Sign in to follow this  
Marv

Poa Annua

Marv

I have an infestation of annual bluegrass (poa annua). It is taking over my lawn. How do I get rid of it without killing everything?

Marv

ztnoo

That sounds like great question to pose to your Department of Agriculture local extension agent, or the School of Agriculture at the land grant state college in your state.

They would likely have the best solutions for your soil type and local conditions.

Also a reputable local landscaper or nursery might be able to answer you questions.

Just a suggestion.

Also, review info here:  https://www.google.com/search?q=eradicate+poa+annua&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

• Like 2

classiccat

I also have some to deal with (probably always there but I educated myself this spring...I bit of me wishes I hadn't; ignorance was bliss! :lol:).

Since it's an annual, my plan is to pluck the seed heads and apply preemergent late-summer/early-fall (before soil temps dip below 70 degrees) and a 2nd preemergent application in late fall.   I'll avoid the PE on areas that I have to re-seed.

I also have some Poa Trivialis (perennial :o)...that I've been hand-pulling (somewhat in denial that I'll have to torch those patches with glyphosate down the road.)

• Like 1

Marv
On 5/28/2018 at 5:00 PM, ztnoo said:

That sounds like great question to pose to your Department of Agriculture local extension agent, or the School of Agriculture at the land grant state college in your state.

They would likely have the best solutions for your soil type and local conditions.

Also a reputable local landscaper or nursery might be able to answer you questions.

Just a suggestion.

Also, review info here:  https://www.google.com/search?q=eradicate+poa+annua&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

Thanks for the info

On 5/28/2018 at 6:15 PM, classiccat said:

I also have some to deal with (probably always there but I educated myself this spring...I bit of me wishes I hadn't; ignorance was bliss! :lol:).

I think most of mine got started when I renovated  my lawn. I think the seed was in the mix. Caught between a rock and a hard place. Best seeding time is fall but pre-emergent prevents that. Ok so seed in spring. Well, crabgrass preventer has to go down then. I think I will just do the poa annua preventer and see what happens.

Yes, Ignorance probably is best.

Marv

stevasaurus

Steve is correct about colleges and universities in your state.  I went to the University of Illinois when I was looking for kinds of grapes I could plant in my area for making wine.  They not only sent me information on varieties, but they also sent me some pamphlets on how to care for a prune them.   :handgestures-thumbupright: