Buzz

Do any of the major automotive stores sell tire paint?

WHNJ701

I assume you mean black, I have redone several tractors and never once painted any tires, spray them with purple power with a scrub brush, hose off and dry, and use meguairs tire shine.

the painted tires I have seen looked terrible and flake off

wallfish

Go to Miller tire on epay and or search tire black.

It mixes with water so just a small amount goes a LONG way. Seems they only sell the Qt size so hope you have a long life Buzz! Not just for painting all those tires but so you can make it to all the big PA shows! You can adjust the color by how much water is added so best to test on an old car tire first to get the look you prefer. More water makes it grey out some which I prefer. It doesn't leave that shiney Armorall look either, just flat black. Never once had it peel or flake since it soaks into the tire, not cover it. Over 6 years on there. I certainly was not a believer until I tried it because someone gave me a 1/2 pint of it.

I've had the wife give me crap twice because she thought I bought new tires.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

stevebo
14 minutes ago, wallfish said:

It mixes with water so just a small amount goes a LONG way. Seems they only sell the Qt size so hope you have a long life Buzz! Not just for painting all those tires but so you can make it to all the big PA shows! You can adjust the color by how much water is added so best to test on an old car tire first to get the look you prefer. More water makes it grey out some which I prefer. It doesn't leave that shiney Armorall look either, just flat black. Never once had it peel or flake since it soaks into the tire, not cover it. Over 6 years on there. I certainly was not a believer until I tried it because someone gave me a 1/2 pint of it.

John,

The last one that I bought was pre mixed and IMO is not thick enough. I did not see any options for the older style you are talking about where you can mix with water to thin out. 

giddyap
3 minutes ago, wallfish said:

I didn't know "Tire Black" was still available. It's like ink, you don't want to get it on your skin. I think rubbing it on with a cloth is better than a paintbrush. It must have been the 60s when I last used it.  

stevebo

Miller's is water based and comes off with hand cleaner pretty easy. 

giddyap

DuPont 7 Tire Black
This is what I used in the 60s. from Old Garage Memorabilia

Zeek
55 minutes ago, wallfish said:

:text-yeahthat:I use this as well and thin it out as stated above. I have had mine a while so I'm not sure if the newer stuff from them is thinned. I can tell you latex paint thinned does the same thing . . . after smelling the Miller paint, I did an experiment with a can of flat latex I had around. I thinned them about the same and painted a spare and let it sit outside for months. No difference in looks in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

rmaynard

I use black satin latex paint from Home Depot. Thin it to whatever consistency you like. The easiest way to get in all tread grooves is to use a paint sprayer like a Wagners airless.

Easy clean-up with soap and water.

Edited by rmaynard
add link