muz123

520H Speed adjustment forward/reverse

muz123

On my 1988 520H adjusting the speed forward/reverse seems to be giving me trouble. When i try to adjust it to make it go forward faster it does not want to. Only wants to go fast in reverse. Any ideas on the proper way to adjust forward and reverse for maximum speed? Any amount of turns needed? 

Thanks,

Dave 

8388C4EF-05E8-412B-AF43-0D63E26DC2EE.jpeg.5e76688ec41bdd928699ab0a665c53e6.jpeg

Edited by muz123

doc724

Dave, here is how I did my 5xi.  Jack up the tractor so both wheels are off the ground.  With the selector in neutral, start the tractor and let it warm up.  Once warm, there should be no movement of the wheels, either forward or backward.  Loosen the hex bolt that goes thru the bigger hex cam.  Turn the cam one way or another until the wheels stop moving.  Tighten down the hex bolt.  What you are doing is adjusting neutral creep.  When neutral creep is zero, the forward and reverse speed should be at factory spec.  My 5xi would only do 5-5.5 in forward.  After I set neutral creep, it was back to 7.5, factory spec.  How do I know?  I went for a ride on the tractor, holding with my bicycle garmin in my hand.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H
3 hours ago, muz123 said:

On my 1988 520H adjusting the speed forward/reverse seems to be giving me trouble. When i try to adjust it to make it go forward faster it does not want to. Only wants to go fast in reverse. Any ideas on the proper way to adjust forward and reverse for maximum speed? Any amount of turns needed? 

Thanks,

Dave 

8388C4EF-05E8-412B-AF43-0D63E26DC2EE.jpeg.5e76688ec41bdd928699ab0a665c53e6.jpeg

Under the big hex is and eccentric, that eccentric and cam plate are most likely worn after 30 years, but what I normally do is loosen the set screw/bolt that holds the big hex the move the shifter all the way forward and then slowly turn the big hex to make sure it fully seats in the cam plate then tighten it down, then move shifter to reverse to see if eccentric is fully seated in cam plate, if not now's the time to start adjusting the linkages from the shifter to the cam plate until you get full range of motion through the eccentric and cam plate and fast forward speed, Jeff.

IMAG2022.jpg

IMAG2067.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor

Just so you know, that large greasy washer is a friction washer and there is one below as well.  You need to take the whole mess apart, sand the washer faces and completely clean the parts, then reassemble completely dry.  The locking nut is then adjusted so that there is some force to move the lever.  The purpose of this is to keep the speed control steady without holding the lever.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

muz123
3 hours ago, doc724 said:

Dave, here is how I did my 5xi.  Jack up the tractor so both wheels are off the ground.  With the selector in neutral, start the tractor and let it warm up.  Once warm, there should be no movement of the wheels, either forward or backward.  Loosen the hex bolt that goes thru the bigger hex cam.  Turn the cam one way or another until the wheels stop moving.  Tighten down the hex bolt.  What you are doing is adjusting neutral creep.  When neutral creep is zero, the forward and reverse speed should be at factory spec.  My 5xi would only do 5-5.5 in forward.  After I set neutral creep, it was back to 7.5, factory spec.  How do I know?  I went for a ride on the tractor, holding with my bicycle garmin in my hand.

I am going to give this a try tommorow and see how it works out. My 520 when it is in neutral moves slightly and think your idea will fix it.  Will keep updated. 

Thanks!!

muz123
1 hour ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Under the big hex is and eccentric, that eccentric and cam plate are most likely worn after 30 years, but what I normally do is loosen the set screw/bolt that holds the big hex the move the shifter all the way forward and then slowly turn the big hex to make sure it fully seats in the cam plate then tighten it down, then move shifter to reverse to see if eccentric is fully seated in cam plate, if not now's the time to start adjusting the linkages from the shifter to the cam plate until you get full range of motion through the eccentric and cam plate and fast forward speed, Jeff.

IMAG2022.jpg

IMAG2067.jpg

Going to check the linkages from the shifter to the cam plate. Could also be my problem. I will see after i try Jeffs idea first.

Thanks!