RedPaul

Scottsman Craftdeere engine swap

RedPaul

I need some wiring help.  I am swapping a Kohler CV16S from a Scotts (JD) in to a Crapsman YT 3000 that formerly had  A Briggs engine. PO of Crapsman forgot the part about checking oil regularly. PO of Scotts changed engine oil but didn't own a grease gun thuse entire front steering gear trashed.

Before you start throwing things at the screen, the resulting franken tractor (Scottsman CraftDeere?) is being donated for use in maintenance of a city park in the Mexican Town area of Detroit.

The company I work for donates time, people, and a storage area for park maintenance tools and equipment. Owner is Hispanic and doe gobs of stuff for the community both personally and through our company.

On to the question. 

I need to marry up the Kohler engine wiring with the Craftsman chassis wiring.

The Craftsman chassis has the following wires coming to the molex connector that used to connect to the Briggs engine.

Chassis Blue - Connected to Grey from the  Briggs

Chassis Blue jumperd to second hole connector - Connected to Red From the Briggs

Chassis Black and Black with white stripe - both to same connector hole - Connected to Black from the Briggs

Chassis Orange - Connected to Orange from the briggs

Chassis White - this wire did not connect to anything on the briggs

Kohler engine has the following wires coming from the engine going to Molex connector

2 Red - both go to same connection point

Yellow

Black

White

Can anyone tell me which Kohler engine wire goes to which Craftsman Chassis wire? 

Free Scotts Chassis with hydro (it would be a roller if the front axles weren't trashed) to whom ever can sort this out.

Thanks,

Paul

• Confused 1

953 nut

Your best bet will be to download the manuals for both engines and study them.

RedPaul

Got it to run finally, turns out that the Kohler I I swapped into the craftsman has to have 12 volt power to have a spark. I had not seen that before.  This thing is like a go-cart next to my 416-8. Fast, quick and very light on the steering.  If it wasn't already spoken for I would keep it as a trim mower.  I am now more motivated to finish up my little  12-38 XL Horse for trim duty. If it drives anything like this  it will be my go to mower for the smaller areas like the main front yard.  

rjg854

:text-worthless:

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Bill D
      By Bill D
      I have a GT1800 that I have swapped an M14 into.  The original drive belt is too long for the Kohler.  I tried a 7473 belt and that was too long.  I'm guessing I need an 81" belt.  Does anyone know for sure?  I'm thinking it should be the same length as a 314H?   I'm trying to avoid multiple trips to TSC with the price of gas.  Yes, I do have the correct hydro pulley on the Kohler.  Thanks.
    • 702 timmy
      By 702 timmy
      looking at upgrading my c-100 10 horse to a 16 horse. Can a k-341 fit into a c-100 space?  Any complications? Thanks  timmy
    • The_turbo_tuba
      By The_turbo_tuba
      I have a wheel horse 516-h and I am looking to swap in a kohler single cylinder model like a k-341 or k321. Or a magnum series single cylinder. Does anyone have any idea what the swap will entail, what parts will carry over and what things I should look for on the kohler. Also I believe the mounting plate on the current set up can be removed to fit a kohler perfectly like they would be set up on like a 310-8. In new to wheel horse so I appreciate anyone's help! Thanks! 
    • wheelhorsejoe
      By wheelhorsejoe
      Hi Members, I am doing an engine swap in  a 1988 W/H 520H replaced Onan 20hp with a B&S 18 hp twin opposed I/C. My problem is connecting the OEM main engine harness to the B/S, the B/S has a kill wire and the alternator wire go the the regulator. My problem is I don't know what wire is what in the harness and I'm unable to find a wiring schematic does anyone know the break down of the wire harness.. Any help is appreciated..     Thanks Joe
    • mikekot3
      By mikekot3
      Hello
      I want to buy the seat mentioned in Martin Howard's 416 adventures. I tried to contact him but he is not able to receive emails through red square.
      I have a 1993 WH 416-8 tractor. He used a KM UNIPRO 123 seat from www.turfseats.com
       Which seat switch do I use on the replacement seat? My used my FLUKE 88 dvom in auto ranging mode to test the original seat switch. With the
      seat switch disconnected I get a ohm reading and O.L when I sit on the seat. I am thinking that tells me
      that the seat is Normally OPEN.  Am I correct in this? Did the KM seat switch come with a pigtail for wire it up?
      If not how do I install the switch? Where did you get the seat rubber bumpers for the swing up seat base? I believe they were black or grey.
      Also I installed a Briggs and Stratton Vanguard v-twin 23 hp engine swap kit from small engine warehouse.

The hour meter does not work any more after replacing the swapped in engine. I was thinking that a aftermarket hour meter/tach from esitest.com would
      work. http://esitest.com/329.html

My other question is that I can only start the tractor by turning the key and also turning the light switch ON to engage
      the starter motor.  I am thinking one of the power wires in the white AMP engine harness connector is in the wrong pin position as I had to
      replace the connector.

Please advise,
      Michael Kotarba
      mkotarba@hotmail.com