kainesdad

Identifying my horse

kainesdad

I was told it's a 1968 Wheel Horse but that's it it has an 8 horse Kohler k181s spec number 30198d. Serial number a 119296. The model number on the tractor is I 3715 or 45 it's very hard to make out the model number Tag. The serial number is 554063. Has three forward gears One reverse, and I just need some help so I can order a few parts

1528402006397459778956.jpg

1528402039930598209714.jpg

15284020715241896007938.jpg

• Like 5

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum. Added your serial number to the list where it seems to fit. Click on the picture.

Garry

stevasaurus

I think Garry is right on.  1969 Workhorse 700  model 1-3745.  It originally came with a Tecumseh H70, but I would keep the Kohler at this point.  Nice PBR can on the floor.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

:text-coolphotos:                          As you probably know your :wh: left the factory with a Tecumseh 7 HP pull start. I think the upgrade to a Kohler is a big improvement.

• Like 1

kainesdad

Yeah after downloading that file you suggested I also downloaded the chart years file and realize that things were not matching up and I'd have to agree it is not the original motor so the purpose of this supposed to begin with was putting a new ignition in needing a wiring diagram correct one for this Heinz 57

Vinylguy

Welcome to the forum Kainesdad and Thank You for your service.

These guys will help you with any and all questions that may come up about your horse.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

It looks like you have the typical Kohler that has the starter/generator.  It should not take much to make it a key start.  Have you had it running??  :)

gwest_ca

Here is a parts list for your engine. Wanted to see if the battery ignition was original and it is.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/kohler-engines/engines-horizontal/k181-30198-kohler-k181-engine-k-series-john-deere-8hp-6kw-specs-30100-30848/

The original Techumseh with magneto used an ignition switch that was heavy enough to handle the high starter current without a solenoid.

The same switch for battery ignition is 7263 and expensive.

You can use a more popular switch with a starter solenoid that will likely last longer for the same money.

Garry

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Mike'sHorseBarn

I have a 700 that i did the exact same thing to at one point, but I'm too much of an original freak and I couldn't leave it that way, so I put the Tecumseh back in it. I hate that little Tecumseh engine lol Just wire it the same as a 855, 856, 857, or 68 commando 8 and you'll be good to go. 

Below is a link to the switch you need need and you wouldn't need a solenoid with it. If you can find it cheaper somewhere other than Ebay that is great, but it will give you the brand and numbers to do a search.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/COLE-HERSEE-95521B-BX-95521-B-95-Standard-Body-Series/302313946856?epid=1156441929&hash=item466350bee8:g:LNgAAOSwV4Ba9zeO

Mike

kainesdad

Wow you guys are all cool as hell I had to disappear for a couple days with work and all and I come back to all this info from you all and some education so I have to say thank you to everybody I'll get back with everybody as soon as I can get it figured out which shouldn't be a problem with all the help that you guys have given me once again that's awesome 

• Like 2

kainesdad

Ok so i wired it just like the schematic for the 855 shows and i have no fire. The only time she sparks is every time i shut the key off there is a quick spark (i a have the new plug out of it and in the plug boot laying on top of the motor)

squonk

Sounds like you need to replace the key switch. The Tecky had mag ignition and the Kohler has battery ignition. The key switch installed sounds like it's grounding out the coil which a mag switch will do.

• Thanks 1

squonk
On 6/7/2018 at 4:53 PM, stevasaurus said:

Nice PBR can on the floor.  :occasion-xmas:

If that was my shop, my big feet would have kicked that can over  2 hours ago! :):occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

kainesdad
11 hours ago, squonk said:

Sounds like you need to replace the key switch. The Tecky had mag ignition and the Kohler has battery ignition. The key switch installed sounds like it's grounding out the coil which a mag switch will do.

kainesdad

Well that sucks since it's a brand new ignition, so how am supposed to know if it's the correct one or not (if i go in search of another one)

15289235726282059256237.jpg

gwest_ca

I think you have a switch that should work.

Hook a test light to the battery negative and probe the coil (+) terminal. Crank the motor over with the key and you should have a steady light at the coil (+). Let the key relax to the run position and the light should still be on.

If you have that move the light probe to the coil (-) post. Crank the starter again and the light should turn on and off as the engine turns.

Let us know what you find.

Garry