edgro

16hp Briggs misses and dies after an hour or so

edgro

I have a 16hp briggs from a workhorse 1600 in my 414-8. mowed good all last year. This year it runs fine for about an hour,then sputters or misses, and yesterday mowing it actually died and would not restart right away. after sitting for a few hours, it started, still missing, but enough to drive back to the garage. So far I have changed the spark plugs with no difference. Any suggestions or similar problems that may be helpful to fix this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sarge

Sounds like the ignition coil could be starting to fail - breaking down internally. Look into the Briggs twin cylinder manual for the engine for the test procedures - may have to check it both cold and hot to get a result.

Sarge

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Click on the picture

Garry

moe1965

I had a mechanical fuel pump act like that. Not quite sure the reason it doesn't make sense to me but I put a eletric pump on it and it has been running fine.  Check that your gas cap is not plugged first

MS GENERAL REPAIR

Make sure all of your cooling fins are clear of debris. Excessive heat can cause ignition problems, carburetor problems, valve problems. 

BESTDOGEVER

If you have a spark tester check it as soon as it goes down it will not show spark until it cools down if the module is going bad if you have spark it is a fuel problem. That is almost textbook Briggs module symptoms 

edgro

Thanks for all input, hope to have time to work on it this week. Coil is cheap enough I'm most likely going to replace it due to old age

edgro

I finally got the coil changed, and this made no difference. I'm thinking fuel problem, because now I noted when it dies out, if you wait a few minutes, it will restart and sputter and I made it back to the garage like this, dying out every 50 feet or so

953 nut
3 minutes ago, edgro said:

fuel problem, because now I noted when it dies out, if you wait a few minutes, it will restart and sputter and I made it back to the garage like this, dying out every 50 feet or so

On 6/24/2018 at 5:00 PM, moe1965 said:

Check that your gas cap is not plugged first

I think @moe1965 gave you the answer a couple months back. If the vent in the fuel cap is plugged the fuel tank will develop a slight vacuum as fuel is removed by the fuel pump. After some time the vacuum will become to great for the fuel pump to overcome and fuel starvation occurs.

edgro

Now that makes sense, sometime this year I put a different gas cap on it because the old one wasn't screwing down all the way. Go figure. Will change cap and mow this weekend and see what happens

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

edgro

Gas cap didn't help, rebuilt carb and fuel pump, that didn't help. Finally found the screen on the gas tank shutoff valve was plugged. replaced this with a valve without the screen, and then added an inline filter just past the valve. Finally had some decent weekend weather yesterday, and ran the tractor, it ran fine.

• Like 2

C160

can you tell if its backfiring through carb or exhaust? could be valves are leaking after it warms up. When it happens see if you can jump a large gap with a tester. 

edgro

After I replaced the plugged fuel fitting on the  tank, it seems to be running OK, however when you shut if off from full RPM, sometimes it will have one loud backfire thru the exhaust. Not sure what that's all about, but it doesn't do it when shut off from idle.. Raked leaves last weekend with the sweeper, and it ran good. Now we have snow on the ground YEAH. Need to get plow tractor out, so this one may be parked until next spring

cleat

I never, ever shut down an engine at full throttle.

It will continue to suck in fuel as it dies and spit that out into the hot muffler.

Then you can get the dreaded bang from the muffler, it can actually split the muffler.

The Cub Cadet at work gets shut down by the operators at full throttle all the time and of course it backfires.

It now runs quite loud. I imagine the muffler is destroyed.

Cleat

• Like 1

lynnmor

Always, always slow down any gasoline engine to idle before turning off the ignition.  Even if you have no backfire, that unburned gasoline will wash cylinder walls and find its way into the oil.

• Like 1