The Gman

500 special near to me

The Gman

Hi guys, gals.

A 500 special came up for sale in my neck or the woods. Owner says it runs. I've read thru some great threads on this one but still not sure if it would be that special. I need some convincing or un-convincing if you will. He's asking 300. Thought maybe 200 but I just don't know.

On the fence.

ad_1528057477753.jpg

ad_1528057512203.jpg

ad_1528057506843.jpg

ad_1528057484479.jpg

ad_1528057500908.jpg

ad_1528057491283.jpg

• Like 1

rjg854

Do you know if will run? Looks like it's going to need a lot of TLC. 

• Like 2

AMC RULES

How often do you see them come up for sale? 

• Like 2

The Gman
8 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

How often do you see them come up for sale? 

First one up here

Been a horseman for 6 years

Edited by The Gman
Add comment
  • Like 2

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:               Lots of little bits and pieces are missing and that can add up to a headache chasing down parts as well as the cost.

The 500 special was a reference to the :wh: sponsorship involvement in the Indianapolis 500. The only thing different than most others of the time is the specials had a little different decal set. The limited production is a hard call on adding value. To me it would seem like a money pit unless the rest of the parts are in a box not shown. The 500 Special had the same engine as the Lawn Ranger.

• Like 1

ol550

My :twocents-02cents:.  That thing hasn't run in years.  If he can start it for you, maybe $100. Looks like the shifter boot may be bad too. Most likely transmission full of water.

• Like 4

SPINJIM

If the seller claims it runs, make him prove it to you.    It's basically a Commando 6 with the inferior Tecumseh engine and different decals, and the decals are not in great shape.   The engine looks like it is dead.   If he can show that it runs, maybe worth $100.   Otherwise, say "no thank you".

Jim

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 3

Racinbob

500 Specials were only made in 1968 and when it comes down to it, no more than just a low line machine with recoil start and a Tecky. Regardless, I think there's a cool factor to them. I tried to talk my dad into buying one when I saw it on Chandlers sales floor but he wouldn't because of the motor. A while back I was given two 'parts only' tractors, a 657 and a 500 Special. Now I have the 500 Special that I wanted 50 years ago......but with a few changes that might have convinced my dad to get one back then. The fender and seat are done as well as the belt guard. Finishing will be soon.

I agree with the others here. Maybe $100. The deck does look decent though. :)

500 Special 021517 1.JPG

• Like 7

Eric Capozzi

Racinbob that’s a nice machine you got there. I just bought a 500 yesterday. The owner says he bought it off the original dealer 22 years ago but it appears some things have been changed before he got it. I have a few things to find to make it “right” whatever that is 

ACA0F9D0-BB51-4A8A-97F6-AA10EBF3EBC2.jpeg

• Like 6

Racinbob

Thanks Eric. You picked up a dandy. Sure, some things have been changed but not near as many as the changes I made to mine. How many 50 year old machines don't have some changes? I like yours as is but it would be cool if you got it back as close to original as possible or made it just the way you want it. Here's a later shot with a couple more things done. :)

5b71f4638e9a1_500Special0710183.JPG.7d87030620d7712e6effa082f4093f90.JPG

• Like 3

WHX??

Guy had one fairly local not long ago for 700  and was restored immaculate but just couldn't swing it at the time. I agree on the cool factor thing Bob. I'd have to stick to my non running limit of 100 on this one Gman. Maybe a tad more if he had that box and could hear it run.

• Like 1

Eric Capozzi

Someone painted the one I just bought, it looks to be several years ago but the stickers have paint on them and I noticed a paint line and two different reds. I’m kinda OCD when it comes to things like that. 

• Like 1

Racinbob

I can't fault you on that. Maybe a good buffing and a set of Terrys decals? :)

• Like 1

Eric Capozzi

Already shopping :D

• Like 1