Tgtack

Best directions to show

Tgtack

For those coming from the West, what route do you take? We will be coming from Ohio on the PA Tpke. Last year, my GPS sent me down the most horrendous road through the mountains, heavy down grades and switchbacks and we were stuck behind a heavy oversized load that went 10 mph the whole way, took hours. We came back a much faster route but don't remember what road it was (coming or going). We will be staying in Chambersburg Wednesday night.

cafoose

Here is a map of the area from Somerset on the turnpike if you click the + and - on the lower right corner you can zoom in or click on the map and hold the button while moving the mouse you can drag the map around:

Edited by cafoose

Ed Kennell

You probably came on rt 30 over the Appalachians.    Then returned via the turnpike tunneling through the mountains.

19richie66

I’m coming up from florida and was wondering also about the best way. We are coming up I-95 and stopping over in NC close to Greenville. Was hoping to avoid DC and have a route taking me on the bypass around Richmond, Va. and taking me NW up to 81 which shoots me straight up into Chambersburg. Does that sound right to anyone else that has been that way? 

Racinbob

I was advised to avoid DC at all costs and I wanted to minimize driving time in Maryland so I took 95 to 26 towards Columbia, then 77 to 81 into Chambersburg. There was very little time and distance difference and the scenery was great. :auto-car:

• Like 6

19richie66

We have to make a stop over in NC and thats past 26 but the route I have sends us to 81. I would love to avoid all high speed traffic but I know it’s not possible. Think I’ll roll the dice and take the provided route. 

Racinbob

That's probably 64 out of Richmond to 81. At least you'll avoid DC. I've never driven around DC but was told to expect a 2 hour delay at best. :)

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

My last trip to Florida, I made the mistake of heading South on I-83....took me 4 hours to go the 85 miles  from home  to DC. 

Go West young man and get on I-81 ASAP

• Like 2

Tgtack
9 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

You probably came on rt 30 over the Appalachians.    Then returned via the turnpike tunneling through the mountains.

Ed Kennell, so what is best route to avoid rte 30 and stay out of mountains? I don't mind a longer hwy distance if faster. About killed my brakes last year.

WHX??

I've got Karen (my GPS) set to avoid toll roads. Is the quickest way but for 200 in tolls last time I coulda bought a whole tractor!

Whatever route you guys take, drive carful, safe &  watch out for the other guy! :auto-swerve:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

I have my route mapped and ready to go. I-95 to 64 NW to 81 N to Chambersburg. 👍. See ya there!

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

Tgtack,

Rt 30 is the only direct route to Chambersburg  from the West.   It is a beautiful mountain drive, but it is filled with steep grades and switchbacks.   With my F-150 with the tow/haul gear, it is not a problem. 

Your only alternatives to avoid the two lane rt 30 mountain road would be to use the Pa Turnpike through the mountains to rt 81, then backtrack SW to Chambersburg  or take I-70 SE to I-68E to I-81 north to Chambersburg.     

Turnpike has high tolls and tunnels.

I-70, I-68, and I-81 have no tolls or tunnels.

• Like 3

Racinbob

Two years ago we took 30 out of Chambersburg because I wanted to see it. I enjoyed the drive and beautiful scenery and we weren't in a hurry. I haven't decided this year since now I'll be coming from the west and heading back that way. I haven't seen the tunnels so I may do one of each. :think:

• Like 1

WHX??
30 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

with steep grades and switchbacks

My big turbo diesel with exhaust brake & downhill mode would love that!

Looks like she has us coming in from the south on 81 picking up 30 on the east side of Chambersburg.  

Edited by WHX19
  • Like 1

rmaynard

Remember, the show is located at the South Mountain Fairgrounds. That tells you something. It's in the mountains.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

stevasaurus

There are 2 ways to go to avoid the RT #30 mountains.  Take 80 to Youngstown catch 76.  Take all the way to PA RT 997 follow south to Roxbury and all the way to Scotland and Interstate 81.  Nice ride, tunnels on the interstate...ends up being about the same time as going RT #30 over the hills.

The other way...80 to 76 and catch Rt #70 south into Maryland...take to RT#81 just before Hagerstown and head north.

Both ways are very nice and Highway 997 is very good road through the Penn countryside.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 5

Butch

What's the address I need to put in my GPS?

Thanks!!

Butch

• Like 1

WHX??

Try 615 Narrows  Road Biglerville, Pa 17307 Butch and see what shakes.

• Like 4

squonk

I'm glad I know the way. My first time my GPS got me to Arentdsville and then the GPS just stopped. It showed the road ending! :lol:

• Haha 3

953 nut
On 6/6/2018 at 7:03 AM, 19richie66 said:

I’m coming up from florida and was wondering also about the best way. We are coming up I-95 and stopping over in NC close to Greenville. Was hoping to avoid DC and have a route taking me on the bypass around Richmond, Va. and taking me NW up to 81 which shoots me straight up into Chambersburg. Does that sound right to anyone else that has been that way? 

From Greenville I would go 85 East to I-77 North (expect slow go around Charlotte/Morresville) then onto I-81 North. You could stop in Mt. Airy and visit the Barney Phife Museum,              or not!              :ychain:

• Haha 2

19richie66

I’ll check it out. Better scenery that the interstate?

953 nut
1 hour ago, 19richie66 said:

I’ll check it out. Better scenery that the interstate?

It is all interstate. When we lived in Florida and were going to central NY we always used I-95 to I-26 to I 77 to I-81, worked out very will.

19richie66

Leaving from Greenville, NC not Greenville, SC. I-77 is way out of the way leaving from where we will be. I can imagine that route is beautiful though. 

rmaynard
On 6/6/2018 at 7:34 AM, Racinbob said:

That's probably 64 out of Richmond to 81. At least you'll avoid DC. I've never driven around DC but was told to expect a 2 hour delay at best. :)

From Northern Va, around DC and into Maryland, you can find yourself getting into an HOV lane without knowing it. Some of them are next to impossible to get out of if you are not intimately familiar with the area. Right around Tysons Corner Va is the worst. When I go from my home in Maryland to the Outer Banks of North Carolina and back again, there is really no way to avoid that route. So, if I were coming from the south and headed to central PA, I think that I would use the 64/81 route as well. It's only listed as about 15 minutes slower, but in reality, it may save you a couple of hours.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Thats my plan! 

• Like 2