dells68

Big Show rj build

WHX??
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:13 AM, pullstart said:

but no sound advice unless you want me to show you how to pack a truck bed......

This is where you throw up a pic Kev....go ahead Dells has got a a heck of a sense of humor!

Edited by WHX20
  • Haha 3

dells68

Had about an hour or so after mowing the yard this afternoon, so I decided to mess with the bull gear and worn axle key hole.  Welded them up best I could.  Welding cast is not my thing.  The axle was easier.  I've still got to clean up the gear a little with my dremmel.  Think it will be ok?

818AB4F6-9320-4DDA-ABDA-552C94355E20.jpeg

2EB9842F-3CE5-4B2D-9989-34B73265310A.jpeg

6BA48534-3DC3-4D81-BB9D-666211F5E403.jpeg

• Like 8

AMC RULES

:handgestures-thumbsup: Small application of JB weld...

should take any remaining wobble outta that keyway now Dells. 

• Thanks 1

dells68

Worked on my tranny a little more today.  I pulled the differential apart and installed and honed a set of Lowell's bushings.  Went well.  Pulled all of the old seals and got the axle bushings in and honed.  Checked the bearings and oops!  All three s8k bearings were full of crud and stuck.  Managed to clean one of them up.  The other three were good thank goodness!  Managed to find two replacements on fleabay.  This thing has had some serious abuse and corrosion inside.  Check out the spider gears and the corrosion on them.  Guess I've slowed down till next weekend when my bearings come in.

AA400CCB-1B0D-4D4D-8D10-4F536EE3CA87.jpeg

478B64A1-1F7D-4B48-967B-D0C8C4EBF590.jpeg

C270D44E-BAF5-4CF8-B73D-5BE83930BAF8.jpeg

• Like 3

dells68

Pic of a couple of the gears and their damage.  This thing must have had water in it for a long time!

85EA8FA1-89B7-4CD8-99C4-5DA14AA4C883.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

stevasaurus

The camera makes all defects look worse.  Nothing wrong with those gears, and I think you are OK with that bull gear weld job.  :occasion-xmas:  I think you may need to hone out that bronze bearing...you want a loose fit...not snug.  If it is snug, when you tighten the case bolts, you may bind up the trans.  :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68

Thanks @stevasaurus.  I honed them till they move pretty smoothly on the trans sides.  The part they slide onto is worn pretty good (deep grooves) and I plan on hitting them with some 220 to smooth them out and I hope that will leave me with enough play.  I've opened other transmissions on Emory's suburbans and was able to get by with using the original bronze bushings in the differential, but these were worn way too thin.  I really appreciate your help and knowledge and following along to keep me straight - Lord knows someone needs to!😂

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Now that I know what you have going...I will help when I can and keep an eye out.  Signal me if you need anything quick.  :)  Keep the good pictures coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68
4 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Now that I know what you have going...I will help when I can and keep an eye out.  Signal me if you need anything quick.  :)  Keep the good pictures coming.

Will do.  I've rebushed and put seals in two of the suburban 3 piece transmissions, but have never had to go this deep into one.  Guess there's a time to learn and just be thankful for the help we have here! What would we all do if we didn't have each other to lean on?

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

rjg854

:text-yeahthat:. THIS IS THE PROPER PLACE FOR ANYTHING WHEEL HORSE  :woohoo:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

dells68

I decided to get out the little K91 that i got from @BOB ELLISON at the Big Show.  I really can't believe how smooth this little guy runs.  I can't wait to get it on the rj.  I've got one of Jake's @Jake Kuhn Recoils for it.  What do you think about the finish for the engine?  Leave it white with the nice recoil on it?  Paint the engine to match the recoil?  Im not sure.  Oh well, here's a video of it running to get your juices flowing😉.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

rjg854

Sure do sound nice :D

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

@dells68 I glad you like it. I know it ran sweet for me but I don't have anything to use it in. It idles as good as my c160.

I would repaint it red like the recoil. 

Just don't paint it green or I'll come get it back. Haha

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, BOB ELLISON said:

don't paint it green or

..... You're going to need an intervention

• Excellent 1

dells68

Well, thanks to Florence, I finally found a few minutes to work on the rj transmission.  After about 2 hrs in the garage I have a working trans again.  Check out the machining on the differential and how out of spec it is.  Its got new bearings, new bushings, gaskets, and soon new shaft and axle seals.  Heaven knows when I'll get back to it again after tomorrow night. I'll update you guys when I do get another chance to work.  By the way don't be jealous of my spotless, pristine workspace😂.

7F6270B8-8011-4726-9D96-5114203A4486.jpeg

3156E4B6-DD6E-4C4D-9592-8C4F3DCA2CE1.jpeg

E87BB7AB-AC30-403C-AB03-34FCA5A9CE19.jpeg

CA6C679C-8DE4-4803-9603-7089E2E85D7D.jpeg

• Like 5

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, dells68 said:

don't be jealous of my spotless, pristine workspace😂.

Too late.

:lol:

Good to hear you had a couple of minutes to work on the RJ...

Keep us posted.

• Haha 1

Chris G

Glad to see you got some more time in on the rj. Also I would say leave the engine white if the machine is gonna keep its patina. These are 2 of my suburbans that i had put white engines on.

20180402_134931.jpg

20170608_095432.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

Pullstart

That’s a crazy casting center!  Maybe it’s a counter balance for something!  :D

• Haha 1

dells68

Well, I got a little more time to mess with the rj.  I added a little red to the patina and wiped it with lacquer thinner and sanded with fine paper before clearing.  I cleaned the engine with a little laquer thinner and the white pops.  I tried the schnacke that I got from @Jake Kuhn, and loosely fitted my homemade belt guard, hood, and fenders to see how it will look.  So far I’m pretty happy with how it looks and I’m thinking of clearing the engine to preserve that earned patina on the white.  What do you guys think?  Please ignore the mess in the garage!

CFC5427B-BC56-4B73-A130-D6CE3C7E2C7F.jpeg

26046F3D-3EEB-4A72-9494-01B527448406.jpeg

961A39CF-BC8D-406C-B0BB-24C1209B8E7C.jpeg

94F20756-1665-4A98-A12B-7EFF5289FE78.jpeg

BE0A450D-5B0C-4A19-B2E7-F5FF2AABED64.jpeg

1DCD9C5B-2323-417E-B287-2FFF30C7EE3E.jpeg

• Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

Chris G

It's looking great! The belt guard came out amazing and I would say a little clear on the motor, just to keep a even shine across the whole machine. But great job so far. It's really coming out nicely 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

:text-yeahthat:

• Thanks 1

stevebo

You did such a nice job with paint and distressing to patin look that you should keep going on the wnginw😳. You may be able to find a set of patina tins so you would only have to paint the block. I know it is more work but I think it would finish the project well. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

71_Bronco

Looks great so far, love the patina look.

I personally like the white motor with the white wheels, gives a little contrast and doesnt look so monochromatic.

• Thanks 1

dells68

Ok @71_Bronco, you’ve opened up another can of worms.  I kind of like the white on the motor too, but I don’t know what to do with the wheels.  I’ve considered painting them white,  but then I like the black that @stevebo does too.  If I stay with white wheels, I might leave the motor white, but black wheels would need a patina motor.  I do have another original patina k91 that I could trade the tins for if I go that route.  I would use that motor, but it needs a rebuild first.  Also, white wheels, white seat.  Black wheels, black seat.

• Confused 2

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, dells68 said:

Also, white wheels, white seat.  Black wheels, black seat.

don't you wish more decisions in life were just black or white with no gray area

Hahaha

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2