WHNJ701

it has begun the 701 & 551

WHNJ701

well today's plan was to get it up and running, only had limited with picnics, put all the new goodies on, fuel bowl, fuel line, points condenser plug muffler, pulled the head off to decarbon, good thing the exhaust valve was sticking a little, popped the battery in have it crank nice spark on the tester, gave the gas and nothing, pulled off the fuel pump that was stuck and gummed up, still nothing, line from the pump carb was gummed swapped that out still nothing, popped off the carb looks like that have rebuilt and cleaned, 

almost there, but I did have it running on starting fluid so I guess I some what accomplished my goal.

• Like 2

WHNJ701
7 hours ago, Chris G said:

The decal is available. Check out Redoyourhorse.Com or vinyl guy in the vendors section of the forum. And as far as a picture goes, I will dig one out when I get back from vacation. The tractor now resides in Nebraska with a new owner.

thanks Chris I have a big list to order up from him

WHNJ701

well it lives again, I have to rebuild the carb but in the meantime I swapped one in and it fired right up ran good no strange noises no smoke.  ordered up a seat today, and get the belt installed be riding it shortly 

WHNJ701

being impatient I put the belt on and found a board for temp seat fired it up again and took it for a ride, I was told by the PO it was in his storage for 25 years or so, drove great, so now waiting for the seat, have to reattah the hitch, paint the muffler high heat black, and some other details, the rims will get painted antique almond I decided. here's some pics all clean and paste waxed up! it was a fun weekend 

20180528_182831.jpg

20180528_182801.jpg

Edited by jabelman
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 4

AMC RULES

Thing has some awesome patina.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

Chris G

Looks GREAT

WHNJ701

I was planning on rain all weekend but today was nice til about 5pm, didn't get to much done on the tractor I got the rear rims painted and put back on, the mail lady brought me my new seat and fuel bowl, cleaned up the seat and waxed it up, only bought it was old and had traces of red, it will work for now,

not sure what front rims I will use, my temp project look good on it but I did pick a set up from the commando 8 I got parts off of yesterday, those will need tires those rims are soaking in vinegar for the next week, give me time to decide 

see what the weather is tomorrow maybe the 551 out and get washed at least, 

attached a photo of the rears back on it.

20180602_191244.jpg

Edited by jabelman
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHNJ701

so here it is the 701 is done for now.  took it out this evening for a ride.

20180606_172628.jpg

20180606_190254.png

20180606_190341.png

20180606_190402.png

• Excellent 6

Chris T

Looks awesome @jabelman , hope to get my 701 looking that nice soon! :wh:

WHNJ701

Saturday started on the disassembly of the 551.  it has an odd history this was an father/son project resto from the 1990s and has been sitting since then.   they put alot into it would have thought they would keep it??  it's not horrible but needs attention. Saturday was awesome for painting the flat white had to go, the wheels and seat are now gloss antique/almond.  today I pulled all the tins. his paint job was fair I decided to compound and buff first before deciding to stripe and repaint.  it came out decent I can live with it.  I made a list of what to order this week.  then it's time to mess with that lauson/tech engine.  keeping my fingers crossed.... seems ok.  the guy said it ran fine 20 years ago!

Edited by jabelman
  • Like 2

Pullstart

And what with the 551?

WHNJ701
56 minutes ago, pullstart said:

And what with the 551?

life!  an 11 year old soccer player, 15 new windows, and all my other fun house projects,  along with maintaining the rest of the tractors, quads and cars.

unfortunately not much more got done with the 551 or my 1957 bolens.  I ordered everything to finish it. it sat disassembled for awhile and this last September I just put it all back together before i forget or parts get misplaced along with installing new decals, i stuck in the shed with a cover for storage. I messed with engine quickly it has no spark and went no further.  I am assuming it's the points.  the dude I got from said it ran fine before he parked it in the late 90s/00s.  wait til life slows down a bit 

it looks cool.

20190811_094228.jpg

20190811_094214.jpg

20190811_094153.jpg

• Excellent 1