lobo

clicking several times before starting

lobo

Hello everyone, I've got a C-161 that has began to click several times before it starts, is it the solenoid or the starter or what? Thanks for the info.

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, lobo said:

Hello everyone, I've got a C-161 that has began to click several times before it starts, is it the solenoid or the starter or what? Thanks for the info.

It's quite likely a bad connection. But if it is a bad part, you need to do these steps to properly diagnose it anyway so if this works, great. If not it still isn't wasted time... Just a step in the process.

Here's my post from another thread a few days ago:

Sounds like a bad connection which in your case is an easy fix because there are not very many wires on the whole tractor.

Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Remove the negative battery cable and clean the terminals.

Remove the positive battery cable and clean the terminals.

Remove and clean the connectors and cable ends of the starter and solenoid.

Remove the starter and solenoid and clean where they each mount to there respective places.

Also, locate where the engine feeds the voltage regulator and clean there as well.

Reassemble and try to fire it up.

Keep us posted and we'll go from there.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The engine in this model sits in a cradle that is rubber mounted to the frame. That setup requires a short ground cable between the cradle and the frame and due to movement between the two the cable can break from fatigue.

Since the starter is the largest single load the battery will see you may be able to move the battery ground cable from the chassis to a bolt on the engine. Then the short ground cable to the frame only has to carry current for the lights and other accessories.

The short cable item #47 is illustrated in the single-cylinder electrical page of the parts list

Garry

• Like 2

953 nut

5b05434263813_1electrical.jpg.9095a4f0d1f9c6cc8061fb1f013788ec.jpg

• Like 2

lobo

Thanks or all the info.  I've put a new battery, changed the solenoid, cleaned all connections, new battery cable to no affect.  Once it starts you can shut it off and it will start right back up, let it sit awhile and it clicks several times before starting. Guess I will try cleaning where the solenoid and starter mount and see.

gwest_ca

Something you can try.

Connect the negative lead of a voltmeter to the actual negative battery post.

Connect the positve lead to the starter housing or better still the endplate.

Try starting and if it hesitates see if you get a voltage reading. If you do the starter is looking for a better path to the battery negative post.

If the grounds are good between the starter and the (-) battery post the voltage will stay at 0 volts.

Notice I said battery post. Not the battery cable end on the battery post. Sometimes hard to connect to just the post without touching the cable end or bolt/nut.

Garry

Skipper

Ignition switch or starter brushes perhaps. Use a simple multimeter to test starter switch first would be my guess

• Like 1

lobo

Ok, here's the update,,  Went out this morning, clicked couple of times and started, pulled up to the shed, lifted it up  and sharpened the blades,  gassed up and it started right up, drove down below and did my weed eating, clicked several time but started, mowed, came back up and gassed up again and wouldn't start. #%^*  Checked and cleaned all the connections again, still nothing. Went to the parts tractor and pulled the starter, changed out mine, nothing just clicked, back to the parts tractor, removed the switch, swapped it out, still clicked, back to the parts tractor, removed the solenoid, swapped it out again, wa la started right up.  Whats the chances of having two bad solenoids??  Just my luck, good thing for the parts tractors.  Haven't  done any mowing or tried to start it more than that time, time well tell.  Thanks for all the help.

• Like 1

Sarge

More than likely, it's not the solenoids fault - it's the grounds from the frame to the battery. The plunger coil needs a ground path to work, without it they will act like they are burnt out since it's not hitting hard enough to carry the current required for the starter motor.

Sarge

lobo

As stated before, I put a new battery in it and cleaned all connections at that time, including the ground wires to the frame, shaker plate and all. That is why I was stumped. I mean I cleaned every connection on the darn thng before I started replacing anything. I knew that  bad grounds are a big problem most likely the case when it acts like this. Till it quit all together a bad solenoid was likely the problem. I just have the bad luck to get another bad one off the parts tractor.

oldredrider

16hp  Kohlers draw a LOT of amps to start. Sounds like you've covered almost everything. Do yourself and the tractor a big favor. Got to the auto parts store and get a solenoid for a Ford. Heavy duty and it WILL carry the load. Just ask for one for a 1980 Ford truck. Bolts right up and will last as long a your engine.

lobo

Thanks for the suggestion, I just might do that.

gwest_ca

Valve adjustment can affect starting also. Too wide and the compression release can't work.

Garry