Sign in to follow this  
BMW1

D180 engine replacement with K582

BMW1

Can a Kohler 482 be replaced with a Kohler K582S, spec 36337(that's all I can read from the spec# - looks like serial# is 23055F030) in a D180 without any modifications?

The K582S runs and comes with a  K532QS spec 53131a as a parts engine for $800.

I'm still new to this hobby - what would it approximately cost to have the existing K482 rebuilt -runs but smokes bad.  At this point in my hobby, I would most likely have to take it somewhere to have the work done, unless a local fellow member would help me with the rebuild.  I do want to learn!

Thoughts on the $800 for two motors - provided it can replace the K482.

Thanks.

pfrederi

From Kohler service manual

But the big issue may be the crank shaft.  Different spec motor have different length an even diameter cranks depending on what the customer wanted.  You would have to measure

k532.JPG

• Like 1

pacer

I believe it will cross over, but a check on the crankshaft as suggested would be wise.

On rebuilding this type engine, one major problem can arise - the rods are/can be a problem. Someone here on the forum recently had a post on a full rebuilding a 482. Might do a search for that or maybe he'll see this post....

You could come close to the $800 on having some one do the rebuild... would depend on what it needs?? I bought a D200 with a terrible smoking K532 but on tear down and all it needed was rings! 

The $800 is a bit steep and without hearing/seeing it run??? maybe $400-500???

• Like 1

BMW1

Thanks.  Appreciate the responses.