ebinmaine

Can I just heat shrink this wire to save it?

ebinmaine

Look at the used to be red wire on the left and you'll see a bunch of frayed rope looking stuff. I'm wondering if I can just snap the end off and slide a piece of heat shrink down over it and then re-terminal the end.

Can't see why I can't do that. Just wanted to run it by you folks....

IMG_20180620_200115336.jpg.cc39d4b705642f542b35f086da247c5f.jpg

• Like 1

Cvans

If it were me I'd try it but find some way to keep it away from those fins. 

McGrew

It might work for for a while, but those frayed wires will increase the resistance of that wire, and will heat up at that point.  If it were mine, and replacing the entire wire is not an option, I would cut out the bad section and solder in a new section.

• Like 2

Racinbob

It would probably be fine but I'd suggest replacing the wire, The frayed look is just the insulation but you do need to get it away from the heat. Ya gotta cut the wire to get the shrink wrap on it so why not just replace it? :)

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, Cvans said:

If it were me I'd try it but find some way to keep it away from those fins. 

Yeah, sure will.

That's the mag wire so I don't know where it should sit but I'll double triple check it.

5 hours ago, McGrew said:

out the bad section and solder in a new section.

I've got crimping down to a science and always use good quality connectors with heat shrink ends.

I haven't tried to solder a wire.

Maybe a bout time I learned...

4 hours ago, Racinbob said:

It would probably be fine but I'd suggest replacing the wire, The frayed look is just the insulation but you do need to get it away from the heat. Ya gotta cut the wire to get the shrink wrap on it so why not just replace it? :)

I'll take another look at it sometime.

I'm not sure there's enough wire out to cut/replace without removing the flywheel which I do NOT want to do.

But... Valid point... That piece does need to go.

Sarge

I mostly buy non-insulated terminals and dual wall shrink boot w/adhesive - that is how I've done 95% of the wiring jobs the last 30yrs or so. Much simpler to crimp a wire, fire up the mini butane torch and use some good quality rosin core solder to flow out the connection - plus, it prevents corrosion later in the copper joint. Learned the hard working on big rigs and trailers that non-soldered connections will fail in a fairly short time, regardless of shrink boot or none, if moisture can get to the connection point, it's over. While hot, I also dip the connector in a tub of NoOx, it will flow into and protect any type of terminal used on our equipment. I've had the connection tabs rot clean off of lights but the terminal part will not fail - the stuff really makes a difference. You can use the black dielectric grease from auto/hardware stores, it's not quite as good but NoOx is very tough to find/buy.

Sarge