Oliver138

C-160 Auto Dies When Mowing, Then Won't Start without Jumping Solenoid

Tuneup

Funny that a plug would not fire in that low compression engine. I'm fairly biased on plug brand and heat range as a result of owning an older  Japanese air/oil cooled motorcycle (99 1200 Bandit). Careful choice made all the difference. I guess plug choice is always a first consideration and a cheap way to resolve for one variable. Glad for you!

pfrederi

I will not use Champions after having the same issue a few years ago

ebinmaine
25 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I will not use Champions after having the same issue a few years ago

I've been using champions in my small engines for a couple years now but they don't seem to last very long.

20 years ago I was a non wavering fan of AC Delco plugs. Don't know if they do anything small engine.

What do you use?

Oliver138
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I've been using champions in my small engines for a couple years now but they don't seem to last very long.

20 years ago I was a non wavering fan of AC Delco plugs. Don't know if they do anything small engine.

What do you use?

Well I got the tractor last year and it had an Autolite plug in it. While trouble shooting in June, I replaced it with an AC Delco plug. Since the plug turned out not to be the issue in June, I actually put the 'original' Autolite plug back in yesterday to replace the new AC Delco.

I would like to get a back-up plug to have laying around now, but am not sure what to get. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but could there have been something else going on that would have ruined the new plug?   

ebinmaine

I'm only taking an educated guess here. Maybe a weak coil not throwing enough voltage?. I'm not sure what would cause premature spark plug failure other than a bad spark plug itself.

Oliver138

I felt the same way, @ebinmaine. It's possible the coil isn't giving the proper voltage, but I almost doubt it. Regardless, when I get to re-wiring I plan to replace the coil.

ebinmaine
Just now, Oliver138 said:

I felt the same way, @ebinmaine. It's possible the coil isn't giving the proper voltage, but I almost doubt it. Regardless, when I get to re-wiring I plan to replace the coil.

if you already have one laying around that's one thing but if you have to spend the money on a new coil it would probably be wise to try to test that one somehow first.

• Like 1

boovuc

My 2 cents on Kohler points/condenser engines is...........change the condenser out. (Cheap). You may want to look at the points too. I've had some old sets heat up after awhile and give me all kinds of issues but the condenser, depending on ambient temps can do some really funky stuff. Great one day and shutting it down the next.

• Like 1

Oliver138

Thanks, boovuc - where can I get a new condenser? I'm not all the familiar with them, so are they relatively universal or are they engine specific?

If I continue to have problems, that will be the next thing I look into.

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Oliver138 said:

where can I get a new condenser

PM sent

Mike'sHorseBarn
4 minutes ago, Oliver138 said:

where can I get a new condenser?

A condenser for any K series engine will work. You can get them on the internet or some auto parts stores have them. If you have a napa nearby I know they can get them for you.

Mike