MS GENERAL REPAIR

C-145 AUTOMATIC REPAIR VIDEO

MS GENERAL REPAIR

Good Morning Ladies & Gents;

I operate a Small Engine & Power Equipment Repair Shop From my home in Bridgeport, Ct.

Yesterday I started repairs on a 1984 +- Wheel Horse C-145 Automatic Lawn & Garden Tractor. 

I decided this would be a good candidate for a repair video series on my new Youtube channel. Since the repairs on this tractor are not the usual carb cleaning & belt replacements.

Someone suggested that the Wheel Horse enthusiasts on this site might find this information useful and I hope that's the case.

Problems I'm aware of and being addressed include........... Motion Works Linkages, Hydraulic Implement Controls, Brakes & Parking Brake, Mower Blade Mounting, and whatever else I find as repairs progress.

Repair Video's have been a tremendous help to me on all types of things that I don't have a service manual for, and if this helps someone then the effort will be well worth it.

As I post this there are 4 video's in the series. More will be added in the coming days.

If you find the video's helpful please like, comment & subscribe, so I can mold the channel into a useful resource. It takes a lot of extra time to video document repairs, so it's good to know if it's worth it.

This Tractor belongs to a repair client and is Not For Sale 

Good Luck With Your Repair Projects..........................Mike

Edited by MS GENERAL REPAIR
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Sparky

I’m interested to see where this one goes. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Tractor boy

:WRS: what is the name of your machine shop? I wasn’t aware of many shops around the ct/new York area. 

MS GENERAL REPAIR

It's MS General Repair

I work from home.

My machining capabilities are limited. I have a small Atlas 618 Lathe, Mini Mill, 610 Kalamazoo Horizontal Band Saw, Welders, Drill Press, Torches, And a 10 x 40 lathe coming soon.

It's well equipt for the size projects I involve myself with.

That's as large as I plan on going with a lathe. Any parts I cant lift by hand can go elsewhere. 

Nothing fancy, no retail location, its all about service & repair.

Edited by MS GENERAL REPAIR
add info

MS GENERAL REPAIR

Here is the link to part 5

Part 5 covers machining the new bearing for motion works linkage.

It works great in the jig. Tomorrow I'll see if it works well in the Tractor.

The intro is a duplicate. The rest of the video is new.

This editing stuff is a lot tougher than mechanical work!

https://youtu.be/PtGa6r7REsU

MS GENERAL REPAIR

Here is the link to part 6

Part 6 covers re-installation of the motion works control & linkages.

The band brake is now adjusted and adjustments need to be made to the shift linkage.

The parking brake lock still doesn't work. and judging by the total lack of wear . As I'm typing this I'm wondering if that's  a replacement part meant for a different model tractor.

It seems like there's some wear on the ratchet teeth, and no wear on the parking brake lock.

If someone serviced these when they were a newer tractor and has a little insight, your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks...............Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f12hWcMYPCQ

MS GENERAL REPAIR

Should I post video's on this site as a embedded link as in post #1, so a preview picture appears,or a regular link as in the rest of my posts?

I'm not sure which is preferred on this site.

Thanks.....................Mike

MS GENERAL REPAIR

Here is Part 7 of the Wheel Horse C145 Automatic Lawn & Garden Tractor Series.

Completion of motion works repairs

Completion of parking brake repairs

demonstration of functionality.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I, myself, like the embedded picture...it is also what most of us are used to.   :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

MS GENERAL REPAIR

Here is the link to part 8 of the 1984 Wheel Horse C145 Automatic Lawn & Garden Tractor Repair Series.

Mower Deck Inspection.

Sparky

I heard thru the grapevine that the owner of this tractor/deck combo your working on ran over a dog chain while mowing. I’m thinking that’s part if not all the reason the “nubs” on the spindles are destroyed. 

• Haha 2

Chris T
2 hours ago, Sparky said:

I heard thru the grapevine that the owner of this tractor/deck combo your working on ran over a dog chain while mowing. I’m thinking that’s part if not all the reason the “nubs” on the spindles are destroyed. 

Failed to mention all of those parts. I don't think this guy knows former members here used that tractor and mower deck with no issues prior to all of this :deadhorse:

MS GENERAL REPAIR

Yes, The owner did unfortunately run over a dog lead/tether

The only damage that caused was a slight bend to the sheet metal baffle, which was easily hammered out. The sheet metal probably wouldn't have bent were it not for years of deterioration caused by normal wear & tear. 

The excessive wear to these spindle shafts is clearly old. if you study the close-ups in the video you'll see that. you'll even see remnants of epoxy or something that was used to fill the voids.

I'm not trying to hide anything. If I found all this excessive wear was instead new damage caused by a foreign object, I would put the emphases on why you need to walk the property & check for foreign objects.

These Tractors & Decks were built like a Tank. I wish we had more built like this today. 

My goal in producing these video's is to pass along repair information that may not be readily available elsewhere. While many viewers are accomplished mechanics, many are not. Information sharing sites like this are great. Members are always eager to share what they know on any given subject.  

• Like 1