TC10284

314-8 Tail lights and safety lights not working

TC10284

I have a late 1999/early 2000 model Wheel Horse 314-8. Model 73449 and serial number 200000217.

Recently got it running. Everything is working great on it. Although the taillights don't work. I've tried new bulbs for the taillights and that doesn't seem to fix it. The wires look intact as far as I can tell but I haven't dug into it too deep yet. Also, I can't seem to get the safety lights on the dash to work. Such as if I use a key and turn the reverse mowing switch or try to start it with the PTO engaged. 

Any ideas on where to start for this?   

SylvanLakeWH

Check the fuses and the switch.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

If the headlamps work and the tail lights don't the problem is wiring between the two, tail light grounds or tail light bulbs.

Turn key to RUN position and do not start engine.

If the voltmeter works the oil light circuit should be powered and the oil light should be on if the bulb is good and the oil pressure switch is good.

Remove the wire from the oil pressure switch on the engine and the hour meter should run. Oil light if good will be on but too dim to see.

Ground the oil pressure switch wire to the chassis metal or battery negative - that should put the oil light on bright and the hour meter should not work.

Pause between tests to give the hour meter time to discharge and stop. Some are wound up enough to run for say 15 seconds before the next pulse winds it again for another 15 seconds.

I have not figured out what bulb is used. It may be an LED.

Added the electrical schematic below because the one in the detailed wiring provided in an earlier thread has this one split on 2 pages and hard to follow.

Garry

Tractor 2000 73449 Wiring-1.jpg

Indicator Light 95-7652.jpg

• Like 1

rmaynard

I would suggest downloading and reading the electrical demystification guide from our manuals/files section. Find your model and year, then look at all the possible diagrams that are related to the taillights and safeties.

TC10284

Update:

I was able to get one of the taillights working. I found a new base, connected it up and it lit up fine. On the other one, I have to pull the bulb slightly upward to get it to light up. But as soon as I let off, it goes out again. So I'm guessing I need one more new base. 

Toro Part # 105202

I still can't get the safety lights to work. I've tried starting it with the PTO engaged. It doesn't start, but the safety light does nothing. 

gwest_ca

You can remove the circuit board from the tractor and it will not affect the operation of it. You may find problems with it that SOI went into great detail to rectify. A search of the past electrical posts should bring them up.

Garry

TC10284

"SOI"?

gwest_ca

SOI was a members identity - Save Old Iron

Have not heard from him for a while and miss his approach to everything electrical.

Garry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

doc724

I had a similar problem with the tail lights on my 1998 314-8.  The tail lights sockets are crap.  any moisture gets in there and they corrode.   You can buy LED tail light assemblies for about $5 at superbriteleds.com.  Look for M9x4 part number.  They are a drop in replacement.  Just remember that LED's are diodes and +12V has to be applied on the correct wire.  Also, you will have to ground the other wire to the seat pan using a star washer to bite thru the paint

TC10284

1 hour ago, doc724 said:

I had a similar problem with the tail lights on my 1998 314-8.  The tail lights sockets are crap.  any moisture gets in there and they corrode.   You can buy LED tail light assemblies for about $5 at superbriteleds.com.  Look for M9x4 part number.  They are a drop in replacement.  Just remember that LED's are diodes and +12V has to be applied on the correct wire.  Also, you will have to ground the other wire to the seat pan using a star washer to bite thru the paint

Nice! I've been wanting some replacement LED lights for mine but haven't taken the time to look or ask yet. I may be getting some now. 

Do they make any for the headlights? 

doc724
10 hours ago, TC10284 said:

Nice! I've been wanting some replacement LED lights for mine but haven't taken the time to look or ask yet. I may be getting some now. 

Do they make any for the headlights? 

I have not looked, but somewhere on RS, I do remember someone finding them and making an adapter so they could mount behind the st'd WH bezels

TC10284
On 6/24/2018 at 9:05 PM, doc724 said:

I have not looked, but somewhere on RS, I do remember someone finding them and making an adapter so they could mount behind the st'd WH bezels

These are a drop in replacement for mine:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078JKH86R/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just look up "PAR36 led" on Amazon or elsewhere. I can take pics if anyone wants them. 

Edited by TC10284