.  If I ever clean out, there might be a complete horse hiding in there somewhere!

• Haha 4

WHX??

Got that right! ...Not sure if I like the way you are going on the finnished tractor but if it works for you ..works for me! :)

• Thanks 1

dells68

That’s what makes this hobby great, we all do it our own way!  Didn’t somebody sing about that😉?!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Achto
9 hours ago, dells68 said:

As anal as I am about organization, Dan would be too overwhelmed by my system😂.  If I ever clean out, there might be a complete horse hiding in there somewhere!

I keep telling Jim @WHX21 that creative minds work best in "organized chaos". :D Although my shop has gotten out of hand, currently you have to back in if you want walk out.:lol:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, dells68 said:

Didn’t somebody sing about that😉?!

Ol Blue Eyes did.

• Like 1

Pullstart
10 hours ago, dells68 said:

That’s what makes this hobby great, we all do it our own way!  Didn’t somebody sing about that😉?!

26 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Ol Blue Eyes did.

I think The Rolling Stones did too?

@WHX21 can’t always get what he wants.

But if he’d just try some time, he just might find, he gets to change his X number!  Oooooohhhh!!!

• Haha 4

dells68

Well, at 11:34 I just took pics of what my engine looks like with a patina look.  What do you think guys?  Much better I think!!

07DAAABF-0104-4100-B4E7-577EF3A244F7.jpeg

A7F364F2-614D-470B-BAAB-47D8447A21B5.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Very nice, so much better.

• Thanks 1

rjg854

yeah, it does look really good like that :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

19richie66

I like it a lot! 

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Can’t tell it’s the same block!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ACman

Very nice Dells...I’ll be watching this thread from here on out :popcorn:. Been just kinda checking in lately . Still here and still :wh:family!

You made the right choice with the engine tins and I agree with painting the other parts black. Love your belt guard looks more original than the other repop. One tool everyone should have if drilling holes in sheet metal is a Unibit . https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-Core-Titanium-Step-Drill-Bit-Set-5-Piece-with-Storage-Case-33148/302972677?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D25T|25-7_POWER+TOOL+ACCESSORIES|NA|PLA|71700000034127227|58700003933021549|92700031755124913&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI29rzs-iS3gIVjrbACh0UYw5REAQYFCABEgI7WPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CPOHqf7okt4CFQhIAQodvTgHYQ

makes life easier.

Edited by ACman
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68

Ok, another question.  What are these front rims from?  I’ve never seen a set with rolled lips and 3 holes on a horse.  Well, that’s a little lie, I have one similar on the front of my 701.  Are they wheel horse or something else?  If something else, I might consider putting a newer narrower set on with a set of new tires to give it an older look.  What do you think?  Don’t I recall that some of the early rj35’s had a narrower front rim?  I know I’d never find a set of those, but I could get a skinnier set to give me that look.

7A98D4AB-06D0-435A-BCBB-579EDCF8571D.jpeg

Chris G

The engine looks great. And as far as the rims go I have a set like that on the front of a suburban and another round hood. One set I drilled and the other was drilled by previous owner. The rims had one hole factory and would not line up for use of wheel weight. So 2 new holes were drilled for front wheel weights. Not sure if that's the case for yours, but that's why mine have 3 holes.

• Thanks 1

dells68

Ok, next hurdle.  I got an engine pulley off of a k91 I used to have.  Well, it’s 2 3/4” outside diameter and a 29” belt appears too short and my belt guard doesn’t fit over the pulley.  I’ve about decided I’ve got too large of an engine pulley.  What size should the engine pulley be on a rj58?  Any help @stevebo or @VinsRJ?  Help!!!!!!  So close, but it’s the little things that keep biting me!.

• Like 1