Sign in to follow this  
Old Iron

towing a cart w/ slot hitch

Old Iron

Can anyone share pictures of how they use their slot hitch to tow a cart? The cable was disconected on mine when I got it and I'm sure it was to use it to tow. If it stays conected to the lift arm it's obvious the trouble that will be had. Did Wheel Horse not take into consideration the fact a cart may be towed using the slot hitch? I have a few ideas of my own, but I'd like to see what others are doing with theirs. I am always open to good ideas. Thanks. :thumbs:

CasualObserver

yep, there is a flat bar insert for the slot hitch just for that purpose. Basically just a flat piece of steel about 6-8 inches long with couple of holes in it. Has a slight bend to be level when the slot hitch is raised. I don't have a picture handy... but I know there's one around here somewhere. I'll try to find it. Not ideal, because the weight of a full cart can push against the slot hitch and raise it and bend and kink the lift cable. This is the reason they made the draw bar hitch to be able to use in conjunction with the slot hitch.

Edit:

Borrowed this pic from another old post (thanks Stephen) It's the bar on the left side with the four holes in it.

eb92.jpg

This is what the newer draw bar and slot hitch combo looks like together.

2-22-09041.jpg

Old Iron

Perfect! That's what I was looking for. I guess the flat piece that was in there was original, glad I kept it. I see the draw bars on eBay often, are there different sizes? I'll be looking for one shortly. Thanks again! :thumbs:

WheelHorse_of_course

My Grandfathers 550 (the Horse that started me off on this whole thing back when I was a kid) had a cart that was equipped with a tongue that fit a slot hitch.

Grandpop never used anything but this cart and a spreader with this machine so the slot hitch never had a list cable. This tongue also had a swivel.

On the spreader, which was green, the same tongue had been installed, though it was red.

There is no doubt that there were some interesting forces applied to the hitch and tongue, though neither failed in the 30+ years that tractor remained in the family.

:thumbs:

Old Iron

Thanks for the info guys. I picked up a WH cart and a draw bar as well. I would have never known about the available draw bar. Thanks again!! :omg:

Getting the old pin out was quite a job!! I ended up having to grind a huge chamfer on one side so it would slide out. Both ends were belled over.

IMG_3636.jpg

IMG_3637.jpg

IMG_3635.jpg

WheelHorse_of_course

Nicccce horse pictures! Thanks for sharing :omg:

:drool: